Numbers that consist of studio and live portions (not overdubs)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dondy, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac Thread Starter

I'm not thinking of studio overdubs on live recordings but real "frankenstein'ed" numbers that were patched together with live and studio pieces. Hope we haven't had a omprehensive thread on that in the past.

I seem to remember that back in the day when the album was popular, someone told me that on Manfred Mann's Earthband's "Watch" album, "Davey's on the Road Again" (or was it "Mighty Quinn"?) had the beginning and the end from a live performance, with the middle studio section spliced in. Don't know if that is true, though.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Frank Zappa has his share of these.

"The Muffin Man" and "Yo Mama" for starters.

craigh likes this.
  3. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

The Grateful Dead - That's It For The Other One (1968)

Studio recording morphs into four live Dead recordings playing simultaneously.

PhoffiFozz, MonkeyLizard and davmar77 like this.
  4. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Jackson Browne-Running On Empty

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

That's not entirely live?

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Train Kept A Rollin by Aerosmith?

Might just be dubbed in crowd sounds but always seemed like the whole song changes at that point.

Mark

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't remember anything on Running On Empty being done in the studio, but I remember the track "The Road" starting with a backstage or soundcheck recording and switching to a concert halfway through.

markbrow and Monosterio like this.
  8. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

The Broken / Head Over Heels / Broken medley on Songs From The Big Chair by Tears For Fears

ARK, Mark Wilson and PhoffiFozz like this.
  9. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

i think it's all edited live performances with lots of overdubs. the thing about the earth band is, they had a certain magic live that wasn't present on their pure studio recordings. i guess that must've been the reason for them using the live performances. Either way, Side 1 is superior.

10. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Violent Femmes' "Lies" off their best of.

11. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

"The Night Watch" from King Crimson's Starless And Bible Black.
    Intro until just after Wetton's first verse is all live, then it cuts to a studio take. The rest of the live version was deemed unusable because the mellotron burnt itself out during the latter part of the song - something that you can actually hear when the whole gig (Amsterdam 1973) was issued on The Night Watch double cd many years later.

12. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

"Yo Mama" isn't quite what the OP was after I don't think. Along with the whole of the Sheik Yerbouti album (and many other Zappa releases) it's a live recording with later overdubs. But "Muffin Man" does directly cut from a studio intro to a live recording.

13. lego

lego Active Member

Putta Block - The Fall

14. PancakeRecords

PancakeRecords Forum Resident

"Certifiable #1 Smash" from Kevin Gilbert's "Shaming of the True". Kevin's vocal was recorded live, the studio backing track completed after his death. You can still hear parts of the live backing bleeding through his vocal mic.

15. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

The Mars Volta's 'Scab Dates' album has some studio stuff mixed in. The album opens up with some "studio stuff", and later on there's like a "studio stuff" interlude. And they're not trying to hide it. Some mind it, I don't.

16. Monosterio

I looked that up earlier because I was thinking of posting it. The whole thing is a studio creation.

Mark Wilson and BIG ED like this.
  17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I don't know if Neil Diamond's America falls into this. They at least make the beginning sound live but maybe it was faked out in the studio.

18. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

"Sivad" from Miles Davis' Live Evil.
    In reality it's a live take of "Directions", which cuts into an edit of a studio version of "Honky Tonk", which in turn cuts to a live version of "Honky Tonk".

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  19. lego

lego Active Member

I Believe In Anarchy - The Exploited

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although it is two different songs there is a smooth edit from studio to live in the "Fine Girl" - "Easy Meat" segue on Tinsel Town Rebellion.

21. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Depeche Mode - A Question Of Time (New Town Mix/Live Mix) from the limited Black Celebration 12" single.

BigManRestless likes this.
  22. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

"The Road" from "Running on Empty", half from a motel room, half on stage.

23. Monosterio

I thought the poster was referring to the song, not the album. As I understood it, the OP was asking for songs.

24. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

There were parts done in a studio, rehearsal hall, sound check, hotel room, on the bus, and onstage.

25. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I was talking about the whole album, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.