The Fugitive-The Complete Series:The Most Wanted Edition is Back on the Schedule!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I did not know that the individual half-season sets were corrected. Confusing!

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

LOL! this is giving me a headache! as far as I know they were, but I'm sure it's on the web somewhere when they were corrected..

LSP2003 likes this.
  3. Michael

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Yes, as I posted earlier in this long, sad, convoluted thread, I sold the 1st box, and emailed them for the 5 replacement discs for the 2nd set, so now I am all set. Still haven't started watching it yet - it's in the stack, though, I'm working on Medical Center seasons 2 and 3 first.

That does boggle the mind that they screwed up this new box - they already had all the discs FINALLY corrected!

Incredible. :faint:

Michael likes this.
  5. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

I know... it sucks for those who wanted the complete series for a better price.

7. Michael

It seems they may have wanted to put the cheap box taken from the original mastering and leave the corrected versions for the more "expensive " box? I wonder if they are going to entertain all the pissed off consumers all over again?

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Chronology for THE FUGITIVE on DVD disaster:

Fall 2007: CBS/Paramount begins the series on DVD with Season One/Volume One. First fifteen episodes, everything is near-perfect. All music, except some limited source music (radios, jukeboxes, etc. , is perfect.

Winter 2008: Second volume completes Season One. All as before.

June 2008: All explodes as CBS/Paramount releases this half season with TOTALLY replaced backscore. Only the theme music survived, and they even altered the end credits to squeeze in the replacement-score composer's names. Backlash is swift and deep. Nine months later CBS/P offers purchasers of this set a replacement program. You mail them the proof of purchase and they send you a complete new set with much of the music (but NOT ALL) returned. Most of the Pete Rugolo music was restored. Only some of the alternate TWILIGHT ZONE/GUNSMOKE/HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL cues are back, but not all. New composers remained credited as only the audio tracks were tweaked. Total replacement sets remain in the marketplace.

March 2009: Season Two Volume Two finally arrives. Anticipation is high as to backscore. It turns out out to be a further bastardization between original and replaced music. New composers are no longer credited. Some episodes are fined, others are a mess.

This trend continued through Season Three. Some music replaced, other music original. Some episodes nearly perfect, others a mess

Season Four, the color one, comes out in its two volumes in the fall of 2010 and the winter of 2011. These two are night-of-broadcast perfect, just as Season One largely was.

Later in 2011, CBS/P almost releases and withdraws THE MOST WANTED EDITION. Supposedly this fixed ALL of the music problems, but something was amiss and it was put on hold. A few fans managed to grab this one. As I recall, reports had a few episodes that still had some remaining re-scored music, but it was largely correct.

A year later in 2012, THE MOST WANTED SET is finally given wide release. This one was supposed to be the be-all, end all. Due to a few technical glitches in five discs - things like sync issues between audio and video, an errant music cue, episodes that wouldn't fast forward or fast reverse - authoring problems, CBS/P offered free replacements for those five discs for anyone who called the phone number.

Word was that this was the only way to get a night-of-broadcast, perfect set - you had to play the phone number/replacement game. I'm hearing that there are some sets out in the marketplace that had yellow stickers indicating they are perfect, out of the box.

Now in 2015, CBS/P is basically offering the originally released discs (with all of the music replacements) repackaged into a complete series box for about $50 retail. They of course never indicated that that's what they were doing, but neither did they advertise this as a version with all original music. That remains the domain of the MOST WANTED EDITION.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, if you're curious, here's what you'd get today for your $50:

Seasons One and Four in pretty much perfect state.
    Seasons Two and Three in some sort of bastardized form. I cannot say at this juncture whether or not S1 V1 is the total-replacement backscore or the "fixed" version offered to buyers back in 2008. My gut feeling is that it would be the total-replacement-score version.

Harry

Jim Pattison, jsayers and LSP2003 like this.
  9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

OK with me

10. HGN2001

That should be S2 V1. Sorry for the confusion.

11. jsayers

I was actually thinking about selling my Most Wanted box when I heard about this new, smaller, cheaper box to save shelf space. So glad I didn't! For once Amazon's new rule/barrier to selling TV/Movie boxed sets worked FOR me - if I had been able to, I would have listed it on Amazon and sold it, bought the new smaller box, and pocketed the difference. I had every confidence that this new box would be correct after all the past snafu's. :shake:

12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

This is really getting into "Lucy holding the football" territory here. Either CBS has incredibly shoddy quality control, or they figured this was a chance to dump some more remade-music discs on another wave of unsuspecting consumers (although I can't imagine anyone who's a big enough fan of the show to buy a complete series box being unaware of these issues by now). Shame on them either way.

jsayers likes this.
  13. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I am printing out my Amazon return label now... Thanks for the input guys!

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

anytime at all...

LSP2003 likes this.
  15. jsayers

Actually they are still debating over at HTF if indeed this new box is actually screwed up or not - the jury still seems to be out on this one.

Michael likes this.
  16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

What a cluster.....

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

how can they not tell if it's screwed up? this is all assumption? Did anyone actually watch it to compare?

18. Michael

it would be hysterical if it wasn't! LOL!

rockclassics likes this.
  19. jsayers

I think the deal is the folks that know what's what with this set <s> already have the Most Wanted box with the 5 corrected discs, like me. Hardly any of them would buy this new set, again, like me because they don't need it now. It is kind of funny reading, folks don't know whether to send their new box back or not.

Most shoppers will buy this new box and never know anything was wrong if they didn't read forums like Home Theatre Forum and TVshowsondvd.com. Kind of like us here at the SHF and all our "don't buy that new remaster - it's brickwalled", etc. type postings! :laugh:

20. HGN2001

Yeah. Same boat as jsayers. I have the MOST WANTED set but am watching this from the sidelines trying to help out.

I'm currently of the opinion that the new set IS WRONG, and that it was a mistake. There's been deafening silence from both the guys at TVShowsOnDVD and the super-fan who assisted CBS in fixing the problems for the MOST WANTED set.

It might not be a good time to be working at CBS Paramount Home Video...

Harry

jsayers likes this.
  21. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Is only the cue music for this new set the issue? Because background music means nothing to me, it's the drama, David Janssen and the nostalgia. No other problems with this new set?

22. HGN2001

Backscore music has been the issue all along. If you're just interested in video and/or the story, then any version of THE FUGITIVE will do. If this new set is as wrong as it can be (most replaced music), it'll still be about 75% correct.

Harry

Mister Charlie likes this.
  23. jsayers

There was some synch issues on a couple of episodes as well as I recall. That bothers me more than replaced music.

24. HGN2001

Sync issues were a problem with the MOST WANTED set and those disc were easily replaced. All of the half-season sets had perfect audio/video sync, so if CBS happened to use THOSE masters - which is looking likely - then all episodes should sync perfectly.

Believe me though, I'm not looking to be any apologist for CBS here. They screwed up royally, whether this was intentional or accidental. The MOST WANTED set is still the way to go, even if you have to jump through hoops to get corrected discs. It's possible that some MOST WANTED sets are already perfect.

Harry

jsayers and Mister Charlie like this.
  25. Michael

SO...has there been a final decision that the new set has replaced music?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.