What's your all-time favourite reggae album or band?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Are the album tracks remastered?

2. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Heart of the Congos - The Congos

3. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Anyone who can say something about the sound quality of this release?

4. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

!!! I had no idea this Handsworth Revolution deluxe existed until this thread popped up again today. Wow. Time to spend some money...

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I would assume they are remastered, are there any titles among these Deluxe reissues that use previous masterings? It does say "remastered" in descriptions here and there, but it is not specified what is remastered. The descriptions on, or originating from, any official Universal site does not seem to mention "remastered" at all though.

6. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

If ya like Handsworth check True democracy - just as good. Don't ignore the Reggae Revival going on since a few years with artists like Chronix, Jah 9 or Tarus Riley to name a few.
    My favorite album is by Bunny Wailer - Marketplace from the early 90ies.
    A great way to get a bunch of top notch Reggae Tunes is that TOTAL REGGAE series of Double CD's for 6,90 € per set. So far I got the ONE DROP compilation and that contains 40 really big anthems from Alboroses - Kingston Town to Morgan Heritage - You Don't Haffi Dread To Be A Rasta plus the most important Hits from the new Roots movement of the last 5 to 10 years. The Reggae summer set contais a bunch of big Hits mixed with lesser known trax. quality is good esp now for the sunny season a nice collection of essentials..
    I show you a link to the series..http://www.amazon.com/One-Drop-CD-T...8&qid=1431376907&sr=8-4&keywords=TOTAL+REGGAE

7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Need to say a little something about "The Doctor" Early B. One of my favorite DJs, and one who I believe mastered the art - lyrics on top of lyrics, along with an excellent flow and skilled storytelling ability. I was hooked as soon as I heard his "Sunday Dish" track, went and got some other tunes and was equally impressed with "Visit of Selassie" and "Wheelie Wheelie." He was tragically shot and killed by accident due to a bullet ricochet at a show.

Early was one of the DJs with Kilamanjaro sound, along with Super Cat. I've posted this video elsewhere in the forum, but here it is again; a short testament of his skill and ability on the mic.

asdf35 and Poison_Flour like this.
  8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Thanks for bumping for Early B.

I heard just one track of his and immediately felt I was hearing something unique
    and authentic. I like your description of "lyrics on top of lyrics."

I like me some "Sunday Dish" too, but for some reason this is the one that hooked me:

Poison_Flour and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That sounds cool as schitt!

10. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

It's a tie between the custom showcase stylee versions of:
    1) Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey / Garvey's Ghost
    2) Hugh Mundell - Africa Must Be Free By 1983 / Dub

11. Dave Larr

Dave Larr Forum Resident

Augustus Pablo - East of the river Nile

12. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

Was just going to post this.

Also a but surprised that Horace Andy hasn't got more live here, Skylarkin and Dancehall Style are both great albums.

Lots of great music in this thread though, I've got some record shopping to do :)

rcdupre, crozcat and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  13. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

14. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This one needs to be reissued and in some form or fashion (as something other than a warped and crackly JA pressing).

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  16. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I finally bought Bunny Wailer - Rootsman Skanking a week ago

17. morgan1098

I finally got this and I'm listening now. The main tracks sound good to me. Lots of warm bass. The mastering was done Andy Pearce.

HOWEVER, I have encountered at least one vinyl rip so far--"Bun Dem" has tons of pops and cracks. There are several unreleased tracks, so I'm hoping at least those aren't sourced from vinyl. Same with the BBC sessions. Maybe "Bun Dem" is just an anomaly. I'll report back after I've heard the whole 2-disc set.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Is that the 7" version? I don't think that has been reissued before and I guess no tape exists then, hopefully it is an exception. It is the earliest 7" on there, and maybe it was never in Island's library since it was released on a different label and never re-released on Island? The 12" version is on the Sound System Anthology.

19. morgan1098

Strangely, "Bun Dem" is the 12-inch version, which as you said, is already digitally available on Sound System. I don't have that set, so I'm not overly familiar with the song. I guess it's possible that the "scratches and pops" I'm hearing are part of the song? It definitely sounds like vinyl noise to me.

That being said, I'm pleased to report that I didn't hear any vinyl artifacts on the remaining tracks on Handsworth Deluxe (including the "Bun Dem" a-side, "Ku Klux Klan [12" Mix]). So the issues on "Bun Dem" are indeed an exception. Everything else sounds good.

A couple other thoughts: the BBC sessions are AWESOME! There's a wild acapella breakdown in the middle of "Bad Man" that is amazing. The sound on the BBC tracks is excellent as well.

Also, I had forgotten that Steve Lillywhite co-produced "Ku Klux Clan" and "Bun Dem," and also, according to the liner notes, "Macka Dub." :righton:

PS I just listened to "Bun Dem" again and the clicks/pops are from around 3:10 to 3:50 and again briefly after the 4:00 mark, all in the left channel. I guess this might be tape degradation rather than vinyl. It's not a huge distraction. In any event, this release overall is fantastic.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Assuming everything goes well with our Midlands Roots comp and that Steel Pulse are happy I may try and license the remaining pre Island tracks for inclusion on future volumes, it would be nice to get everything available.:cool:

crozcat and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Hmm, are there really two versions of "Bun Dem"? I just assumed there was a short version since it says 12" on that Anthology, but looking on Discogs there is only a 12" listed for UK releases and the French 7" is the same lenght. It is a little shorter than the later Island release, but still over 5 minutes, maybe a different fade of the same mix?
    Maybe Dubmart knows? :wave:

I'll listen to my Sound System to see if I hear any noise on that one.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Are we talking about the Dennis Bovell produced 12" version of "Bun Dem" that came on the Tempus 12"? I didn't think Island had released that version.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

24. morgan1098

The version on Handsworth Deluxe is 6:04, and based on Discogs it looks like that is the same length as Sound System. When I imported the disc into iTunes, the gracenote data listed this as "Bun Dem [12" version]", but on the deluxe packaging and in the booklet it is only "Bun Dem."

The version here is the Godwin Logie/Steve Lillywhite produced track. Like 99thfloor, I assumed there was a shorter 7" version somewhere, but I guess not?

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are totally different, I've got my eye on the Tempus version for reissue so hopefully Island haven't gone near it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.