Inexpensive upgrade for VPI Classic owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a Classic 4 and I'm using it with the SDS. I replaced the two step pulley with an HRX pulley and added a second belt. The table has to be reset for speed because the second belt will cause it to run slightly faster.
    However you will immediately notice that leading edges of instruments will become better defined and more fleshed out. I especially noticed it on electronic music. According to VPI the HRX pulley is better machined. IMO the results achieved are well beyond the $50 cost of the pulley. Just be aware that the stepped pulley and the HRX use two different size set screws.

VinylRob likes this.
  2. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip, I would like to pass on this upgrade to my Classic and just go straight to the HR-X table instead:love:

3. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Interesting!
    Is there any chance you could post of photo of the two pulleys? I'm not sure which version I have on my TNT Jr.II with 300 rpm motor. This is something I might like to try!
    Thanks!

4. TommyTunes

The HRX Pulley is no steps and the classic has one step for 45 and 33

5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Hey TommyTunes, thanks for this tip. I have an Aries 3 and a Google search showed that this also works well with the Aries. I just ordered it!

6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

In addition, the standard pulley has gradations or smaller diameter that allow you to adjust speed depending on which one the belt is in.

The HRX pulley is intended for use with a speed controller such as the SDS or Phoenix products, otherwise you can't have 45 rpm, nor will you be able to finely adjust speed.

John K.

7. Raylinds

Well, I got my HRX pulley and installed it with three belts. This made the improvements that Tommy Tunes described. I also have measurable proof of the improvement. I use the Feickert Adjust Plus to set speed, and it also measures wow and flutter. Previously, it showed speed stability right around the +/- 0.2% that Feickert recommends. Here are screen shots after the upgrade (I wish I had thought to take shots of the measurements before the upgrade, but trust me, on that):

[​IMG]

The black triangles indicate dead-on, the black line id the current speed, and the shaded area is the range of deviation. As you can see it is well within the 0.2% (dotted line), and is about half the deviation.

At 45 RPM, it is even better:

[​IMG]

Notice that wow and flutter show not measured. Even after two minutes it still showed not measured. The most I noticed on the digital display (where it shows -0.029%) was -0.042%!

Thanks TT for the recommendation!

VinylRob, LeeS and jupiterboy like this.
  8. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Any idea if this setup would work with the VPI grooved acrylic platter? For those that have tried this, where did you get your pulley? Which belts are considered "current"?

9. TommyTunes

The pulley can be ordered directly from VPI. I've done the same upgrade for a friend using a Aries3 with the superplatter and he got the ssme benefit. I'm really loving the Classic 4 but i hear the Direct Drive calling my name.

10. Raylinds

My platter is the grooved acrylic, so, yeah it works with that. You can get the pulley from Sound stage direct here: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/vpi-hr-x-pulley-audio-accessories.shtml

11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I must be doing something wrong here. I got the HR-X pulley from Soundstage Direct but it is way too big in diameter. The turntable turns too fast, in fact exactly double what it should. I've tried lowering the frequency on the SDS but it won't go below 52 Hz, and that's still too fast. What's going on?

:confused:

12. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I am very interested in this. Do you need different belts?

13. DMM714

DMM714 Forum Resident

I had the same issue. It sounds like you have a 600 rpm pulley and a 300 rpm motor. This is what the 300 rpm pulley looks like on an original Classic. It's definitely worth the trouble to get the correct pulley.

[​IMG]

ggergm likes this.
  14. DMM714

DMM714 Forum Resident

The upgrade uses 3 of the VPI Classic belts.

15. ggergm

Aaaaaahhhhhhaaa......

I think a call is in order to Soundstage Direct.

Thanks, DMM714. :)

16. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I was curious, you adjusted the speed difference by using the SDS correct? Or another means?

Have you done any side by side comparisons between the classic 4 and the DD unit? Or more curious from what you have read in reviews?

17. Raylinds

No

18. TommyTunes

Yes, you must have the SDS. I use two belts. Have not compared it to the DD but my friend is planning on getting the DD later this year. If it's a significant difference then there may be a Classic4 for sale LOL

19. ggergm

I just talked to Jay at Soundstage Direct. He's their technical guy and well familiar with this mod. It was both a pleasure and a relief to speak to somebody so knowledgeable.

To clear up any confusion from upthread, my Classic2 actually has the 600 RPM motor, which makes sense that to do this mod I'd need the smaller pulley. A faster spinning motor would use a pulley with a smaller circumference. The fatter HR-X pulley is used for this mod on the Prime, which has a 300 RPM motor. A slower turning motor would require a pulley with a larger circumference to achieve the same speed.

He was going to check with VPI as to the availability of the smaller HR-X pulley and get back to me.

Once again, I am getting superb service from Soundstage Direct. They are such a good company! :agree:

Rolltide and DMM714 like this.
  20. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Thanks. Well thats not going to happen for me then. The replacement plinth I received for my initial defective one is the newer style with the power brick. According to VPI it has the guts of the SDS built into it , just not adjustable.

What was your friends impression of the DD table?

mreeter likes this.
  21. TommyTunes

He hasn't heard one either. We generally buy on blind faith.

timztunz likes this.
  22. DMM714

DMM714 Forum Resident

Yes! I had it backwards in the post above. My classic 1 has the 600 rpm motor.

23. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Man I am so getting this! Although, my VPI dealer does not have it on his 2015 parts list. @vpiindustries what part# should my dealer order from you? I need the 300rpm HR-X pulley.

24. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I also am interested in this upgrade I have the 300 rpm motor and the SDS.

25. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

How do you determine the motor speed? I have a Classic 3 with the pully on the front left corner and I believe this is one of the earliest units. I recall there was a change in motors at some point, then the reconfigured pully location came later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.