Buffalo NY area record stores?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Csericks, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Csericks

Csericks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone know of a good record store in the Buffalo area?

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Drive to Rochester and go to the Bop Shop. Look it up on the web.

Blank Slate likes this.
  3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

4. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

5. seakon

seakon Member

Record Theatre (either location though the one closer to downtown is better) is my go to place. Fye is the second best. I only buy CD's though

Csericks likes this.
  6. Csericks

Csericks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks! I think that I'll be heading to Record Theatre

Bob M. likes this.
  7. dance_hall_keeper

The Main and Lafayette location isn't far from the legendary Anchor Bar.

Bob M. likes this.
  8. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

I'm there every Saturday. maybe I'll see you there ;-) If you're looking for old vinyl the used records are in the "back room"

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You should look up The Bop Shop in Rochester. A one hour drive to one of the best record collector shops in the country is very worthwhile. I believe they have a website to consider it. I drive 500 miles (round trip) just to go there

Bob M. likes this.
  10. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Not to hijack the thread a bit, but on June 20, 2105 there is going to be a record convention in Buffalo (Bop Shop will have three tables there too).. Facebook page at URL has more details:

https://www.facebook.com/events/369310426612697/

Csericks likes this.
  11. dance_hall_keeper

It took a modicum of digging around but I found a "stamps book" from the Record Theatre in the 90s (I think) from Record Theatre; "You get one stamp with each dollar you spend", so says the front, "Save $5.00 on your next purchase when you fill this book", needing one hundred and twenty-five to do so. At that time, they had locations in six cities: Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Baltimore.
    When I went last summer, I verified with one of the staff that after they first opened in 1976 they closed for a period in the 90s, then re-opened. The floor space isn't as big as when it first opened. Was it a grocery store or a car dealership originally?

Bob M. likes this.
  12. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

It might be legendary but the food quality has taken a hit over the past ten years. Better off getting wings as Duff's!

Bob M. and ARK like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sometimes seeing the remains of once great used record shops gets very depressing (those that may still survive but as a shadow of their former greatness). Those that thrive and still have immense inventory in stock are fewer and fewer, but are so inspiring to stand in.

Bob M. likes this.
  14. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Not sure, but it was once the home of Amherst Records, I think.

Bob M. likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What about the old Record Runner in the early 1970's

Bob M. likes this.
  16. hammer99

hammer99 Forum Resident

My fav was Play It Again Sam's on Elmwood.

Bob M. likes this.
  17. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I think R R is responsible for my music collector self. RR had a great selection if Dylan bootlegs right out in the open at $5 each. Still have a couple. The owner was kind of nerdy looking but had a very good looking blonde wife and they shared checkout duties. I was checking it out obviously.

Bob M. likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Record Runner started in Ithaca NY - then he opened the Buffalo store. A good friend of mine was the manager, but not the owner, who was way more than nerdy.... They were among the very first stores to openly sell bootlegs in 1969. First runs of many of the early titles, about $3 for a single, $5 for a double.

Bob M. likes this.
  19. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

I once told the worker there that I probably still have one of those stamp books filled & he told me they still take them!! Now they stamp a card & you get $10 off when filled.

20. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Yes!! great place! I still have a few of the plastic bags they put the LP's in when you bought them. Just a few hundred feet from where the University Record Theater store is now... Best part about the old Record Runner store was those, let's just call them, "import" Beatles & Dylan albums they had :D

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  21. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Practically lived there in the mid 70's!! Bought lots of great used LP's there & 100's of Dylan bootleg records. Bill Poczik was one of the best guys you'd ever want to meet too. If you don't remember who he was, he was the guy with the long hair behind the counter who knew everything about music! Many long hours hanging out talking about music. Bill passed away in 1996 but I'm sure would get a huge kick out of this new vinyl resurgence & what common place items are now collectable. Oh just to think of all those copies of Neil Young's 'Time fades Away' LP's you couldn't give away back then.What great times those were!

hammer99 likes this.
  22. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

There were a bunch of Record Theaters in the Buffalo area when I lived there in the 1990's that closed down--I thought the chain went under--There was one across the street from the UB Main Street Campus, one on Main Street near Canisius, one on Main Street in Amherst and one one briefly on the UB Amherst campus. They had a pretty good selections with deep catalogues and excellent used sections. Home Of the Hits on Elmwood was a great store, but that closed as well. It's good to see Record Theater is back. How does it compare to the way it was in the 90's?

Bob M. likes this.
  23. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

The two locations on main st (UB & Cansisus) are both back open. The one on Main st in Amherst is long gone. It has the usual stuff that most record stores have now. It's funny that the two stores do seem to have different selections. Still too much room wasted on CD's but that's just me ;-) Big change is the main & Lafayette site has opened up the back room. A massive spot for all their used LP's! Great for digging. Some great little shops have opened in the surrounding area of Buffalo too. Nice to see!!

pig bodine likes this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If Albany isn't too far out of the way for you, go to Last Vestige.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Last Vestige is worth a trip. When great record stores are so rare, you gotta drive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.