Biggest missed opportunities in music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Elvis focusing on movies instead of music for much of the '60s was a huge missed opportunity.

2. StephenDedalus

StephenDedalus Forum Resident

3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The Cars not making one last good album while Benjamin Orr was still alive.

4. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

No you can't ! Or can you produce an own vinyl record including a cover or even a gatefold cover in original size at home ????
    I was not talking about needledrops or tape copies....:rolleyes:

5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Laura Nyro not getting a chance to do an album with Todd Rundgren.

6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Allow me to add Jim Croce to the list...

7. QuintonBarnes

QuintonBarnes Active Member

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Not true. After Spector left the project Harrison kept on overdubbing and adding reverb. Spector's mix would have been more JL/POB.

9. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Yer kiddin' right? CSNY not finishing Human Highway, CSNY not finishing Long May You Run, etc

10. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

My first thought was The Clash. First, firing Mick Jones and then breaking up. In retrospect, I think they had some great music left in them but desperately needed a break - and I suspect a break could've been a more productive solution as opposed to breaking up. I dig the early BAD releases and Joe's solo stuff but I think together they were stronger than apart.

Tristero likes this.
  11. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

The Smiths not getting back together after an obviously needed break. There was a time when they could have cashed in on a reunion album and tour. That window is probably closed I would think.

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Wow yes the very thought of a colabaration around this time would of been a stone cold classic.

Charles Buxton likes this.
  13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

John Coltrane and Thelonius Monk not being able to freely record together when Coltrane played in the Monk Quartet because of record label legalities and stupidity.

14. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

If not the next step in human evolution. Boggles the mind ...

15. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I really think Jellyfish would have broken through, produced many classic records, and been an inspiration for a number of pop/rock bands for years...if they hadn't broken up.

RickH likes this.
  16. According to Johnston (and others) to this day he wasn't addicted to heroin but had ulcerative colitis. He also wasn't kicked out but took his songs and left when he rejoined the band and discovered the change in sound, it was a direction he didn't care for. These rumors have been around for years.

: I left the band due to illness in '75 for about three quarters of the year. I didn't have much choice about that. I didn't like that at all. That was a drag. I had an ulcer and it was really bad. And by the time I came back, the band had changed music styles because I was not able to contribute anything writing-wise.

(After returning) I stayed with the band until '77, and at that point we had been on the road for about seven years straight, doing an album every year, so I was just kind of burnt-out and decided, "I just need to get away from it all nd go get healthy -- lift weights and eat healthy, sleep right and do things right." I did that in '77 right before "Livin' on the Fault Line."

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Agreed. I remember being already so disappointed in "Sandanista!" (they thought they could get three albums knocked off their CBS contract in one go but it counted as one because of the non-gatefold sleeve :biglaugh:).
    I like a lot of that album now but at the time, after the stunning "London Calling", it was a huge let down. "Combat Rock" showed gave us a little more hope but in the end they blew it. What a shame. In 1979/80, they were the best band on the planet. What a missed opportunity it was to go on and make more great music. The 80s certainly were cruel.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Absolutely .
    One of the greatest guitarists ever.
    88 Elmira is a landmark release and to this day I still cannot understand why Danny chose to take his own life.
    So sad.

19. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

The original Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart. They really had something going there.

20. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I was thinking this on my way to work today as i listened to the latest remaster. I got into an argument with Bill Janovitz from Buffalo Tom about this. I'd love to have heard this without the wall of sound. Even George said he was very tempted to remix the whole thing in 2000 to get rid of all that echo. I always hated the fidelity of all the Wall of Sound recordings sounding like they were recorded in Phil's bathroom (with few exceptions).

There must be a wall of sound debate thread here somewhere...

ralph7109 likes this.
  21. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

"Elvis died the day he went into the army." - John Lennon

Couldn't agree more. As soon as he came back and became a movie star, that was it. Other than the '68 Comeback Special, and maybe "Little Sister," Elvis did very little that I appreciate outside of the 1950's.

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Ian Anderson said that Frank Zappa had contacted his management about possibly working together, but he was too star struck to return the call and Zappa was diagnosed with cancer shortly thereafter.

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

She did the Mother's Spiritual album with him but for whatever reason the sessions didn't go great (He's hinted that it had to do with her second-guessing everything and wanting to keep re-doing things). Todd was pretty much the producer but didn't take the credit.

24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Hi, what was the opportunity he missed ?
    Sure, he could be more prolific. If you want to risk quality for quantity.
    Sure he could have been the new Sly, Prince, Marvin or whoever. If you want a replica.
    But after Brown Sugar, Voodoo, and 2014/2015s Black Messiah, each one arguably a step forward, and superb live shows with a great band ?
    Just curious.

25. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

(Arguably), the decision by Paul, George, Ringo & Jeff to use John's demo tape of FAAB and Real Love instead of bringing in Julian for a fresh vocal take on his Dad's songs. I guess Yoko would have never permitted it but with Julian's vocal style being so eerily similar to John's, I think it would have made for better-sounding versions of the two songs and would have been a fine tribute to the man.

Tuck1977 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.