What are your favorite filler tracks on an album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It's a matter of quality (which does vary according to personal preference). If deep cuts are as good or better than the hits (which is often the case), they're not filler. I would never define filler as songs that were not hit singles. If that were the definition, then many of my favorite albums would be nothing but filler since they contain no hits.

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It was even a hit single. I agree that it's one of his best. It always reminded me of Gene Pitney.

3. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

...number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9...

4. Indian Summer and Tuesday Heartbreak ?? For the love of dog!

Ash76 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  5. 'Brazilian Rhyme' on EWF's All N' All is superior quality filler. I can't imagine that album without it. IIRC it's subtitled 'Interlude'.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  6. shiverbones

shiverbones Forum Resident

best "filler" ever, even the best track they recorded

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I always thought Britney Spears - Autumn Goodbye was great filler song.

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"Wild Honey Pie" anyone?

9. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the dub reggae cuts on Sandinista! like One More Dub and Shepherds Delight, but wouldn't exactly call them 'filler', although there is a fair bit of that on Sandinista!

10. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

They both get skipped when I listen! The only saving grace with WHP is that it's length is such that you can tolerate it if you can't skip it.

Revolution 9 is garbage and I usually just turn the record off. It's long repetitive and doesn't belong on a Beatle record.

12. jeffrey walsh

Remember the thread title... How many casual Alice fans know this track? :) Guess they chose to leave it off the box set because of its greatness. :)

13. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I've never ONCE worked on any album where the artist thought anything was "filler". If anything, the SINGLES are considered the label requested filler from an artistic standpoint--often written or "cowritten" by outside parties....produced and/or engineered by different people at different places....there are artists I like everything BUT the singles because the "non singles" are the ones they cared about and got to do the way they wanted. Obviously YMMV.

14. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

What's your definition of a casual Alice Cooper fan? Those who only own the greatest hits? And if you think only the great Cooper songs made it onto the box set, then please explain "Feed My Frankenstein".

15. jeffrey walsh

You must be a diehard fan, FMF? Such turmoil over pettiness.

16. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Head in the Door - The Cure:

Push
    Six Different Ways
    Screw

17. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

:laugh: Turmoil?

Relax, just a friendly back-and-forth on a message board.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  18. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Dragon Attack on Queen's The Game. Arguably a filler track, and still the best song of the album.

19. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

IMHO, Filler by Minor Threat

20. jeffrey walsh

Thanks, I needed that!

21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

According to some posters, most of the post-1981 output by the Rolling Stones.

22. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Top choice: "The Saga of Rodney Toady" from The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp. Narrated by none other than "Chuckles" Fripp himself! (Note: not really a "filler track" in the most literal sense, since "The Saga" doesn't have dedicated tracks but is instead used to introduce a number of unrelated cuts.)

Honorary mention: "Misson from 'Arry" on Iron Maiden's Two Minutes to Midnight single.

23. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Every song on REVOLVER, SGT. PEPPER, and RUBBER SOUL that one considers filler (except "What Goes On")

24. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Then it would be difficult to differentiate cos if something's filler, it was included for reasons of convenience where the artists didn't see a whole lot of redeeming qualities? If that's the case it would be hard for me to assign it a value like "best" when those responsible for it didn't feel too good about it. I'll have to revisit, still, ya gotta admit, my list reeks of awesomeness.:D

25. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Now, after getting the lecture I received up above....this one puzzles me cos if I remember right, Blur had loads of tracks for Parklife and chose that track specifically because it complimented the album as opposed to completing the 45 minutes. To me, it's a classic album with no filler but if you had to pick a great "filler", you could do a lot worse. Don't get me wrong, it's not my place to tell you what to think as filler but this album has been heralded for having none where each song tells a different little story of life in England at the time. Curse these subjective terms...............may the OP be trampled by a herd of angry dik diks. :nyah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.