McCartney "Back to the Egg" Why is it not everyone's favourite ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gerbaby, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

No love for the two Rockestra songs? I especially love the real rockin' "So Glad To See You Here".

I'm a but unsure of the song "Waterspout", which I have seen named more than once. IMO it's something of a silly song, or at least the main bit about "Love goes in, love comes out" is.

YouKnowEyeKnow and warewolf95 like this.
  2. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

It didn't have a "hit" I think that's why some people aren't drawn to listen to it in the first place, Arrow Through Me is lovely.

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It may not have had a hit, but they played The Rockestra Theme pretty heavily, I recall. And I believe it won some kind of award.

4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Possibly my favorite Macca lp. So many great songs.

Big Pasi likes this.
  5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

gee ,I wish it was better, starts off great

Huck Caton likes this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I'm listening to it now on Spotify. I guess this is one that I missed the first time around. My first impressions (though I do know some of the songs):

Opening track "Reception"...well, this has got to be one of those that gets nominated for "worst opening track" threads.

Getting Closer, We're Open Tonight, Again and Again and Again, To You (this sounds real straight ahead McCartney): good tracks

Spin It On: Fun! Unexpected (if that kind of comment makes sense)

Old Siam, Sir: I'm embarrassed to say I have never heard this before. Hey, I like it!

Arrow Through Me: wasn't this a hit? I know this song...from somewhere.

Rockestra Theme: Of course, I know this. Thumbs Up.

After the Ball/Million Miles: Unexpected, is my first reaction. Almost gospel like.

Winter Rose/Love Awake; Hmmm, gonna have to think about this. Different, but I like it. (the Winter Rose part. Love Awake is pretty typical McCartney. Okay.)

The Broadcast: WTF?! I wouldn't want anyone walking in on me when I was listening to this. Is this part of the original album? I hope not.

So Glad To See You Here: Nope. Doesn't do it for me.

Baby's Request: I guess I like it, but don't know that I would end the album with something like this.

Anyway, this is my knee-jerk initial reaction, which is that it certainly is NOT my favorite McCartney album.

7. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Seems like you enjoyed most of it.

Just a thought: the opening track ("Reception") is supposed to be like listening to a radio, and then the dial gets switched, and WHAM! - we blast into "Getting Closer". And yes, "The Broadcast" is on the original album. When heard in context of the rest, it goes back to the "radio" format idea.

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Was "Arrow Through Me" the single? Somewhere?

9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it was a single somewhere. (Anybody?) It's a pretty popular track, and I remember it was in a Chevy Chase film.

Zeki likes this.
  10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

One thing this thread has convinced me of, is that BACK TO THE EGG will now definitely be my #1 go-to pick for "Most Underrated McCartney Album"! I usually choose the under-appreciated OFF THE GROUND for this, but at least OTG is a little more understandable to me; but BTTE is a solid Paul record.

Shak Cohen and dlm1129 like this.
  11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I agree Side 2 is weaker, but it still contains two of his strongest tracks of the 70's "Love Awake" and "To You."

12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

--and I'd add "Rockestra Theme" and "So Glad To See You Here". Along with "To You", there are three solid Rockers right there on Side 2 .

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Here is my preferred tracklist for the album - the way it should have been:

Back To The Egg

Side 1

1. We're Open Tonight
    2. Getting Closer
    3. Daytime Nighttime Suffering
    4. Baby's Request
    5. Again and Again and Again
    6. Old Siam, Sir
    7. Arrow Through Me

Side 2

1. Cage
    2. After the Ball/Million Miles
    3. Spin It On
    4. Winter Rose/Love Awake
    5. To You
    6. Goodnight Tonight
    7. So Glad To See You Here

Starting the album with We're Open Tonight makes the most sense, kind of like the way Venus and Mars opens. And ending with So Glad also, since it reprises We're Open Tonight and has an ending feel to it anyway. Adding in to three non-album tracks enhances things a ton since they're all fantastic songs, and they were recorded during the Back to the Egg sessions anyway. I got rid of the silly linking tracks and rearranged things to contrast faster with slower songs.

Zeki likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"Arrow Through Me" was the second single released from Back To The Egg in the USA, peaking at #29.

"Getting Closer" was the first single in the USA, and that one peaked at #20.

So these were minor hits for Paul, especially as all other previous Wings album (except Wild Life) had at least one top-10 single.

theMess and Zeki like this.
  15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I completely agree; they should both have been on the album IMO. Paul should have put more consideration into the commercial success of his first album with that version of Wings, and his first under his new contract.
    The inclusion of a hit single would certainly have helped the fortunes of the album, and the two songs would have improved the quality of the album overall.

I believe that they would have worked nicely because it was already a diverse album with many different genres of song; the album seems to almost fulfil the concept of someone flicking through the radio stations listening to different styles of music, and both songs would have worked under that concept.

I also think that he made a mistake of recording with the 'Rockestra' band, and then not using those songs as the first single from the album; seeing as he had all of those stars together, the single would have got a fair amount of attention, and I can easily see So Glad To See You Hear, backed with Rockestra Theme on the B-Side, do well on the charts, most likely better than the singles that were released.

Skywheel likes this.
  16. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

One thing i was never clear on - was Rockestra meant to be its own project/band, or just a bunch of friends playing a one-off? So much ego in the studio for that tune, I can't imagine it was the former... but it won a Grammy so I'm sure at least some record execs were weeping it didn't go further.

Zeki likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It was just a one-off. It never was meant to do more than the recording of those 2 songs "Rockestra" and "So Glad To See You Here". Strangely, one of the "egos" who refused to turn up at the time was Jeff Beck. He wanted a say in what he played or what he would allow to be released (unlike the others, who acceded to Paul).

theMess likes this.
  18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I heartily recommend this documentary film on the recordings with Rockestra

Mother likes this.
  19. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

This is very cool, thanks for sharing. To have been a fly on the wall there...

20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Always loved this song, after London Town my Wings purchases were singles. Never play this title much, owning it for the first time on cd.

21. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

This review is absolutely brutal. It isn't exactly in his upper echelon for me, but this guy thinks it's worse than chicken**** on a birthday cake.

Sounds as if this guy hated Paul and was forced to review this album.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  22. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Arrow Through me - even if one hadn't heard it, there's a familiarity to it because, in my opinion, it was Paul (successfully) keeping tabs on what was currently hip. That song could've easily been on Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall". Side note: the other night, I was at a restaurant counter waiting for my takeout order when I heard what I presumed to be a current R&B song that was the Arrow Through Me instrumental track with new lyrics.

theMess likes this.
  23. Frank

Frank Senior Member

From 2010?

theMess likes this.
  24. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

A very strange album. Sometimes I listen to it and think it's really great. Sometimes I listen and think it's terrible. I couldn't name another album being that way for me.

905 likes this.
  25. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Quite possibly. I can't hear it at work. I'm not very current with R&B, or much else for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.