NAS advice needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guillaume Bougard, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

And big (relatively). I'm looking for something less than 25% of that form factor.

2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Ham, how are you liking your WD My Cloud? If you've been successful, I might just follow your lead.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It has been working well. I've had it in and out of the system as I figure out how best to deal with it. I've been trying various things. Still experimenting with how I'll organize files on it and experimenting with how I'll back it up. I need to be comfortable with how I'll be managing it before I commit to it. I also need to experiment with what it will be like to do a full restore from backup before committing to it as something that will hold all of my real data. So I'm taking my time.

File management and transfers do need a gigabit wired connection to get speed that I consider good. 5 GHz wireless is only like slow USB 2 speed. Lesser wi-fi is even slower. So make sure you can do wired gigabit for any serious file transfers (like copying files to the NAS and for backups and such).

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  4. VictoryHighway

VictoryHighway Use of goto is deprecated.

I set up a FreeNAS box last year. It's not as easy to set up and administer than the NAS units aimed at consumer markets, but none of the consumer grade NAS devices that I know of support ZFS. If you value data integrity, ZFS is the way to go.

gloomrider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.