Favorite PJ Harvey Live Video?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keifspoon, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's mine. She's definitely "easy on the eyes". What's your favorite?

englishbob, 905, marcfeld69 and 9 others like this.
  2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I've never found her physically attractive but her music and attitude is sexy as hell. Love polly and still hoping I can see her live some day

keifspoon likes this.
  3. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I love her. I think she's brilliant.

905, ConnieGuitar, townsend and 3 others like this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

There were a couple of pro-shot concert videos of the tour after "Let England Shake" that were pretty good - one I saw and liked was a half hour selection in Paris I think, with her wearing the white outfit - I think there's another of the whole show where she's in black.

5. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

yeah easy on the eyes and what a distinctive style and voice!

mindblanking likes this.
  7. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

This scorching version of Dylan's Shot of Love... one of my favorite Bob covers.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Me too:cheers:

9. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Yeah, that show from Paris which was streamed live right after the release of Let England Shake was incredible. One of the few times in my life where the internet seemed to aid in a communal musical experience.

Here is my favorite:

I think she quit being sexy when it stopped being ironic.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

As it happens I was watching that version of Dress just yesterday. I love it, in fact it might be my favourite PJ era.

But then I also like her other eras too. Glastonbury 1995 is epic.

Ah heck, I can't pick. I love all Polly!

11. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Love me some Polly Jean. You picked a good one. Here's one of my faves from 2001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gdgCpqrAs8

12. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...t-england-shake-live-royal-albert-hall-stream

Let England Shake is gonna be in my top ten albums of this decade.
    Counting the days for her next album!

conjotter and dee like this.
  13. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I know a different performance of the song has been posted, and I know it's one of her most popular videos on youtube..
    BUT! I was there! :)

SammyJoe, keifspoon and Tropehjelm like this.
  14. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Satisfaction! :righton:

SammyJoe, hutlock and dee like this.
  15. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

That was ******* cool :righton:

16. Judge Judy

She's incredible. I don't think I've ever seen or heard a performance by her that was anything less than 100% towering, even just on YouTube. It's too bad she gets lumped in with the whole 90s alternative scene, because there's so much more to her, and she's continued to make really risky, intelligent and original music right to this day.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

She WAS the 90s alternative scene, along with Nirvana. That's why it was so disappointing as it developed so poorly. She herself was guilty of going pretty middle of the road for a while there in the late 90s/early 00s.

18. dee

dee Senior Member

:thumbsup:

conjotter likes this.
  19. Judge Judy

I don't agree with that at all. She's done excellent work consistently that sounds like nobody else. The one thing she did that I didn't like was allow Thom Yorke to sing on one of her albums. Other than that she's been consistently excellent.

And Nirvana wasn't the 90s alternative scene. It didn't become a "scene" until after Cobain died. While he was alive it was consistently characterized as "grunge."

cwd likes this.
  20. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

She's right at the top of my must see live someday list.

21. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

That 95 Glastonbury show is a classic, one of the best. I saw her in SF on that tour and it was a blast. The '93 Chicago Metro show is amazing, they were really just breaking in the US then, wish that was available in high rez video and analog, she was so young and the band was so hot, lot of fun. There's a high res video of the Jools Holland performance of Naked Cousin from about that time I'll post below, they really rock the place ... don't often see many bands that own the place like that anymore ... crank it up to 1080 if you have the bandwidth ...

There's so many great performances over the years, but I do still have an affinity for those early ones. Some of those solo "Rid Of Me" performances really fall in the best ever type category, just spellbinding. And another one of my big favorites doesn't even have PJ as the main attraction, though she's definitely a key player with her sexy background vocals, another Jools Holland show with Josh Homme and his desert sessions band doing I Wanna Make It Wit Chu from about 10 years later, what a great song and performance, and they are both so super cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2JDV_T3Kmg

22. keifspoon

I agree. She isn't a beauty in the classic sense, but in the above video she's never looked better. And not just great singing, but tremendous stage presence as well. And seeing her playing guitar with a short dress and high heels is just the icing on the freakin' cake! :love:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

As a performer, edgy, interesting, fascinating, spellbinding, whatever, you can't take your eyes off her. Just 1st rate all around. She's got the vibe.

keifspoon likes this.
  24. keifspoon

Of course I've heard her name for years, but it's just recently that I started to get into PJ Harvey via YouTube. Thanks to a compilation of hers and all the great live videos. She has grabbed me in and I can't let go! I just can't believe how late I came to the Polly party. What an artist! Polly people, where do I go from here? I need more Polly!

[​IMG]

cgw likes this.
  25. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

That was fantastic! She found the third rail buried in that song and just wired herself to it!

L.

Rupe33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.