Another way of looking at Their Satanic Majesties Request

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

'Revalation' was recorded (Sept/Oct 1966) after 'Aftermath' was released (April 1966 in the UK). If anything it could have been the other way round.

O Don Piano likes this.
  2. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

If those are the worst albums you have ever heard then you are lucky.

3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yes, but Stones or at least Mick had seen Love perform 'Revelation' in concert before 'Aftermath' was out. It was their big stage number. Not that it matters...

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It still is what it is no matter how it was put together.
    Funny thing is, bad as it is, it is still a better album than Majesties is.

5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Luck has nothing to do with it. I have fairly broad interests in music but I am a bit choosy about what appeals to me, it has to at least be musical.
    I am sure that is a lot of music worse than those two out there, just not by artists that became that well known.

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

You still haven't explained how on earth Metamorphosis represents some kind of Beatlesesque progressive sound, but I guess I should know better than to expect rational explanations of your bizarre assertions.

7. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Side One is - apart from "Don't Lie To Me" - simply awful. Side Two has some good moments. There's some interesting outtakes from Between The Buttons, Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed on there that are well worth repeated listens.

Shawn likes this.
  8. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

That would be the reason. All of their '60's singles in the UK were stand alone releases.

9. SG1

SG1 Active Member

I love this album. I believe it was supposed to be HER Satanic Majesty Request. Her being the Queen.

Excellent idea- Dandelion and We Love You. But please not at the expense of On With the Show. Most don't like this track but I love it.

Bought this on virgin vinyl in 2000 and then bought an original but worn out copy for much more because it had the Original cover! You could see the Stones' heads turn and had to look hard to find Lennon and Harrison.

10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST is my favorite Rolling Stones album.

It has some outstanding songs:
    She's A Rainbow-simply beautiful
    In Another Land-Bill Wyman comes up with a psychedelic classic
    2000 Light Years From Home-love the spooky futuristic feel

These three are also pretty good:
    Citadel-great riff
    The Lantern-a unique sounding song
    Sing This All Together-a good opening track

Gomper is a failed experiment that is interesting for a bit, but gets quite tedious.

On With The Show is a disappointing ending

2000 Man is pretty average

It also has the truly horrible Sing This All Together (See What Happens)

Not a great album because it has too many weaknesses, but it is hardly the debacle many have made it out to be.

11. Looks like Mick liked my idea, he said the below while playing Stickey Fingers live in Los Angeles the other night:

"@RollingStones: #StickyStones How’s it going so far, alright? Blimey, next year we’ll come back and do the whole of Satanic Majesties"

If I could only believe him hahaha.

theMess, mrgroove01, dino77 and 3 others like this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Completely agree.

I've thought this album was right up there since I first heard it. Yes, I could lose the noodle-y Sing This All Together reprise and On With The Show (replacing those with suggestions made on this forum--We Love You, Dandelion and Child Of The Moon) but the rest of it is damn creative, eerie, evocative and a very entertaining listen whether in mono or stereo.

A lot of psych bands of the era would have loved to have been able to create what the 'Stones did on TSMR.

Another thing: TMSR 'works' as psych in the way it evokes a kind of feeling of mystery IMO, much like the first 3 tracks of A Saucerful of Secrets or Side 1 of The Chocolate Watchband's The Inner Mystique (yes, I know those were studio guys), the moody tracks from Electric Music For The Mind and Body...slagging The Rolling Stones for something that was actually successful, stylistically if not commercially, misses the point completely. Reviews be damned.

[​IMG]

13. mfp

mfp Senior Member

"Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" is one of the trippiest mothers of any 60s album.

Exile On My Street, Shawn and SG1 like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

l
    Do all of those covers have the lenticular 3D photo?

If so, how are they holding up after 48 years? My original lenticular image is getting a little blurry after all these years.

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Three of them do. Frankly I haven't looked at them closely for a very long time. Now you've got me interested so I'll have to take a look.

16. SG1

SG1 Active Member

At least 3. I can't confirm the upper right, but I'm guessing yes. Mick's hat tilts to our left in this one- if that means anything.

I love this cover!

Especially because I like every song!

17. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Could anyone of the opinion please explain just what is supposedly 'Beatle-ish' about this wonderful album? I love the Fabs as much as anyone but they didn't create the Universe... :wave:

18. SG1

SG1 Active Member

Well, more or less this was as close in style to the Beatles that the Stones would ever get. On the cover of Sgt Pepper it says "Welcome the Rolling Stones". The Stones put forth a psychedelic effort that they and many fans don't put a lot of stake in, but many of us do!

willy likes this.
  19. 905

905 Senior Member

Clearly, he wasn't a Stones expert then.

DrBeatle likes this.
  20. 905

905 Senior Member

I think a lot of hardcore Beatle fans mainly listen to the Beatles, so they don't realize just how many psychedelic albums were released in 1967.

21. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

One problem...
    COTM wasn't recorded till spring 1968.

tages and Exile On My Street like this.
  22. Pinstripedclips

Yes.

23. Pinstripedclips

It is Mick.

24. Pinstripedclips

Brian plays electric dulcimer and recorder.

25. And there are those of us who see no similarities in the album covers.

Dave Hoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.