What's your all-time favourite reggae album or band?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Oh, that explains it, my mistake. No, in that case it has never been reissued, and the B-side was on the Pressure Sounds compilation, but it is out of print, so that single would be a good candidate for your next volume then. :thumbsup:

morgan1098 likes this.
  3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Harder they come my favourite album, followed by Marley's Exodus.
    Bob Marley and Wailers, and Black Uhuru, favourite groups.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I had a listen and this track has no pops and crackle on the Anthology, so it is strange that it should be like that on this new release...?

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  5. morgan1098

Very strange indeed! "Bun Dem" is the very first bonus track on the deluxe edition, and when I first heard it I thought, "O man, this release is going to be a major letdown." But no, the other tracks sound great. I'm not sure what happened with this one. It still sounds very much like a vinyl rip in those places, but now I'm thinking it might possibly be an issue with the original tape or maybe even a ripping error on my end.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Favorite Album: Exodus (Bob Marley).

Favorite song: Nyah Love (Steel Pulse).

I have the song on single, bought back in the day. It wasn't an album track, but Side A of the single turned up on a compilation. Sadly, as far as I know, the B side (Nyah Love Dub) has never made it to CD,

7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I forgot that this song was also the A-side of a single. So continuing or discussion, are there different recordings of "Nyah Luv" as well? The B-side of the Tempus 12" is 5:56 according to Discogs, but there is no timing for the Anchor 7". This track on Don't Call Us Immigrants is something like 3:18, is that the 7" version?

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I need to get my brain in gear, actually I think the Tempus 12" is a combination of both sides of the Anchor 7", so there are only three pre Island tracks all together.

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

At the moment I have 30+ tracks lined up for consideration for the next two volumes of "The Midlands Roots Explosion" and both "Nyah Love" and "Bun Dem" are on that list, unfortunately they aren't among the tracks that we've already licensed and secured masters for, but if Volume One sells well we might be in luck.

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ah, that would make sense, a "discomix" of the single then?

I made a premature assumption here then, it is the A-side of the Anchor single that is on the PS, sorry...

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Without running them side by side I'm not certain, but I think that's the case, they just split it for the 7".

12. morgan1098

Continuing on the Steel Pulse theme, I'm amazed that there's a BBC session of the song "Macka Splaff." Did the BBC actually air this back in the day? It makes a song like "Legalize It" sound almost tame by comparison. :cop:

13. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

Toots & the Maytals are the best for me.....

14. zikarus

zikarus Well-Known Member

Besides the usual suspects (King Tubby, Marley, Toots) I would add:

Prince Buster
    Susan Cadogan - Hurt So Good
    Prince Far I
    U-Roy

15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Sorry to be pedestrian (no I am not :)) but Bob Marley & Wailers is my favorite Reggae band followed by Black Uhuru and Gregory Isaacs. I listen to many others but these three are my favorites.

morgan1098 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Give Them the Rights is also pretty good

Blender likes this.
  17. nothing wrong with Bob, Gregory and BU!!! nothing pedestrian either

18. Highway819

Highway819 Forum Resident

Black Uhuru saw them live and really good

19. when I read the name Godwin Logie, I have to say something:

this guy is a brilliant mutha when it comes to mixing HARD, HEAVY and yet sublimely detailed.
    Him and Groucho are in a totally different league.
    Great guys too

morgan1098 likes this.
  20. morgan1098

Just an update on this: I just bought a copy of Sound System and I can hear the same pops/clicks on "Bun Dem" on this release. So whatever it is, it must be part of the recording. With both releases (Sound System and Handsworth Deluxe), I have only listened on headphones. It's quite possible that the sound isn't even noticeable otherwise. Carry on!

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

When I checked it earlier I was listening for evidence that it was sourced from vinyl, and (from your remarks) I was expecting some quite obvious noise throughout in that case. I am listening again (not on headphones though, since I don't have any handy) but I think I hear now what you are hearing, there is something mostly in the left channel during the quiet section in the middle of the song (starting around 3 minutes), it sounds to me more like a loose wire / crackly cable, like something is shorting out somewhere and causing electric noises, might be in the recording.

morgan1098 likes this.
  22. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Burnin'--The Wailers

She is anyway likes this.
  23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Glad this thread has been so popular. I have ordered the Culture as a result. I'm thinking about getting some Third World again (lost in a previous house move down scaling, stupidly) and Heart of the Congos.

I'm a fairly casual reggae fan with a decent mix of Marley, Uhuru, some Trojan, Gregory Isaacs, Jimmy Cliff and early UB40 etc.

So I just wondered if you had been tracking replies and whether any kind of short or long list of favourites has emerged ?
    Thanks.

24. morgan1098

That's it!!! That's the sound I'm hearing. But yes, the more I listen, the less it sounds like vinyl noise. Sorry about the false alarm. :) Whatever the case, the question that started off this whole discussion was about the sound quality on Handsworth Deluxe, and I will just reiterate that it sounds great.

25. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Marley... followed by Toot and the Maytals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.