Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

Interesting feedback indeed! Out of curiosity, if your buddy already has a couple of LP12s what made him buy a PLX-1000?

2. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll consider the Black once I have the $$ saved. Right now on my plx-1000 I have a weird combo of the Ortofon Concorde Nightclub Mkii cart with an Arkiv stylus replacement. Sounds pretty damn good!

Turntable likes this.
  3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I've heard that the styli for OM series of cartridges fit the Concorder, so if you want very close to 2M Black sound on a budget, you could pick up a Shibata OM stylus such as the following:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-541-DSH-Copy-for-Ortofon-OM-Series-Cartridges_p_4162.html

At $129 US it's a good deal.

or this one at $199 US.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/ORTSOM40LPS.html

There's a video on Youtube where a guy compares the OM40 stylus with the 2M Black alternating them both on the 2M Black body (OM styli fit it), and they sound very close. In fact some folks prefer the sound of the OM stylus. Mind you, in that case, it's an FG70 stylus but the Shibata should be similar.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  4. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

The same thing that I bought a PLX-1000 when I already have 4 other more expensive turntables.

Curiosity of buying a good sounding table for a cheap price. My buddy also wanted to try a good dd without spending a bomb.

Most people, myself included would never have given the cheap DJ table a 2nd thought, however glad I did.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Elliptical ?

6. Licorice pizza

Hi Wax! Yesss, elliptical all the way. They call it "special elliptical" on the specs but my guess is that it's more like a micro line. Anyway, I tried that combo and the soundstage just kicked up several notches. Sounds very $$$$.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. Licorice pizza

Thanks for the info, Stefan. There's also a video on YouTube that compares my cart(with the original nightclub Mkii stylus) dueling with an AT440mla. Honestly, I couldn't tell which was which.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I say keep it !! Seems like a match made in heaven:shh:

9. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Clearly, Pioneer intends this product for DJs, which in itself is not a bad thing, but direct drive tables trade off a lot in terms of sonics for the startup torque DJs need.

10. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

PLX-1000 speed results using Dr Feickert platter speed app and test record. the filtered frequency is what you look at =/- 0.02.

Perhaps the measurement naysayers and comparisons to the SJL-1200 can now be put into the background and judge the table on how it sounds . :D

[​IMG]

11. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Please tell me what DD turntables have you had experience with?

What are the trade offs of DD tables in a well executed design?

The Technics SP-10 mk3, Pioneer Exclusive P3, Rockport sirius mk3, EMT 950 - current production Grand Prix Monaco DD , VPI Classic direct, and Wave Kinetics NVS turntables are all direct drive turntables and known to be in the best sounding turntables ever made category.

I am really looking forward to your insight on DD tables and the PLX-1000 in particular.

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

This is not any measurement of W&F. If You measure this way all TTs gets the same result, in principle, 0.02%. An indication of the real figures can be seen at 'raw frequency'.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  13. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Is this not what you asked for?

Not my measure. From a guy who just bought his. I have seen a lot worse and some better from this measure for other tables. Personally I use listening for my judgements.

here is the frequency chart he posted.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. missan

missan Forum Resident

No this is not what I asked for as this is not any real measurement of W&F. But as I said, an indication of the real figures can be seen at 'raw frequency'.
    They are -0.31/0.20 %. Unfortunately very bad.

15. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Oh

These are better than the majority of turntables when this app with test lp is used. the filtered results are supposed to counter for the off centre lp's and other such artifacts as the raw frequency is not very accurate.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...s-anyone-else-checked-their-turntable.344024/

Just shows, go with your ears.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  16. Darren L

Darren L Forum Resident

How did you get on with the overhang adjustment pizza....The Nightclub measurement is 52mm, in the PLX-1000 manual it quotes a figure of a minimum 54mm?

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I guess even the famous Michael Fremer is using this measurement app incorrectly as well?

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/zorin-audio-tp-s3-turntable-and-pus-12-tone-arm-numbers-page-2

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/avid-“ts-off”-low-priced-ingenium-turntable

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/music-halls-mmf-111-top-line-turntable

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...well-made-sensibly-engineered-elegant-looking

18. Licorice pizza

I haven't traded anything off. I have a plethora of cart choices(more than straight arm/belt drive), no speed issues, and near silent playback. And guess what? When I don't use it for audiophile listening, I can take it to a club and earn extra money.

Btw, sonics are beyond(like bed, bath &...)my expectations to the point of wanting to call in sick and spin records all day. ;)

19. Licorice pizza

No issues. The Concorde djs don't require adjustments like that. You insert it and viola, you're set.

20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Especially when you can use it forwards and backwards on your dj sets. :edthumbs: Try that with a normal hifi cartridge.:yikes:

21. Licorice pizza

Ears are very critical. ;)

On a recent thread I created, Fremer is told by Bernie Grundman something like "unless you do this every day (mastering), you audiophiles will never know" and "you audiophiles will never hear it on vinyl as great as we hear it here" at which point Fremer laughs and tries to change the subject. I totally agree with Bernie. What we "audiophiles" hear is basically a facsimile of what gods like Grundman and Bob Ludwig hear while they're working.

Turntable likes this.
  22. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Btw, The Pioneer has perfect speed at 3150hz which is exactly 33.333 rpm.

Better than all 4 of these 4 more expensive turntables. Not they we could seriously hear it :D

23. missan

missan Forum Resident

Doesn´t matter who is using the app and measuring W&F this way, it is just as wrong never mind whom. It is in principle rather worthless information and hard to interpret to any W&F figures.
    If You don´t know what W&F is why are You arguing, it is much better You look into the matter.

What I politely asked for was a test tone I could use for my own testing.

24. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I find it refreshing that there are audiophiles out there who haven't "pre-decided" that the DJ table must be junk before trying it. Or even worse, trying it, but convincing themselves it sounds terrible to justify their much more expensive purchases.

What I would be very interested in understanding is how turntable/surface noise compares using the PLX-1000/2M Black against something like an LP12. I understand this is where aspects like arm damping, or even the choice of turntable mat can have an influence. I have no doubt about the overall sound quality of this combination but having returned to vinyl after so many years, and spending some time listening through headphones, I am certainly aware of the background noise. It doesn't ruin my listening or even close to it because as soon as the music starts to play it is pushed into the very background...but I believe this is an aspect where turntable and arm can influence considerably. However the 2M Black is also known to be a cartridge that can bring out the worst in surface noise too.

25. Licorice pizza

Listening to Handel concertos on my Plx1000 right now. You can practically hear a pin drop in the house(early AM)and the TT is exhibiting no signs of surface noise, just music. I'm seriously trying to find all the flaws that the experts who've only looked at the specs claim make it a piece of junk but can't find any. It's one great sounding POJ. :)

bluemooze and jonstatt like this.