Avengers 2: The Age of Ultron (April 2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

In the last X-Men movie if Quicksilver had remained with the group they could have remedied the global threat in about a minute. But since there would be no movie if they did that, they part company with the character with a full hour of running time left.

2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Basically aliens....as it was back in the day of our non-comic book history. :D

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

:laughup:

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I believe there is dialogue to this effect in the first "Thor" movie.

Although Loki seems happy to call himself a god.

5. progrocker71

Unintentional...but kinda funny. :D

6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Thor isn't immortal, he's almost killed in the first Thor movie IIRC. Banner, however, might be immortal: he has that speech in the first Avengers about how he put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger, but "the other guy spit out the bullet"!

7. DreadPikathulhu

I guess I'm a bit confused about how he could be shot in Avengers because it's already been established that he can collect bullets from the air and place them on a table (he was also able to run in front of a runaway subway car and move multiple civilians out of the way). Wouldn't he be aware that the bullet was about to puncture his skin and move out of the way? That he was apparently hit by multiple shots seems unbelievable.

8. progrocker71

He was blocking someone else from being shot, if he had moved too quickly then he would have been fine and the person he was protecting would be dead. It's the "throw yourself on a live grenade to protect your comrades" move.

...and "believable" is a funny concept in a comic book movie.

9. DreadPikathulhu

My personal theory is that someone had to die to justify the speech earlier about someone not surviving, and he was deemed the most expendable.

Maybe someday they'll merge the X-Men and Avengers series and we'll get the mutant Quicksilver in the Avengers. He seemed like an interesting guy.

10. progrocker71

It's a Joss Whedon film, a character will always die in anything Joss does, he's practically a pop culture serial killer. :laugh:

jriems likes this.
  11. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Back when I read the comics, being a god (as opposed to an alien) did indeed mean you were immortal. This was extreme; if you were evaporated, your molecules would eventually, over eons, recollect and reform you.

Obviously, the movie Marvel Universe is not going with this line of thinking...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Saw the film today, didn't love it, but I liked it. I'd put it in the "good, not great" category. Very well-made, though the dream sequences kind of put me off -- quite a bit of "WTF?" going on. Ultimately, it didn't advance the story for me much.

I also think the film was hurt by spreading the story out among so many different characters. At most, I think each single character in the movie got about 10 minutes of dialogue (and maybe about that much story), because there was so much to cover. I think this wound up making me feel like certain characters were shortchanged, and certain parts of the story were kind of discarded.

Not a bad movie at all, just hoped they'd hit the target as well as the first Avengers did. Loved the mix, loved the effects, and the cinematography was terrific as was the color.

Eh, you get distracted, crap happens.

Well, when you go to see a Batman film, do you really think Batman will die? When you go to see a Superman film, do you really think Superman will die? When you go to see a James Bond film, do you really think James Bond will die? So some of this you just have to buy into.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  13. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I just figured Quicksilver got tired running around and slowed down enough to get hit. They definitely had shots establishing he was getting winded.

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So... wasn't the Quicksilver in the X-Men: DOFP movie gonna get his own movie?
    As much as I love the guy who played him in "A2" (he was Kick-A$$, right?), the other guy was cooler.

80sjunkie likes this.
  15. progrocker71

That trend is only going to get worse as the Marvel Universe continues to unfold.

Look at the cast of characters for Captain America: Civil War:

Captain America
    Iron Man
    Black Widow
    Hawkeye
    Falcon
    War Machine
    The Vision
    Scarlet Witch
    Ant-Man
    Black Panther
    Agent 13
    Crossbones
    General Thunderbolt Ross

plus as yet unnamed characters to be played by Martin Freeman and Daniel Bruhl

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

and Spider-Man will be in it too.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Just imagine the clusterf*** of characters that will be in Avengers 3A and 3B. Guardians of the Galaxy will probably make an appearance, for starters.

18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Is it too soon in the film's run to ask how old Ultron is?

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Well, we saw Tony Stark and JARVIS create him. - ?

Does anyone want to try and talk me into seeing the 3D version? I honestly didn't like the 3D as much as the 2D for the first one and, if anything, AOU is even darker. Just so many scenes in dark rooms lit by 15-watt bulbs! I'm temped to assume the 3D would just make a bad situation worse.

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

He he, so it's really the new Avengers film... without Thor and Hulk. BTW, I just noticed that with "Civil war" the Captain America character will be on the big screen for the 6th year in a row. Have to say that, imho, "The first Avenger" and "Winter Soldier" are the very best MCU films together with the 2008's "Iron Man" and 2012's "The Avengers", so no complaints here.

Back on topic, I also think that "Avengers: Age of Ultron" is a little bit disappointing compared to the previous one...and why oh why did they have to write those horrible lines (the Stark/ Thor dialogue at the party) to justify Paltrow and Portman's absence? :D C'mon Marvel, you should have cut Downey Jr's salary to give 1M each to Gwyneth and Natalie for a minute of screentime ;)

lbangs likes this.
  21. progrocker71

I'm going to go see it again in 3D, I thought many of the large action scenes appeared to have 3D in mind with the composition.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

If there's no Howard the Duck, I'm out.

Sometimes, actors refuse to do "walk on" parts in films because they want a meatier role. Other times, the directors are reluctant to bring a big name on only for a minute or two because they're too busy trying to deal with the other characters. As it was, I was dizzy with the sheer number of characters and stories in the film, and I think that's one of the things that lessened its impact.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  23. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

:righton:
    They at least made it a character moment, but it still called attention to itself in a strange way.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah - I was actually pretty surprised that Joss Whedon commented to often about the 3D effects on the BluRay commentary track for the first one. Made me feel a little guilty for buying the 2D edition. Like I'd bought the Beatles in Stereo.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Still amazed that Stark hasn't been slapped with a dozen huge lawsuits and Injunctions.

The Avengers...we lay waste to cities and just walk away and party!

Lownote30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.