Electric Light Orchestra - now's the time to complete your collection of remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark f., Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

I've had all the ELO remasters. I've since replaced them because the first pressings are far superior sounding.

ELO 1 - 1990 | Epic/Jet ZK 35524
    ELO II - 1990 | Epic/Jet ZK 35533
    On The Third Day - Epic, EPC 460728-2
    Eldorado - DCC Gold Disc
    Face The Music - 1991 | Epic 982648 2
    A New World Record - 1990 | Epic 902198 2
    Out Of The Blue - 1987 | Epic 450885 2 | - This is not remastered
    Discovery - 1987 | Jet Records CDJET 500

Lucidae, formu_la and c-eling like this.
  2. I'm curious to know what the best CD pressing of Secret Messages was before the 2001 remaster, which is affected by newly-introduced tape glitches during Stranger and Train Of Gold... I know the original US version had pre-emphasis in addition to a second being clipped from either the very end or beginning of the whole album. For the sake of audio consistency, I'd love to find the best edition that matches the outtakes from these sessions included on the (often admittedly poor-sounding) Afterglow boxed set to create the closest possible reconstruction of the initial 2LP configuration, leaving only Endless Lies, After All and - obviously - Beatles Forever to be found via alternate sources.

3. Redhat220

That's a good question. Is this the one with pre-emph? - 1990 | CBS, CSCS 6036
    I jumped ship on ELO after Discovery so I am not too familiar with Secret Messages.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

My US Jet SM "Now Made In The USA" ZK 38490 has pre, a nice sounding cd as is the US Gastwirt Jet -On The Third Day

5. Redhat220

I had the Gastwirt "On The Third Day" which was pretty decent. The Epic, EPC 460728-2 is much better IMHO. Much more balanced and smoother. A real nice listen. The Gastwirt "Out Of The Blue" I felt was way too bright.

c-eling likes this.
  6. According to my extensive notes on Secret Messages (see my other posts for details of why I keep such a thing), JET ZK 38490 definitely has pre-emphasis, though I'm not sure about EPC 462487 2, which is a version I found rather similar in terms of its overall tone and volume to the Afterglow outtakes from the original double album. Perhaps my biggest regret is ditching this CD edition once the 2001 remaster arrived without even making a backup copy, as I've no idea whether it has the missing samples I mentioned before. However, what I can be certain of is that all the correct, glitch-free mixes were used, and I don't seem to recall it having pre-emphasis.

7. Redhat220

A CD can be de-emphed by ripping it to wave files and then reconverting them using the de-emph plug in in Foobar. It's a very natural curve and yields very good results. Then reburn to CD-R. That way if your CD player does not decode pre-emph properly you're covered.

c-eling likes this.
  8. c-eling

Yeah good question on a pre-remaster without pre :D
    Now you sparked my interest, I just ordered a Austrian blue stripe Epic
    Or use WaveEmph to de-emph

9. I've got a fantastic player that can handle any pre-emphasis I throw its way, but I'm looking not to because I'd prefer to find a version without that tonally complements the Secret Messages outtakes as they are heard on Afterglow, which I realise might be quite a tall order considering how poorly certain songs were mastered in that boxed set... Hello My Old Friend has its fully intended climax faded out a whole forty seconds early, with the opening note trimmed a little, too. No Way Out also has a second clipped from its beginning, and while it's not connected to these sessions, I'm baffled as to how nobody spotted that Destination Unknown is missing a few samples at the start as well. Add in all the tracks on the first two discs that have their channels switched and it's hardly surprising they quickly deleted this compilation in favour of the much better "apology" title, Strange Magic, though it's a shame they also dropped all of the previously unreleased material, b-sides and deep cuts, since they deserve a sonic upgrade as well - especially now some of them are unlikely to be reissued on CD ever again unless Jeff Lynne finally approves the full double LP treatment of Secret Messages or that similarly proposed complete singles collection, where Buildings Have Eyes and A Matter Of Fact would have featured along with the digital debut of Xanadu leftover, Drum Dreams, plus the alternate mix of A Matter Of Fact (that is correctly titled I Know That You Know That) boasting very different, early lyrics.

cmi likes this.
  10. Redhat220

Wow, that's comprehensive. It's obvious you are a huge ELO fan. I hope you find what you are seeking.

11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Same here. The remasters are decent but I didn't feel they were improvements, they are missing a certain 'musicality' the originals had.
    By the way, the best sounding Out of the Blue I've heard is the early Japanese CD, a reissue can be purchased cheaply on Amazon Japan.

Redhat220 likes this.
  12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I have the albums box. I'm good.

13. c-eling

Shard I just received the Austrian Blue -EPC 462487 2, It does have pre-emphasis found the in TOC, I'm going to de-emph it and see how she sounds, nice booklet compared to the US foldout, but without the added art carried over from the vinyl :cheers:

14. These are the four key points I always check any CD version of Secret Messages against:

1. Does the TOC include pre-emphasis?
    2. Is there a tape glitch during Stranger ("distant be-ells") at approximately 3:14?
    3. Are there tape glitches during Train Of Gold, heard in the middle of a repeated string run, at approximately 2:31 and 4:07?
    4. Is the correct, full-length album mix* of Rock 'N' Roll Is King used, complete with brief opening message and closing section?

*If the song begins without a brief reversed piece and has a clean last note (that isn't just quickly faded to edit out the last part), this is the original US single mix.

The earliest copies of the 2001 remaster failed on the last three points, though a rectified edition was quickly issued to fix at least #4. Sadly, #2 and #3 have yet to be addressed, while many previous CD pressings suffer because of #1.

Grawlix and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

Thanks, for the error list appreciated!, no glitches on this Austrian edition, if you want samples let me know, I'll dropbox it :cheers:
    Edit:I don't hear them on the ZK either

16. One of the problems I seem to recall with the ZK is that it has a second clipped from the very start of the album, though I suppose it's not too much of a problem since the ending is just this same portion in reverse, which is far easier to fix than the tape glitches or pre-emphasis. I've already got what I consider the definitive CD version of Secret Messages based on my research into various editions, but thanks for the offer - maybe one day I'll set up a guide for collectors that includes samples of what they should be listening out for?

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

No problem, I'm a sucker for those Austrian fat-boys, ordered one a few days ago, more than likely the SM has pre on that also, as I do believe ANWR also does

18. Richard Browne

Richard Browne New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'm interested in understanding which is the best version of the following ELO box sets please?:
    - The Classic Albums Collection boxset
    - Flashback

I purchased Flashback but unfortunately My Mac Pro external SuperDrive wouldn't RIP it properly. Initially I thought this an issue with the drive so replaced it under warranty but still have the same issue so am going to return the CDs as faulty (Amazon UK). This being the case I'm now considering the Classic Albums collection if they are created from the same master as Flashback or a better mastering?

You guys seem very knowledgeable regarding the ELO releases so hoped if anyone could help you guys could.

19. I'm pretty sure that all versions of the Classic Albums Collection and Flashback are sourced from the same digital masters, so there aren't any variations in their actual content. However, one piece of advice I'll give concerning Flashback is that it's indexed in such a way that previously unheard fragments (mainly Jeff Lynne counting in songs, which I'm guessing were snippets found on the multitrack tapes) are attached to the previous songs, meaning that you'll have to correct these yourself when ripping the discs. From memory, I seem to recall the affected tracks being Last Train To London, Rockaria! and Hold On Tight, the latter including a short interlude dropped because of a keyboard overdub not quite being in time with the rest of the instruments.

20. Richard Browne

Thanks ShardEnder...
    So Classic Albums Collection is the way to go? Probably a better collection of tracks too considering it covers most of their back catalogue?

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You're clearly Mr ELO, so I wonder if you can help.:)

You no doubt know that some of the groups albums have been released (again) as Blu Spec 2 CDs (again) in Japan recently. This time they're in the famously gorgeous MLPS format.

What I wanted to know is if the 'Discovery' CD replicates the poster with the original LP. It's not a deal-breaker if it doesn't, but it would give me another (stupid) reason to but the album yet again.:)

I'd love to know for sure, so if you can help that would be great.

22. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Is there a Gastwirt remastered compilation?

23. c-eling

The only one I know that has his name is Ole'

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Is the mastering of the first two albums in the Sony Classic Albums Collection box that different from the individual Sony remasters of the same albums? IIRC, the ones in the box are sourced from the Euro EMI remasters, and the individual Sony releases are a slightly different mastering with some different bonus tracks.

25. Richard Browne

Soon, taking into account the above, is the Classic Albums Collection preferable to the Flashback set with regards more material and derived from the same or superior masters please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.