Whitesnake's Slide It In: UK or US version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RK2249, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess I'll make this a poll. Below is an edited review I wrote of the original UK version I bought on ebay (having grown up on the US remix). My opinions below still hold true but having listened to the UK version again recently, I do slightly miss a few of Sykes' added guitar flourishes...but I still prefer the UK mix...I think...lol.

I've often read that the UK mix of Slide It In was "flat" or "dull". I think this is completely false. The UK mix puts less emphasis on certain guitar parts but has a much more live (and loud) sounding bass drum. The hi-hats on the UK mix aren't as prominent as they are on the US remix but they are definitely there. The bass parts were redone by Neil Murray for the US remix and I do like them. They are a bit more defined than the ones Colin Hodgkinson layed down on the original, but I think they're both fine and not noticeably different (unless you're really listening for the bass). Other than that, I don't think the quality of the UK mix is flat at all...just different...neither better nor worse. Actually the US mix sounds more compressed and the UK one sounds more live(ly). I like them both but am kind of hooked on the UK mix now (and I hate change, btw).

While I admire Sykes' playing, his style is too similar to what Whitesnake would become soon enough (an 80's hair metal band) and it's the thing that simultaneously made the US version sound exciting yet too 80's metal-ish. While the US remix is very good (and what I'm used to) it actually sounds somewhat dated compared to the UK version. It only took one full listen to not miss the guitar accents Sykes provided and realize they were superfluous. I've always been partial to Moody and Marsden (or Moody and Galley in this case) but I never realized how much that original sound would be appropriate for this album. It's like comparing the original Here I Go Again to the version off the Whitesnake album that everyone knows...the original is just better (IMO). The only song that I think is better with the John Sykes guitar sound (and his solo) is the title track. The U.K. version of the song "Slide It In" is very good but the U.S. one is just a tad better (and more appropriate for that song).

The real difference in versions is the presence of John Sykes. If you like his sound and prefer the sound of the Whitesnake album (1987), stick with the US remix. If you're more a fan of early Whitesnake (Moody, Marsden, Galley) then go with the original UK version. The UK version is more reminiscent of Saints & Sinners while the US remix sounds closer to Whitesnake 1987.

So which do you prefer?

danielbravo likes this.
  2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I prefer the bluesy early Whitesnake to the hair metal version. However, I prefer the US mix on this LP.

I have both CD's and put them in iTunes as one 2-disc album. Kind of my own Deluxe Edition.

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The UK mix sounds like a demo. The worst sounding early Whitesnake lp. The remix was a definite improvement in my opinion even though I don't much care for Sykes. Not too crazy about "Gambler" as the lead off track either.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

US, for me. Sykes rules!

bru87tr and Engelsstaub like this.
  5. RK2249

Yeah, I'm not sure myself anymore. The U.K. version does sound a bit like a demo. Maybe I liked it because it was newer to me (or because I'm partial to Moody)...I'll have to play them back-to back again.

danielbravo likes this.
  6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I prefer the UK mix of "Gambler" and the US mixes of "Slow An' Easy" and "Standing In The Shadow". I can take either version for the rest.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

uk mix is more bluesy but us mix sounds more finished

RK2249 likes this.
  8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I grew up with the US mix but I prefer the warts and all UK mix.

danielbravo likes this.
  9. RK2249

Even votes so far...not by the comments above though.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Must be supernatural. :)

RK2249 likes this.
  11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I went with the US because in all honesty I'm not familiar with the UK version at all.

12. RK2249

It's worth seeking out if it's of any interest. You can probably find specific tracks on youtube

13. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I go for the UK version! I like much more Moody, but this album is not my favorite.

sathvyre and Xabby like this.
  14. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Agreed except for the use of "hobo" rather than drifter. Hobo just sounds awkward.

15. Engelsstaub

Engelsstaub Forum Resident

I saw them live in the States (1984) with John Sykes and never heard the UK version until more recently. I'm obviously used to (and perhaps unfairly biased towards) the US mix, but I like the original UK as well.

It's pretty great to have both these days.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have always liked the US remix the best, but I just found out Sykes only plays two solos on the whole album, Slide It In and Give Me More Time. The rest are Mel Galley and Micky Moody. It just seems "fake" to me now. I think I like the "realism" of the UK mix.

17. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Despite being from the UK, I heard this first though a taped copy that my mate's sister brought back from Thailand - which turned out to be the US mix. In those days - never even knew two versions existed - this was 1988 and the talk was still all 1987 (the album!), so the US mix seemed closer to that album for sure. Hence when I bought what I thought was my CD upgrade from a tape copy I ended up with some dull sounding UK version - possibly even thinking it was a dud disc. Later discovered the 2 mix scenario and had to go out hunting all over again for a US mix version - thank feck for ebay was just around the corner and my first dabbles into surfing the internet and discovering stuff!

So to cut a long story short. US mix for me.

18. Mattowarrior

Mattowarrior New Member

Are you sure about those two solos?? They sound completely different than anything Sykes did live for one, and sound a lot more like Galley, just outtakes of the original solos..The tone sounds nothing like Sykes nor does it have some of his trademarks. I thought he only played second rhythm guitar and I read an interview where he said he didn't do any solos.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Those two solos are the only ones different than the original mix. I take it those are his. I also read where Coverdale said he didn't like the solos Sykes did on the album, so I don't know.

20. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

US Remix made it the success it did. It should've been a bigger a hit in the US at the time.

21. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Actually, we were pretty lucky to get both in the UK too. There was the original (UK) Lp issued and then, shortly afterwards (maybe 4 months or something like that), they released a picture disc LP-with 'Special U.S.Remix Version' stenciled on the sleeve. Of course, it was a precursor to the Hair metal style of 1987 (wasn't called that in UK), but a definite improvement over the UK mix. I don't care for anything after this album if I'm being honest, but on this occasion they were right to re-issue the US mix.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    ifihadafish likes this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Same here. Nor did I know there as a difference!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.