Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #70)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Barbirolli conducts English String Music

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, ToddBD and 4 others like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just received this box with J.S. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Triple Concerto, Violin Concertos, Harpsichord Concertos and Organ Concerto and am now listening to discs 2 and 1 (in that order):

Ton Koopman Edition - 6 CDs, Erato

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

You bet. Welcome--to the CMC and to the genre! :wave:

Stone Turntable and Moth like this.
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Spent a bit of time this morning copying Artur and Karl Ulrich Schnabel in a Bach concerto for two keyboards. Adrian Boult did the honors on the podium. Quite lovely--and lively--in its piano-Bach sort of way, although I'll confess that I'm least eager to accept piano rather than harpsichord in the concerti--for whatever reason, piano always sounds just a bit wrong to me there, an exception to the general rule that Bach's music translates to anything and will still sound perfectly at home on the washtub bass. Be that as it may, if you're going to have a Bach concerto with piano, these two show how it should be done.

5. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

I love walking into my SA to find a nice stack of classical CDs or records. My recent purchases...

[​IMG]

Had to be selective too, there were too many to get at one time.

Mik, bluemooze, John S and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This is my introduction to Stankovych's music, and boy do I like it! Picture a humorless, more angst-ridden Shostakovich with a dash of Schnittke here and there--but still tuneful! Very power stuff that deserves to be better known. Superb playing and sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Grimaud playing Ravel...'nuff said! Great sound, too.

[​IMG]

rockerreds and bluemooze like this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following LP from my Mozart collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  9. coopmv

:righton:

10. coopmv

Now playing CD55 - Utopia Triumphans by the Huelgas Ensemble/Paul van Nevel from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…Angel LP 35548, Rossini "Six Overtures" (Barber of Seville, La Scala di Seta, William Tell, La Gazza Ladra, L'Italiana in Algeri, Cenerentola), Igor Markevitch, Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Francaise. It's one of only three dowel rod Angels I own, others being the Annie Fischer LP I posted the other day, and the Florent Schmitt Psalm 47, Angel 35020 (which has the words "Recording Angel" printed under the logo on the label). This Rossini record belonged to my dad, and though he had only a few records in his collection he took excellent care of them, so I get to enjoy the sound of this LP as if it was pressed just yesterday.
    [​IMG]

12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Absolutely stunning! I bet the music is pretty good, too. ;)

John S and Bachtoven like this.
  13. coopmv

:agree:

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Naxos is great for little known composers. A few other labels do it too, but Naxos tends to be less expensive. A couple I've purchased recently as half priced downloads on theclassicshop.net. Both are well worth full price if you like modern music.

Avner Dorman Conterto Grosso and Concertos for Mandolin and a Concerto Grosso .
    [​IMG]
    Rheinberger: Works for Violin and Organ
    [​IMG]

I've also bought a couple of the Antoni Wit Penderecki albums which are great.

That's my favorite disc in that box. It's great stuff.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  15. coopmv

Now playing CD1 - Emmanuel Chabrier (know nothing about this composer) from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Chabrier was French, obviously; today he's best remembered for a colorful little musical postcard called Espana Rapsodie. One of my earlier classical 78 RPM acquisitions was that bonbon played by the Boston Pops under Arthur Fiedler, split across the two sides of a 10" single. The "Marche Joyeuse" from The King in Spite of Himself also pops up on the radio from time to time, at least in this neck of the woods. He wrote a fair amount of piano music, but only a scherzo-valse seems to get many outings nowadays, at least in the US.

ToddBD likes this.
  17. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

Recently bought the rostropovich complete collection of shostakovich symphonies on Warner classics. I was reading a biog of shos. And apparently before he died he told rosto he wanted him to record all his symphonies. A very nice collection.

18. coopmv

Thanks for sharing drh. Actually, the music is quite pleasant sounding, as performed by Marcelle Meyer. The remastering is not shabby either with decent piano tone ...

19. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

yesterday i bought my first album from naxos's lossless site [​IMG] the site is a bit buggy but the album is very nice and well recorded.

20. coopmv

Just completed the first listen of the following CD ...

[​IMG]

Mik, AxC. and bluemooze like this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Another searingly intense performance by the PHQ. Fabulous sound. Oh how I wish they'd record a Bartok and a Shostakovich cycle--they would be frighteningly brutal--in the right places! (A Beethoven cycle would be nice, too.) :D

[​IMG]

AxC., jukes and bluemooze like this.
  22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Interesting, odd, note—Theodor Kuchar is the Music Director of the Fresno Philharmonic.

geralmar likes this.
  23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Sonatas for piano and violin Nos.24-27 – K296, K377, K378, K379, Andante & Allegreto K404
    — Lili Kraus, piano, Szymon Goldberg, violin (Erato/Warner Classics—Parlophone), CD 24 from:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD and George P like this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting that they reproduce the "society issue" label. There were two volumes of violin sonatas; a very similar label adorned "volume 1" of a Haydn Chamber Music Society issue of trios with Anthony Pini joining these artists on the cello. For years I kept looking for volume 2 of that series--until I finally figured out that there never was a "volume 2." I suppose WW II, with its awful consequences for L. Kraus, must have intervened. Of course, it may be that the first set just didn't sell well. Whatever--best laid plans, and all that.

American Decca eventually reissued the Mozart stas. on LP as set DX 103.

25. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

new goodies delivered this morning!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mik and Bachtoven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.