Faith No More "Sol Invictus" - Impressions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clonesteak, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was able to download this album earlier today from Amazon and had a listen. The vinyl comes out next month. I can't wait.
    So... what are your first impressions of this album?
    How does it compare to other Foy No Mop albums?

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I listened to the full album stream once on NPR. After feeling initial uncertainty with the release of "MF" (which has grown on me and now repeats in my head all day long in a most unhealthy manner) and being slightly reassured with the release of "Superhero", I'm now relatively sure that this album is a winner and I can't wait to go pick it up tomorrow. Granted, I only listened once, but I felt really good about just about everything I heard. As far as reunion albums go I don't think this one has anything to be ashamed of.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Very disappointing... bad mix and boring songs. Compared to Real Thing and Angel Dust= 2/10

4. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I listened once to a stream. I think it is a little too compressed as I couldn't turn it up very loud. Everything is a little too mashed together...

The songs seem decent, but the production just wasn't very open like the pre hiatus records.

Hopefully the vinyl is better as the DR looks to be so.

Clonesteak likes this.
  5. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident Thread Starter

The vinyl should be nice to make a needle drop as my go to version away from home and the MP3 should tide me over until I recieve my vinyl copy.
    Overall I like the songs. Not their best but great music.
    New Faith No More music!!! I never thought I would be saying that in the year 2015.

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I like it quite a bit.

7. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Just downloaded my portable use. Very happy for keeping the faith with this band. Great work.

8. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This one's a grower...keep at it. Very haunting with mature, clever arrangements. Great headphone album...lots of layered ear candy.

Revolver and Rodz42 like this.
  9. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

great album in the style of Angel Dust 8/10

Lord Summerisle and MarkO like this.
  10. CC Fixx

CC Fixx Well-Known Member

Agreed. Overall, I think that the album as a whole is a slow burner, but once you catch up to the music you're in for a nice treat. Personally, I find myself gravitating more to the "lighter" fare on the album, i.e. Sunny Side Up and Black Friday.

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Sounds like Faith No More to me. Roddy, Billy, Puffy, Mike, and Jon. More mature. No less crazy.

12. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

I can't stop playing it. Sunny Side Up is on repeat in my head even when I'm not listening to the album.

13. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I was ambivalent on first listen. Also the cd sounded too harsh. Perhaps I'll try the vinyl

14. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Bought the vinyl yesterday, put on the turntable this morning and when it finished put it back on and listened to it again.

Quite blown away how good this is, they sound fresh and exciting, I must admit I tuned out after King For Day ( a pale ghost of an album after Angel Dust) but this is while recalling their 90's masterpiece also doesn't sound like band coasting on past glories and the vinyl sounds fine too.

Yes this black circle should be spinning plenty in 2015.

15. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Cool so the UK pressing is now available? I saw the US lp was delayed, maybe i can jump on amazon uk and get. Any deadwax info appreciated....

16. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Excellent album. Not Angel Dust level but enjoyable nonetheless.

17. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

First listen, I was like "meh," but now I've listened to it about 7 times and really like it. Unlike everyone else, though, I can't stand "Sunny Side Up." It's definitely my least favorite song on the album.

18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

You're right it is a grower, needs a few spins.

19. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Listened to the CD several times over the weekend. It's a slow grower and rewards more with every listen. Matador is a really stunner, majestic sounding. Sunny Side Up- great hook, Superhero would be the "Epic" style song for the album, rocks hard and is chaotic but beautiful. Sol Invictus- nice haunting intro that leaves the listener wanting more, Separation Anxiety sounds just like a song titled that should sound. I saw them on May 15th in Philly, sold out crowd, nothing better than hanging with my wife and friends, throwing down some "lagers" and seeing one of my all time favorite bands live...

Clonesteak likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

After a week with it I'm ready to declare that I love this record from start to finish. Absolutely fantastic. What a great gift to us loyal fans who though it was all over. This album sounds fresh and new and moving forward, not just some throwback to what they've done before. A great batch of songs and unmistakably Faith No More. Thank God they came back.

21. Daniel Plainview

Matador is a monster of a track.

From the Dead has a melody thats sticks with me all day.

That one track has a Kings Lead Hat Eno thing happening.

One track sounds dangerously close to something Mr Bungle would do.

Sunnyside Up was initially my least favorite track,but Ive warmed to it. Lyrics read like a commercial for IHOP.

MF might be my new pulling into the parking lot at work Monday morning song.

Like the whole record. Playing it nonstop. MF might be my new pulling into the parking lot at work song.

Dorian75 likes this.
  22. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

im about 6 listens in, and i think its really good.

definitely sounds like FNM, and it has some really strong tracks on it. really enjoying it now.

23. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

I love the album. The only mark against is that Jon Hudson often sounds like a rhythm guitarist in a lead guitarist's role.

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  24. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Give Album Of The Year another shot. I think it's incredible. King For A Day is uneven, but AOTY is much more solid. It's not Angel Dust or The Real Thing, but it's up there with them. Sol Invictus is up there too.

25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

The new album sold 31000 copies during its first week, which put it in the Billboard top 20. Pretty excellent payday for a self-produced and (essentially) self-released album. It also hit the top 10 in Australia, Germany and the UK. Good for them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.