Sun Ra was born 100 years ago today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hot Ptah, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Since he was from Saturn, that would make him around 3 1/2 years old.

4. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

wetaught and Mr. H like this.
  5. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Happy birthday, Sun Ra! Awesome musician, composer and thinker. I will listen to some of his stuff today to honour his memory!

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just bought the 2014 iTunes remasters of Supersonic Jazz and Jazz In Silhouette and they sound fantastic to my ears. Well worth the $9/album.

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I wasn't aware of these. Are they better than the old Evidence CDs?

These are two of my favorite Ra discs.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

9. DreadPikathulhu

10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

birthday? he ARRIVED here 100 years ago!

11. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

Earth & Saturn are better places because of Sun Ra.

LavidDange likes this.
  12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I've only made my way through When Sun Comes Out in the new remaster. I have the Evidence CD on that but not the original Saturn. I do have a lot of other original Saturns. My impression just from this one album is that the new remaster is by far the best available sound to be hand on this music. The new masters were cut with no compression and minimal EQ, and for the first time there's HF extension to be heard and much wider dynamic range than before -- by contrast the Evidence When Sun Comes Out sounds heavily compressed and much hotter, with HF severely rolled in an effort to reduce noise and tape hiss, and EQ'ed to beef up the bass and midrange. Plus the new reissue -- especially where stereo masters are available -- have a width and depth you've never heard before in these recordings, they really invite you into the recording space (Choreographer's Workshop in the case of When Sun Comes Out). The result is that the music is revealed in ways that are almost entirely new -- the horn voicings are much clearer, more distinct and easier to follow, and the often complex rhythmic interrelationship on the bottom of bass, piano and drums is no longer lost in a kind of general low end rumble. You can really follow the musical ideas. If the other issues are as good are When Sun Comes Out, I want all of 'em and they'll be the best way to hear this great music commercially available to date.

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

If they released the new remasters on CD I would buy every one of them of they sound that good. I just can't convince myself to spend all that money on mp3s.

ShawnX likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I almost didn't buy for that reason as well, but at 8 bucks a pop you get much improved sound and real nice booklets. So you can really make you're own cd's and they're going to sound better than anything else out there. Apple got this one right.

Mr. H likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, it's a shame they're not available in some kind of lossless compressed format at least. I hate buying music I already own at any price. But my experience with When Sun Comes Out was enough to convince me that for 8 or 10 bucks a pop, and especially in the cases of issues where there's newly added material or complete material (on When Sun Comes Out "Circe" is complete for the first time; the second half of "The Nile" is available for the first time, and "Primitive"/"Dimensions in Time" is complete instead of split between When Sun Comes Out and Space Probe), the price is a relative bargain.

Mr. H likes this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Wasn't Apple's doing. Credit belongs to Irwin Chusid who represents the Ra heirs, and Michael D. Anderson who played with Ra an is the keeper of the Sun Ra Archive and has possession of the masters.

EasterEverywhere and Mr. H like this.
  17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Does this quote from the article make sense to anyone?:

According to a press release, “The Mastered for iTunes format exceeds the standard 16-bit sound quality of CDs, starting with 24-bit transfers from the analog master tapes. This ensures that the music is delivered to listeners with increased audio fidelity that more closely replicates what the artists, recording engineers and producers intended.”

18. DreadPikathulhu

I haven't heard that one yet (soon!), but the stereo tracks on Jazz in Silhouette really shined. A quick comparison to my Evidence CD really made the improved masters evident. I don't have any original Saturn albums, but I do have the complete Evidence set and may have to pick these all up again.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I meant making the decision to put it on iTunes. But yes great that Mr. Chusid and Mr. Anderson are actively involved in getting this stuff out there. Would be lovely to see the same quality put into some sort of vinyl reissue series.

20. DreadPikathulhu

From the "Mastered for iTunes" technology brief:

To take best advantage of our latest encoders send us the highest resolution master file possible, appropriate to the medium and the project.

An ideal master will have 24-bit 96kHz resolution. These files contain more detail from which our encoders can create more accurate encodes. However, any resolution above 16-bit 44.1kHz, including sample rates of 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, and 192kHz, will benefit from our encoding process.

So Apple is provided with the uncompressed 24-bit files, which are then encoded to AAC. If they were to ever offer lossless downloads, they'd already have the files they need if it was part of the "Mastered for iTunes" program.

21. DreadPikathulhu

The remastered When Sun Comes Out clocks in at almost 50 minutes while the portion on the split Fate in a Pleasant Mood/When Sun Comes Out Evidence CD is 41 minutes. Tracks 6-9 are in stereo for the first time.

Well worth it.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    Mr. H likes this.
  22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

"Calling Planet Earth," "Dancing Shadows," "When Sun Comes Out" and "The Rainmaker" are definitely in stereo on the Evidence CD as well. It's a narrower stereo spread and there are fewer audible ambient cues, but it's stereo for sure -- listening to "Dancing Shadows" from the Evidence disk now, drums very much to the right, Walter Miller's trumpet right, Gilmore to the left, etc. The Evidence disc is much hotter, much fuller -- sounds like it's been compressed and EQ'ed to make it sound more modern and "professional" -- and there's much less air and space to the sound. The new remaster has audible all the flaws of the original, amateur recording, and of the aged tape itself, but has dynamics, space, a much wider stereo spread, airiness, and tighter (if lighter) bottom end. No one is going to mistake these Ra Saturn recordings for audiophile classics, but at least the new When Sun Comes Out is much more revealing of the music and performances themselves, and invites you much more in to the space where they were recorded.

I think there are other tracks elsewhere among the reissues where the stereo versions are available now for the first time -- IIRC nothing from the Strange Strings sessions has ever been out in stereo before. But those four tracks on When Sun Comes Out were in stereo on the Evidence disk. I don't have the Saturn original on that one for comparison.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONNY

[​IMG]

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Or ~3000

LavidDange likes this.
  25. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Hahahaha, you're right. I forgot to carry the 1 in my equation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.