Goodbye CDs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by trusso, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Um. For realz? Anyone who's interested in that title can obtain in about 2 minutes with a Google search.

2. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Having your music on CD is like cash-in-hand. Consider not having green bills to buy stuff, i.e. all your funds are electronic. To me that's unnerving. It could be gone in one single hack... One day everything will be virtual. If that days comes during my lifetime my music will join along.

3. Flip Vinyl

Flip Vinyl Well-Known Member

I'll share a few fave sources for new stuff: either subscribe directly at the sites themselves, or easier still, use your fave podcast manager tool and add: KEXP Song of the Day, KPSU Song of the Day, KUTX>Song of the Day, KCRW's Today's Top Tune, and Song of the Day (from MPR).

If you check out my Whyd FRESH playlist, you'll get my handpicked offering of really great songs from lesser knowns, in the past year or so.

http://whyd.com/u/50bf51577e91c862b2a928a8/playlist/4

ogbbv likes this.
  4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not much "cash-in-hand" based on the last time I tried to sell some :)

Having/using CDs (I still have mine, boxed up) is the equivalent for using cash (not even checks) for everything, as opposed to credit cards and online banking. Can you imagine getting your paycheck in stacks of $1 bills? And driving around everywhere to pay all of your monthly expenses, in person, in cash? Not to mention the risk of getting robbed, "losing" some cash etc.

Never met anyone that got hacked and lost their digital music collection. But I know plenty robbed for cash or CDs.

scobb, Grant, Gaslight and 1 other person like this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

This thread needs better analogies.

In any event, physical discs can be spun and enjoyed. Some DAC digital inputs won't deliver the same sound quality as spinning from the transport section. Physical SACDs are the only way for the vast majority of audiophiles to enjoy any number of DSD mastering efforts. The PCM layer of a physical disc for which the mastering credit is certain can be ripped and then enjoyed. Paying more than a few bucks for any digital music album, hi-res or otherwise, is going to be impossible for any number of us to accept.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Are people really denying themselves the best sound quality experience (mastering, source, content, etc.) just because they refuse to pay "more than a few bucks" for a file, vs. a CD?

Over the past 5 years, we've seen an increasing number of "download-only" albums that offer the highest quality sound, vs. a 16/44 CD. Nine Inch Nails, Tom Petty, Metallica and dozens others.

If you really love the CDs you've curated over the past 30 years, you owe it to yourself to protect your collection from fire, theft, natural disaster, etc. Nothing short of an atom bomb could eliminate access to the billions of 1's and 0's that make up my unique music collection. The side effect is getting to access all of your music anywhere in your house, or while out and about. When I wrote my post earlier today, I was on a train. While riding, I was able to groove to some new music I got earlier in the month, all in lossless FLAC, streamed over-the-air, from my house to my iPhone. Having all of my 2500+ CDs available to listen to with the touch of a button is pure bliss! Try it, you might like it :)

Starwanderer, Grant and mattdm11 like this.
  7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'll wager a good bit that the "best sound quality experience" in my best room will make you temporarily forget convenience.

Dave likes this.
  8. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Hellooo, data loss.

9. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

After reading through this thread, I feel like asking all my buddies if they want me to relieve them of their unwanted CDs.

Front 242 Addict, jh901 and c-eling like this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So you're saying a Tom Petty remastered 16/44 CD sounds better than the 24/96 file, into the same DAC, at your place?

Grant and nbakid2000 like this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

You have friends that still have discs? :D I'm 43 and my sis still has a few, other than her everyone I know pretty much dumped them after Itunes became full blown, I have around 2500 and am completely alone outside this forum,lol Partly one of the reasons I joined up 5 years ago

12. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

I'm almost 41 myself. My only friends that also have discs are other old guys like us! :righton:

bluesky and c-eling like this.
  13. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Well this 49 year old guy doesn't have space or time to deal with physical cd's. Places to go in the world and see. Don't have time to get bogged down with unnecessary possessions. I fail to see how some folks think CD's can give better playback sound than physical files on HDD? Huh??? It's the same 0's and 1's. Also don't forget the PS3 method for SACD ripping. It's more doable today than ever.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    MartinR and Grant like this.
  14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Funny...I don't have the space to deal with physical media, but I do deal with it. I still go to see places in the world. I just lock the house up and leave. Simple.

billnunan likes this.
  15. ElvisCaprice

If you like to remain in that physical media, your privilege. But you can't carry them with you as you trot across the globe. I can via HDD. And once you have a secure system down for HDD library, why waste space with physical CD's anymore?

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There are going to be exceptions where there is a hi-rez PCM of the same mastering for which I have only redbook on physical disc. It works both ways though. There is quite a bit of DSD mastering work available only on physical SACD. Will it always be this way? I doubt it. Digital files are the future, but for many the time isn't quite right. I'm wondering also if there's an old "Goodbye vinyl LPs" thread.

Edit: I'll note for those reading these posts that I'm one of what must be a tiny percent of members who went 100% streaming for several years (no CD player at all) only to return to 100% spinning old school.

17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

When I am "trotting around the globe", I don't drag any music around with me. I go to experience the place, people & cultures.

18. ElvisCaprice

Exactly, and they may appreciate if you shared some tunes with them over a beer or cocktail. Or maybe they like to learn a little bit more about you thru what you prefer. Of course if your just a drag, then you probably need those tunes for your down time moments alone just like when you are at home.
    Or are you saying you don't experience at your home town, people & culture because your huge CD collection gets in the way?

19. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I've seen varying philosophies about portable music in the forums. On one end of the spectrum, there are those who only listen to music in their dedicated listening room at home. Listening is an event. At the opposite end are those who have portable rigs and have gear that works in every environments. IEMs, headphones, DAPs, and DACs and they're not afraid to use them. :)

I'm closer to the portable end of the spectrum, but I do both critical and casual (background music while doing things) listening at home.

I suspect people on the "home only" end of the spectrum aren't big buyers of portable rigs and they're probably less likely to rip their CDs.

jh901 likes this.
  20. nbakid2000

Technological illiteracy. Physical media fetish. Resistance to change. Etc.

21. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I am 25 and I love my cds! I will never get rid of them ( currently 650 cds) I love this physical format.
    I will continue buying cds ,especially titles of older music from the 60' 70' 80' 90' and sometimes include multiple copies of titles that I love very much (Each cd with different sound and mastering) ,

Even in extreme case as in the invasion of aliens that are coming to take my collection, even then they are not going to get it! :cool:

Prophetzong, c-eling and nbakid2000 like this.
  22. nbakid2000

What the heck does THAT mean? When IS the right time? Why ISN'T it the right time?

This whole "my room will make you forget about convenience" is great and all, but your room doesn't help me or you when you're out in the real world away from the room. Unless you decide not to join the real world and just stay locked up inside your audio bunker the entire time.

23. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Shh...

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The "audio bunker" is where any audiophile enjoys spending a great deal of time. I don't care about portability these days. I don't doubt that offerings from the likes of Roon Labs will enhance the bunker experience in due time.

Ideally, I'll have two bunkers. One for two channel (music) and one for multi (movies).

25. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I have friends that have cds and records, some do not . most of the friends that have cds and records are older than me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.