How hard is it to swap a 2m red stylus to 2m blue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Opeth, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident Thread Starter

My replacement should arrive Wednesday !

Sean Sandoval likes this.
  2. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Ortofon should have this thread on their advertising! Have owned a 2m Red on my Project Carbon for a week and haven't felt happy with it - so have ordered the blue which arrives tomorrow (I love Amazon Prime)...

I had a Project Debut USB with AT440mla and my 2m Red doesn't sound anywhere near the AT - hoping the 2m Blue will be better!

3. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

My blue has a little over 50 hours on it & it sounds better with each play now.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I hope it works out for you but most people that just don't like the Red generally don't like the Blue. They have a very similar sonic profile. It is when people like the Red that the Blue blows their mind. It kind of like getting more of a good thing rather than something completely different.

If you don't have the Acrylic platter I would recommend that upgrade. The Iron platter is very resonate and the increased sensitivity of the Blue might pick up more of that noise.

Rolltide and raphph like this.
  5. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident Thread Starter

I liked the red and the blue is just more of the same but better. I think my table and arm is holding back the blue honestly.

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I have an issue with my debut carbon that in between tracks I hear what I think sounds like platter friction, but only in the left channel. I haven't decided how I can fix this problem. Is it likely to be an alignment issue, or is it in the stylus and an upgrade to the blue solve the issue?

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If it is only in one channel i would check the cables and connetions first. Switch the cables and see if the noise switches speakers.

If it is the factory installed cart and you haven't fooled around with the very delicate connections to the cart, it shouldn't be an alignment problem.

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Nah, it isn't that kind of problem. And even if it was I completely swapped out all of the interconnects for an entirely different reason and the faint friction sound is still there. It's only a slight annoyance that I think I've only noticed since upgrading to an acrylic platter and is only there when the stylus is touching the record and as I said only audible between tracks.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

when mine started making sounds I didn't like, it was time easy off the gas a bit and lower the volume. I found that when I cranked it up it exposed the limitations of the table. Ultimately that is why I went to a VPI classic and use the Project in my office. I still listen to it regularly and think it is a great table.

10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Curious as to what you are hearing change at every play. I'm at 40 hours on a bronze so I'm just wondering....

11. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

The biggest thing I'm noticing with upgrade from Red to Blue is more crackles. I guess the Blue is more sensitive, so I need to ensure my records are clean before playing. They've all been Spin Cleaned months ago. I hope I don't need to clean them before every play.

12. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

More dynamic,I'm noticing great soundstage with it & it just has been giving me a wow factor & has me spinning just vinyl since I got the cart. My cd player hasn't been on since.

tim185 likes this.
  13. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

OK so here's my update..

I noticed the immediate Night and Day improvement from the Blue the minute I installed it. I can hear treble again now and the surface noise has reduced dramatically.

I also purchased an Acryllic Platter for my Carbon with a Mitchell Clamp...I use an Art DJ USB Preamp....The needledrops I'm producing sound utterly fantastic...

Thanks for all the advice here!

paulewalnutz, Isaac K. and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Just mounted my second Bronze on my Rega. Love this cartridge!

15. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

You may all think I'm crazy but I have a 2M Black and prefer the Blue stylus on the Black body rather than the Black stylus itself

Musically there is little to choose, surprising given the price difference but the Blue stylus tracks better and surface noise is lower too. When comparing both stylii, I use the appropriate VTF: in my case 1.56gms Black ( slightly higher than recommended), 1.68gms Blue (slightly lower). I have aligned with a Mint Best protractor and each cantilever/stylus required a tiny adjustment so both were optimised properly

Is it possible that the higher spec Bronze/Black body has a bigger impact than the stylus itself? I have no means to listen to a standard 2M Blue

16. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Is the "fine line" like the AT440mla, or is that the "micro ridge"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.