Electric Recording Co. article from The Telegraph - classical vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinymontgomery, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

just read this on another Board , pretty cool stuff ............be even better if it was more available to the average person .
    I wonder if bootlegs from China will start popping up ?

3. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

4. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

I know this is very niche (and pretty high end) but has anyone else taken the plunge yet with these Electric Recording Co vinyl all-valve reissues? I decided to throw my lot in with the Stereo reissues as to get hold of mint copies of the originals would cost at least fours arms and a leg. I just received the latest release, Kogan Tchaikovsky ERC007 (aka SAX 2323), and to my ears it is utterly stunning. I only have the the common Classics For Pleasure issue to compare it against and the difference is way beyond night and day.

The previous Kogan Beethoven Violin Concerto (ERC005) was pretty impressive but this is something else. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has been impressed by these releases? Or more particularly whether anyone has managed to do a test against the 1st pressings.

5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Too rich for my blood.I see Johanna Martzy listed here.I'll stick with my 50s original UK pressings I found at thrift stores.

6. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

8. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Came across an article about this label in the Norwegian financial times (DN.no) and got curious. The review above didn't look promising though. Did anyone check out some other titles? Far outside my price limit. Just wondering if it is really more a gimmick than sonic heaven.

9. Boustrophedon

Boustrophedon Well-Known Member

The problem (for me, at least) with these re-issues is that they take an unaffordable original LP, and re-issue it at a price that is also unaffordable !

whaiyun likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

But do remember their fanatical attention to detail on packaging, tube mastering, and pressing quality. These records are severely limited editions. I'd like to see the cheaper alternatives improve a bit, which means Hi-Q and Testament. Which do offer saner priced alternatives on EMI classical material on LP. Do know, sometimes you can buy budget reissues of some of these titles on labels like Classics For Pleasure (early copies often from original metalwork and pressed really nicely, and they go for cheap often)

11. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

300 GBP for a production record??? What the heck! Why not print more so the price can go down?

12. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Couldn't agree more !

As these recordings are not chart material, how about pre-order only? I am pretty sure lots of people would happily pay £50 up front.

13. Boustrophedon

Boustrophedon Well-Known Member

Here's the latest from the Electric Recording Company :

Dear Friends of The Electric Recording Co.,

Yvonne Lefébure Bach piano recital, HMV France, 1955.

Lefébure was one of the premier pianists and teachers of the 'French School' in the early 20th Century. Having taught at Alfred Cortot’s École Normale de Musique and also The Paris Conservatoire, her pupils included the famous Samson François and Dinu Lipatti.

With this pedigree it comes as no surprise that her Bach piano recital, originally recorded for French HMV in September 1955 (La Voix De Son Maitre – FBLP 1079) is widely regarded as one of the finest Bach performances ever. Lefébure has a strong and formidable technique combined with great musical intelligence, granting the listener rare and deep insights into these works. Originally composed for the organ by Bach, they were transcribed by Liszt, Busoni & Myra Hess for the piano.

The original 1955 10” French HMV issue is now virtually impossible to find. We felt it was important that this magical performance should be rightfully and respectfully revisited. We have gone to extraordinary lengths to recreate this artefact in it's original form, spending over seventeen months working on the reconstruction of the unique 10” Dowel Spine Jacket. We have added some further pictures of the prototype
    here.

With only 99 copies of this release being produced priority will be given to our longest standing and best customers.

Price £450.

(Emphasis mine)

I think, with this release, it's clear that ERC are not interested in making the music widely available to those who would wish to hear it, and instead are focussed on making money by creating artificially scarce reproductions.

Dubmart likes this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Elitist reissues for rich people with more money than sense, plus the occasional genuine fan who will make sacrifices to buy them, regardless of how good these records may be there is absolutely no justification for charging £450 for a 10" LP and there are many other labels putting out superb reissues at a fraction of that price including Music Matters with Blue Note and Coup D'archet with a similar Classical repertoire, all three labels licensing from the same rights holder and showing similar care with mastering, pressing and sleeves.

Boustrophedon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.