David Bowie space oddity album underrated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You sir, are a wise man. Did you not buy the Deluxe Edition? It's worth getting just for the second disc.

ArpMoog likes this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love it.
    It kicks off my favourite Bowie period (leading up to Pin Ups).

3. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Love the album. One of his best.
    most definitely underrated!!

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pre Raphaelite folk rock,with a jazzy tinge.

Meddle likes this.
  5. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

This and Aladdin Sane are my two favs.

Meddle likes this.
  6. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I like it. You can DEFINITELY hear the Syd Barrett influence in the songwriting and "outer space" themes. I sometimes find myself randomly singing the catchy chorus of God knows I'm good. Was never a big fan of the two lengthy tracks ("memory of a free festival" and "Cygnet") for some reason

7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thinking about it now, I have reached for this LP more than any other this past year... Other than my using "Width of a Circle" from MWSTW to test my system.

8. alexpop

Do prefer the Ziggy look version better,cover wise(with poster).

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I've got both and think the original 1969 cover goes much better with the music. The lettering on the inside and Underwood's drawing are also very nice, very much of their time. I never liked the "Space Oddity" title, blond Bowie and (US title) "David Bowie - Man Of Words Man Of Music" are the perfect combination.

The 1972 Ziggy sleeve is also nice....it just feels wrong.

10. alexpop

Man of words'yes i mentioned it earlier.I also used to think it didn't complement the music.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well... there are A LOT of words in "Cygnet Comitee";) But...sure....like so many things that title is a red herring. What's this album called in the new boxset? And which cover does it have? All that talk about digital repairs made me curious....

alexpop likes this.
  12. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Mother likes this.
  13. alexpop

Yup! Underrated, and expensive ( original).

14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

that was a US label move, not intended as the title of the album per se. the original UK Philips album is self-titled as intended.
    RCA were as guilty as Deram in this regard. Space Oddity (as it was now called, another liberty taken by the label) and TMWSTW were repromoted once RCA signed Bowie and both featured Ziggy-era imagery. while the shock may not have been as severe as for those listening to The World Of David Bowie in 1973, people buying the pre-Ziggy albums were probably a little confused by what they heard.
    David Bowie, UK cover. digital repairs? not really, digital flaws, a bad splice and source tape damage are the key issues with the 2015.

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

It is a great album as you can see the seeds being planted that would blossom over the next few years. There are some cracking tracks, wide eyed boy and free festival blow me away every time.

scobb likes this.
  16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

the single version of Memory Of A Free Festival with Mick Ronson is top-tier Bowie for me... part II i can live without, but side A/part I is magnificent.

TeddyB and Purplefowler like this.
  17. Purplefowler

I've not heard that version so I'll have to check it out. Thank you :)

18. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

while you're at it get the b-side version of Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud too. an acoustic version with just Bowie on guitar and Paul Buckmaster on cello. both are included on Re:Call in the new box set, but previously appeared on the 40th anniversary edition of the album and, before that, on Ryko/EMI circa 1990.

19. Purplefowler

Is that the space oddity/wild eyed boy? If so, I've got it somewhere but haven't listened to it for a long time

20. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yup. mono in some territories, stereo in others. some with a spoken intro by bowie.

21. Purplefowler

I'm shamed to admit it is on our jukebox which probably isn't doing it any favours. I'll have to pull it off for a listen as the jukebox hates me and has a habit of breaking down whenever I touch it. Bloomin' thing hates me :D

22. Jae

Jae Senior Member

My fave Bowie album. :righton:

Mother likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's underrated in that it is more listenable to the much vaunted Berlin Trilogy (one side per album worth the listen) and any of the 15 years after Scary Monsters. Actually I really like it and Space Oddity is still a favorite track that alone makes this album worth it. About half the material is first class and it's only inferior in terms of the next 4 or 5 albums of original material.

24. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Janine, Unwashed, Wild Eyed Boy, An Occasional Dream, Hermione, CYGNET COMMITTEE!! All great. Only God Knows I'm Good is a 'slight' moment.

karmaman and oldturkey like this.
  25. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The only beef I have with the '72 re-issue sleeve is the pretentious dreck that is the sleeve notes on the back cover - whoever wrote that was either totally stoned or just really good at talking b*ll*cks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.