Jeff Beck Group - "Rough & Ready" and the "Orange" S/T CD Reissues By Iconoclassic 5/26 & 7/28

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsayers, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

Description
    The second Jeff Beck Group was assembled after a period of healing and reflection after Beck had left the Yardbirds, recorded two albums with the star-studded initial Jeff Beck Group and survived a serious automobile accident.

The new Beck group was established with another array of great players including Cozy Powell (Drums), Max Middleton (Keyboards), Clive Chaman (Bass) and finally adding Bobby Tench on vocals. Talented musicians all they would continue to carve out careers with many well know bands over the next two decades and beyond. The band was moving their rock in a much more R&B and jazz direction. Jeff would continue building on this direction to achieve his mass success with Blow by Blow and Wired. Keyboardist Middleton would also play a crucial role in the making of those rock/jazz fusion classics. The groundwork for that massive success was laid with the two albums that were generated by the second Jeff Beck Group.

Newly remastered by Vic Anesini at Battery Studios and including a new essay this album returns to the US marketplace after a lengthy absence.

Tracklist
    1. Got The Feeling
    2. Situation
    3. Short Business
    4. Max's Tune
    5. I've Been Used
    6. New Ways/Train Train
    7. Jody

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WJXWZ4U/?tag=imwan-20
    No bonus tracks, unfortunately, but I will be getting this for sure!

2. Good news! My old Japanese CD sounds terrible, so I'll take a chance on this.

wayneklein likes this.
  3. jsayers

ShawnX, Mark E. Moon and wayneklein like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Great news. Iconoclassic usualy does a great job. Hopefully the Orange album is in the plans too.

ShawnX and pscreed like this.
  5. IconoclassicRecs

IconoclassicRecs Senior Member

Working on the Orange album master as we type this.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Hell yeah!

Iconoclassic know how to do proper releases, great news

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm in.

bhazen and pscreed like this.
  8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Wow. I am a huge Rough and Ready fan. I think it was released when I was in college -- at least I remember listening to the record (we never called it vinyl -- that sounds like a floor material!) in my dorm room at Texas Tech University (1971-73 or so). I think it is his best album, with Truth coming in a very close 2nd (when truth is on, esp. the first side, it is just killer, killer, killer, with Rod on vocals).

I have long searched for a good sounding copy. I believe that years ago, there was a Japanese reissue of this album that got high marks for sound quality. I'm not at home now so I can't check it, but I remember that when I compared the standard U.S. issue with the Japanese, it was as if "someone took a blanket" off the speakers. Does anyone know which issue I am speaking of? I may pick up this new reissue anyway, since it is so cheap. But this Japanese issue I speak of (in mini CD format) sounded great, and commanded a high price when it became scarce (and it may have been reissued, I don't know).

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Two more great quad mixes, now about to be lost forever. Iconoclassic--take a hint from Audio Fidelity!

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I would love to hear a remix of this title (with bonus material), but an Anesini remaster is nevertheless enticing.

MoonPool likes this.
  11. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Can't wait, VERY excited to hear this.

12. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Tagging them, so they see your message...

@IconoclassicRecs

13. jsayers

As much as I would really like to own these 2 quad mixes on disc, I can't see them being big moneymakers. It's actually a blessing and a miracle we're getting new remasters on cd at this point what with the state of physical media these days.

Thanks Iconoclassic for bravely continuing to release classic reissues like these. :righton:

14. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

Count me in.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool. Situation is a great song.

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Preordered

footlooseman likes this.
  17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Ask and ye shall receive. :)

18. jsayers

Was always my favorite off this album, too. Great solo by Jeff!

Holy Diver likes this.
  19. New Ways / Train Train might be his best vocal song. Can't wait.

20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

FOR VINYL LOVERS (like me)

For those of you that like those big round flat shiny things -
    The Jeff Beck "Oranges" album was released on vinyl by our buddies at Audio Fidelity and it sounds GREAT.
    Mastered by Kevin Grey and for me the best it's ever sounded AND it's still available.
    Highly recommended.

"Rough and Ready"
    was likewise recently reissued on vinyl by Friday Music and mastered by Joe Reagoso from the original 1971 Epic Records stereo mixes and manufactured at R.T.I.

Dino likes this.
  21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I think either one would sell more than Labelle Nightbirds. You don't know unless you try.

clhboa and jsayers like this.
  22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

From past experience, I won't touch anything with Joe Reagoso's name on it . There are also some Weather Report albums I won't buy for the same reason.

23. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

1 2 3 .... :) (I guess this will have to do for now)

Holy Diver and Frippwire like this.
  24. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

The "Oranges" album is a thing of beauty and I urge anybody who likes vinyl and Jeff Beck to buy it NOW.
    Strangely mine was not advertised as such but seems to be heavy vinyl, 180 or 200.
    It is out of stock at Audio Fidelity but you can still find copies out there.
    Get it now, it's gonna go up in price.

"Rough and Ready" by Joe is the one you have a problem with.
    CD copies of this have been all over the place, some with speed issues and I've bought 'em all.
    Japanese import has been my favorite.

Friday Music I tend to shy away from too but my love of Jeff Beck trumped any hesitation.
    My experience with Friday music has been all over the place some good some not so much, harsh and bright ... I understand your concern.
    I like this one but the one I still listen to the most is the Quad vinyl version. Weirdly sounds the best to these old ears.
    GET THE AUDIO FIDELITY "ORANGES" LP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.