Paul McCartney - Back To The Egg cover photo difference!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

EMI seemed to be rather less than 'on the ball' with artwork; when the '93/'94 remaster of Queen's 'The Game' was issued, thy had to use a slightly different front cover shot. Apparently because EMI had lost the original one. Wouldn't be surprised if it was just a mistake, though. You know, in all the time I had that Spanish BTTE, I never noticed the different cover shot; but then I only used to play the foreign pressings once, just to see if there was any difference in the mixes.

2. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

This is honestly the first time I've ever looked at the Back To The Egg cover for more than 5 seconds. I'd never noticed that the statue on the mantlepiece is the same one that's on the cover of "Wings' Greatest", nor that the light sconces were the Wings logo.

theMess, Paulwalrus, Jerquee and 2 others like this.
  3. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

You beat me to it.. I just noticed that for the first time as well

Jerquee likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

With all of these fantastic new discoveries, we can now rate this as the greatest album cover in the history of music... ;)

5. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Despite owning this LP since the early eighties, I just now noticed the Wings Greatest statue on the mantle. Hello? McFly?

Paulwalrus likes this.
  6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's a Hipgnosis piece. They are notorious for alternate versions from country to country.

7. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I feel the same. But the other way around.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  8. RAM Master Brazil

RAM Master Brazil Active Member

The window shows the very place where the original Paul is buried.

9. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Love the cover, love the album! Hope they put out LAST FLIGHT complete with the re-issue.

BTW, didn't the Stones basically copy the cover concept with A Bigger Bang. I love em but always copied the Beatles! Yes I said it!

She is anyway likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Gotta admit I'll be shocked if they do that. The pattern of the prior releases doesn't make it look probable...

11. Arnold Grove

No, it's unlikely they would include the whole Last Flight setlist. They already siphoned off some of the live songs onto earlier Archive sets, so they likely will only give us the live versions of the Back To The Egg songs (Arrow Through Me, Getting Closer, Spin It On, Old Siam Sir, Again And Again And Again; maybe Goodnight Tonight too).

12. revolution_vanderbilt

Where would that leave Twenty Flight Rock? On the Archive edition of Снова в СССР, coming soon summer 2050?

13. Arnold Grove

Well, they left off the live Last Flight version of "Cook Of The House" from the Speed of Sound archive set, so it is possible that we will never get a full set released officially (even if they were to siphon all of the other various songs off onto their respective Archive sets). So "Cook Of The House" may be officially unreleased forever.

14. revolution_vanderbilt

Unless Cook Of The House is being saved for the Archive edition of Wide Prairie... (never personally saw the need for the studio Cook Of The House on there. Would have been nicer if the title track was left uncut instead.)

15. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

While I'm still working on the cover and tray art for my expanded version of BTTE (I will be using the alternate shot, btw! :)), here's how the disc I made turned out. The two versions of Same Time Next Year are the official and Cold Cuts versions.

[​IMG]

16. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My spanish copy of BTTE. I got it as a Christmas present in 1979.
    The alternative cover is obviously a fake

Lost In The Flood and Shawn like this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I was wondering about this. I'll be quite intrigued if anyone can find an actual physical copy with this elusive alternate cover...

It was still a great catch by the OP, but whether it exists in the real world is ... unconfirmed, IMO.

18. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

I can't find this alternate cover anywhere else but on Discogs. OP, did you get that picture also from Discogs? I think we've been fooled by someone who uploaded it there.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

Yeah, I did. It might be a fake - sorry folks. When I asked the guy I ordered from (who had used the alternate artwork to display his record) whether or not it had the alternate cover, he came back and told me that it had a standard cover. What a bummer. :( Again, I apologize - I was misled by the Discogs images!

maxheadroom likes this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I too always thought they were around some weird table with a window in it?

I'm thankful for this thread for clearing up my confusion at just what this photo was trying to show.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  21. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

I also thought it was a table until today. You can even see Linda's legs! I'm feeling so stupid!

edit: and about the fake picture, I think someone got ahold of an alternate shot and digitally applied the "space" portion in it, that's why it looks weird, not as sharp as the rest of the picture

22. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Here is the full version, in case it hasn't been posted. I freaking love this album. My only wish is for it to be reissued with bonus tracks on vinyl.

applebonkerz likes this.
  23. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

Except that the "space" portion of it is not the same between the standard and alternate covers! Yes, even that differs between the two. Check out the lower edge of the hatch:

on the standard version ...
    [​IMG]

on the alternate version...
    [​IMG]

Wherever they lifted the "space" portion from (and I agree that it's probably photoshopped in, based upon the blurriness), it's definitely NOT from the standard version of the cover.

maxheadroom likes this.
  24. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I agree with you, and the video special is my favorite of his video projects too.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.