Worst set lists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Yea, I followed the setlist on opening night. I love Roll The Bones and Animate and am psyched to see them along with Clockwork Angels and Headlong Flight, but Subdivisions, AGAIN?!?!?!? It's literally been on every tour since it's inception except the Vapor Trails go.

And then you look at the set and you go "Far Cry"?! AGAIN?!

"One Little Victory"?! AGAIN?!?!?!

"Distant Early Warning"?!? AGAIN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't get me wrong, I ****ing LOVE all the songs, but for a special 41st anniversary tour, that first set is a real letdown, imo.

That being said, I purposefully wanted to find out what the setlist/s were going to be ahead of time so I would have time to accept and adjust my expectations. It's not being negative - you can't be let down for them not playing something if you know in advance it won't be played, you know?

In conclusion (whew), I've been listening to the shows recorded so far and I just freaking wish that "The Camera Eye", "Between The Wheels" and "How It Is" were in all the sets.

Come on, it's just NOT fair that only one set gets a live premiere ALONG with "The Camera Eye"!!!!!

Grrrr first time that Rush has angered me!!!!

:)

2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

His setlist's were pretty good up until 2010 or so, imo.

I like that he's been adding more Wings stuff now and then as well since then but just some of the song choices annoy me - All Together Now? Seriously?!

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I saw Lloyd Cole touring behind his first solo lp, he hardly did anything from it and Grant McClennan and Rbt Forter blew him off the stage

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

No, it's Cortez that's the one that puts me to sleep

Tingman and warewolf95 like this.
  5. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Wow "Cortez.." really?? I think you would be in the minority there. Oh well to each his own.

ARK and Frittenköter like this.
  6. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

any Fleetwood Mac set list of the last 30 years. all of those Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch songs ignored.

warewolf95 and klaatuhf like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, I'm sure I am. Don't get me started on my one-man crusade against Tunnel of Love, either:shrug:

8. SG1

SG1 Active Member

Heart of Gold- beautiful song.

Well, I guess Paul was only a legend for 38 years...

Frittenköter likes this.
  9. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Genesis - 1992. Had always wanted to see them, but their setlist was rooted primarily in their last 3 "pop" albums (Genesis, Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance). They did one "old" medley, playing parts of their proggier, Gabriel-era classics, but other than that and "Turn it On Again" as closer, they stuck to their pop hits. (And nothing else from Duke and zero from Abacab).

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/genesis/1992/giants-stadium-east-rutherford-nj-5bdb47a4.html

10. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Scholz is nuts!

Sean and warewolf95 like this.
  11. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Duran Duran in 1993.

The music was good but the concert was rather short and, more importantly, they chose to rearrange some of the old stuff to "make room" for the contributions of a small string section and the result was too many "slowed down" versions of classics that did not allow the concert to take off.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I see "Domino", "Fading Lights" and "Home By the Sea" on that setlist...You may not like the later epics but they sure weren't pop hits.

DiabloG and ARK like this.
  13. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

True enough. And I do appreciate those songs, as well (although i'd have preferred, "Mama" or "Behind the Lines"). But I found myself greatly missing a huge part of their catalog. This particular setlist fell flat for me. I'm sorry I didn't go see their last tour, which was more balanced, IMHO. (Although Phil had to transpose a lot of keys).

bRETT likes this.
  14. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

I saw Sonic Youth at Maxwells in Hoboken in June '88 right after Sonic Death was released by SST, and thats pretty much what they played despite Sister and Evol being their recent releases and the recording of Daydream Nation being well underway. What a disappointing show

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A brave move with mixed audience reaction - Iron Maiden playing their entire A Matter of Life and Death album before finishing off with a few standards.

16. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I know a lot of unhappy people who went to that show, but to be fair, the previous tour and the following tour were classic Maiden all the way. Maiden were up front about what they were doing.

Deuce66 likes this.
  17. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Depending on the band, that could be the best thing. Especially if the new album hasn't come out yet.
    I'm seeing Steven Wilson tonight and I've intentionally avoided getting too familiar with the new album in advance because his set is based heavily on it.

18. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I saw Iggy Pop on his "The Breaking Point" tour, must've been late '82 or so.
    He opened with the dirge-like "Mass Production" , and then did a bunch of material from the then-current "Zombie Birdhouse" which was pretty much a dud of an album. The show picked up towards the end, but it was still a bit of a let down.

19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

So far as later day band albums go, at least Matter of Life and Death is a pretty damn solid one! Still going to burn out your audience hard by playing the whole damn thing for an hour plus out of your 100 min set.

20. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Even Rush fell short doing all of Clockwork Angels in the middle of their show a couple of years ago. It was interesting enough, but the show kinda stops dead while they indulge themselves. I mean, if anyone's earned the right to do it, it's Rush. But having seen the show, in spite of their best efforts, it was one of the least satisfying Rush concerts I've attended.

Then again, if they had done the same thing in 1981 and Moving Pictures was the brand new album they were playing, I wonder how many people would have been pissed at the time that they played their whole damn new album?

21. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Virtually any Stones or Rod Stewart show in the past 25 years.

Predictable set lists ignoring so many classic songs.

Contrast to Dylan where over half the setlist, and often far more, is from the past 18 years.

22. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

I wish Eric Carr were still with us, I'd pay money to see the fox in action again. People can give it all the crap they want, but their non-makeup years were not nearly as bad as they were made out to be, especially not on tour (and the exception of Crazy Nights). I think it would be hilarious if Kiss did some Black 'N Blue and Badlands songs with Tommy and Eric Singer. Domino is a total ripoff of the Black 'N Blue tune, Nasty Nasty. Though Simmons did produce the album and that song also features a much better use of the riff in "Only You" from the Elder. I think it would be funny to see some B&B tunes. I'd be much happier than seeing Kiss Alive! on repeat.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

Between the Wheels? I love you, man.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I doubt it. I saw him in 1983 do an 80 minute greatest hits set, then ended with some new stuff and the crowd went nuts booing him and throwing stuff at the stage.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Grateful dead post 1975

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.