discogs submissions

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by StAugustine, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StAugustine

StAugustine Active Member Thread Starter

It feels kinda good when a month after you make a submission you see about 4 or 5 people add that releasd to their collection. It's kinda of a pain to put up all the tittles that aren't up, like right now I got about 40 records I gotta add, but its also the only way the database expands.

black sheriff and jeffreybh like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I joined disogs with the intention of selling there and adding new titles to their database a little bit with new and rare albums. The few albums I entered brand new data for were a chore. Way too much work and they rejected some of my filed entries as not detailed in the correct way. They made me re-enter things several times. This would have all been cool, except I saw too many other entries that did not have the data mine had, and they were making me correct things (in my own listing) that were entered in other listings the same way. In other words they were being fussy with me much more than 80% of the listings already done. And I was entering very obscure Russian piano concertos. Difficult names to type for a weak typist like myself. I hated being on the site, it made me feel like I was working on Maggie's farm entering all that data for them.

Gumboo and sound chaser like this.
  3. StAugustine

Sorry you felt that way, I find their
    sorry for your experiences, I've always found their new release addition and sale listing forms to be very easy user friendly , though I do have that same feeling of the unpaid unnamed intern. If you ever need help inputting sales or data let me know I'd be happy to help.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I will eventually list 1000 LPs for sale there. I need to get them all (or the ones I can) up at Amazon and then relist same at discogs.

I really like Ecrater best for those long term slow sellers. That is a site like eBay stores, your own stuff that searches can find. Except no fees at all.

I have a rare classical music store. I only get sales about six times per year, but the buyers are well to do, spend $100 an order on average and I pay no fees except paypal.

So I have cornered the online arena well except for discogs listings. I had six or LPs for sale there, but those records sold on Amazon first so I had to remove them.

5. StAugustine

Interesting I hadn't heard of Ecrater. Seems interesting, at least from a rare priced album view, you don't get gouged with big service fees from the site. What's your Ecrater store name?

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My Discogs submissions are not showing up. I'm submitting rare or obscure 45s and 78s, and always include a picture. Haven't ever gotten any messages from them either. What gives?

Edit, these are not for sale, just for their database.

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Been adding my records and I'm surprised at what's NOT on there yet.
    I have a Police- Synchronicity album that isn't on there. Also Queensryche 12" promo single, Europe 12" promo single etc.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What is unique about your Police LP if I may ask?

9. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

I started entering my CD collection a few months ago and have so far added approx. 20 releases that weren't on there. All of them showed up but what I didn't realise for a while was that I wasn't completing the last step, which is "adding the release to the master", other users were doing it for me. One user pointed this out to me, so now I have researched how to do it :angel:

10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I use MusicBrainz. The editing process is very transparent there, you can see your open edits, monitor votes and discussions for each one etc. I have my entire collection cataloged there and add new releases as I acquire them...

http://musicbrainz.org/user/Cheezmo/collections

11. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I've tried adding a a couple of CDs, but I found the process very confusing. Neither of them were added.

12. Vinyl Addict

Translucent green.
    Discogs lists Purple, grey, and brown.
    I have the trans purple and trans brown, but also a translucent green.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would think that this difference would be a simple edit to the notes details of the other colored but same pressing and not a brand new entry provided the pressing numbers in the runout are exact. An easy additional note to a previously listed issue no?

14. Vinyl Addict

How do i do that? The others colors are all separate listings though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.