I'm Obsessed With This Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuestionMark?, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

Did it ever happen to you?

I can't stop playing it. Five, six times a day for three weeks. In my car. On my rig. YouTube. iPod. Amazing! Addicting! Over and over. I've loved the song for twenty five years but just recently put on a CD mix and now it's all this. Find out the words. Learn every chord. Try to get into her head, what did she mean? Driving bass line. Haunting vocals. A guitar solo that's just like ringing' a bell. Those grungy chords on the outro. Stevie Nicks & Chrissy Hind, eat your heart out. Johnette Napolitano created a masterpiece here.

2. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I used to love Bloodletting a lot. Haven't heard this since way back when. Yep, it's a good one.

longaway likes this.
  3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

She's great. Super talented singer and writer.

The secret weapon in that band was always the guitarist, James Mankey. Really cool and unique style on the instrument, not at all easy to accomplish.

Oh yeah, another argument for a talent running in families... His brother Earle was in Sparks and later was instrumental as a recordist and producer. I think he's still at it.

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yes and yes, this was an old favorite of mine.

5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Concrete Blonde was great, Johnette had a haunting voice. God is a Bullet was my gateway to the band, and is still my favorite song by them.

6. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

7. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm listening to Caroline as I write; not bad, nice overall sound, good guitar play, its main problem is a long first verse a little on the repetitive side. For some reason I thought of Dreamtime by the Heart Throbs, although it's far from a dead ringer.

I don't listen to songs repetitively as often as I did when I was a kid. I know I used to listen to Have You Heard / The Voyage by the Moody Blues a few times in a row, among numerous others. Sometime in the Morning / Laugh by the Monkees too.

Last year I discovered If You Ever Need Me by Margaret Mandolph and couldn't stop listening to it for a week or two, but that was because it was new to me. Still love it though! Every Little Prayer by the Ashes was the other old new discovery that hit me hard, though not quite as much.

mooseman likes this.
  8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Yes.. all the time... right now its Schubert's 8th Symphony ("Unfinished"). Even more odd that I'm only a mild fan of classical music.. I've gone though similar phases with listening to the same song every day with "Lilly, Rosemary & The Jack of Hearts", "Ordinary People" (that one probably made me late for work), "Dead Flowers," and "Soulshine." Though after listening to "Poncho and Lefty" tonight in honor of Cinquo de Mayo, I think I'm moving on to the next one.

9. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I had to file away the newest Lucinda Williams record, I knew I was going to wear it out.

Tjazz likes this.
  10. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

What a coincidence you post this, I spun Bloodletting for the first time in a long time yesterday. That album would be in my top 5 from the 90's. It's a fantastic record from start to finish. I don't think there was a better single in the 90's than Joey. Great great album.

QuestionMark? likes this.
  11. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Great call. His work is superb.

12. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I've played this cover version of a Springsteen tune 5X in a row before:

Love it!

13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

"Caroline" is a great one, I've never seen the video before.

Johnette Napolitano was always in my top ten greatest female vocalists ever, she was (is?) just fantastic.

Good song to be obsessed with!

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm obsessed with this one.

OneStepBeyond, ARK, willy and 4 others like this.
  15. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

"Wanderin'" by James Taylor is a huge obsession for me as is this:

Beaneydave likes this.
  16. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I do this all the time, much to the annoyance of my other half! If something comes on my radar that knocks me over my head, I'll play it multiple (many!) times a day (especially of I'm giving it a go working it out on guitar...) Even to the point where I almost get sick of it and need to take a break from it...

Courtesy of a thread on this forum I discovered and listened to a lot of Felt last night, but kept going back to repeat "Dismantled King Is Off the Throne" and "Primitive Painters". May have a day or two away so I don't kill them straight off!

17. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

I began a transition this morning to try and ween myself off Caroline. I had too. It was ruining my life. I played track 2 of my CD mix 3 times on my way to work and resisted moving to track 16. I'm just hoping that track 2 can take the edge off and get me back to being myself.

WARNING: listening to track 2 can cause serious side effects including extreme euphoria, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, liver damage, kidney failure, frequent urination, loss of sleep, weight gain, anxiety, paranoia, thoughts of suicide, constipation, warts, blindness and even death. If you experience an erection that last more than four hours stop listening to track 2 immediately and seek medical attention.

18. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Well for some reason I am obsessed with the song for the past few weeks... I Play it a lot.

mooseman and QuestionMark? like this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Mine...all mine.

Courtney Barnett - Avant Gardener

20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Lately it's been OMD's-Wrappup, good grief, catchy as hell, the b-side of Never Turn Away, non-stop in my car

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

One of the things I do nowadays when I get obsessed with a song is search for it on Spotify to discover versions I had not heard. The most recent was "Up on the Roof."

mkolesa and QuestionMark? like this.
  22. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Currently: Song For Jeffery - Jethro Tull and Feelin' Alright by Grand Funk

mooseman and QuestionMark? like this.
  23. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

That is one of those perfect pop songs. Great writing/playing/singing. Whenever I hear it, I always play this next:

OneStepBeyond, ARK, mooseman and 3 others like this.
  24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Anyone obsessed with Level 42 really needs to professional help immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.