David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

You're right. I forgot to mention Lou as well.

And that was certainly proper and fitting as Lou was as quintessentially "New York" as Dave...:righton:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    blind_melon1 likes this.
  2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I couldn't stop laughing during the end montage when they flashed the picture of Dave doing the Selsun Blue test. Its tingling..that means it working!

Dan C, TheiPodAvenger and Evan L like this.
  3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

It will be pronounced "Col-bear" as it always has been- my brother worked with him on his first show "Exit 57" and that's how he pronounced it back then-

krock2009 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

And yet, for some reason you still watched. Genius.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

My endurance strategy was to smile and laugh at goofy stuff, and it worked. I had a pretty good time with a familiar old friend. :D

stereoptic and blind_melon1 like this.
  6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Saw him do standup in 1990--very funny.

mmars982 likes this.
  7. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Larry's doing infomercials now, I do find that kind of pathetic.

8. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

We all gotta eat. Larry does as well.

9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Please don't provoke more responses from him, he's already made his point in all these letterman threads over and over and over

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Dave and his audience would both understand that he was doing something for fun on a smaller scale and wouldn't have the same kind of expectations, just as nobody expects "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" to get the attention "Seinfeld" did. It's not like anybody would be thinking, "wow, is this all he could get?" Everybody knows he doesn't need the work.

TheiPodAvenger likes this.
  11. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I don't understand why they are throwing out theater seats. Of course they will renovate the stage and build a new set, but are they really going to replace every seat in the house? Seems totally unnecessary.
    As I mentioned earlier, I'm still hoping this set-in-the-dumpster thing is Dave's final elaborate gag.

12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, that has to be the funniest billboard I have ever seen. And stealing NBCs thunder at the same time! Hilarious.

14. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I don't know for sure if they're getting rid of all of the seats, maybe these were just broken.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I really didn't like Larry much. He just seemed so arrogant, and he would butt in during interviews all the time. Glad to see him gone. I caught one of his podcasts recently with his wife, just out of curiosity...and sometimes he does snag a good guest...anyway, it was awful as well.

16. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I was at the 5/19 show and it was a total blast. Third row off to the side of Dave's desk.

After Bill Murray's bizarre segment Dave went over to this producers and said "What was THAT??!"

The whole room smelled like cake.

17. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

As for what Letterman might do now, he does apparently still hold a stake in Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, with team entries in American Le Mans and Indy Racing League. Some role there might be in the future.

If nothing else, he and Brian Williams could go watch car races together.

18. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Mr. H likes this.
  19. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Exactly,

That was the only good part of the show that I saw. Dave's monologue was dull. All in all, watching him for the first time in 10 years makes me realize why I stopped watching. But Dave has been a genius and his NBC days were the best late night show ever. The beginning of CBS was ok but from 2000 on the only good thing for me was the musical guests.

spanky1 likes this.
  20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

22. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm not a fashion expert or anything, but that outfit is awful. The fit looks like a little boy playing dress-up in his father's pants and jacket. Then the awful pattern and colors. Then the shoes. Damn. I guess this is how Dave dresses himself when left to his own devices?

rockclassics likes this.
  23. Squealy

24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I'm confused because in this shot...it's clearly not the same pair of pants... This seems more realistic:

[​IMG]

25. Squealy

It's probably just the light hitting them differently.

rburly and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.