John Cale Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gazatthebop, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenalejandro

stevenalejandro Forum Resident

Sounds fine to me. I'll try to get some a needle drop video posted later tonight.

2. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I just listened to the re-issue of Fear, it was interesting. It's definitely different from my UK copies, of which I have 4. 3 of the UKs have different labels with the same dead wax info with "Nick W." written; they pretty much sound the same. My other UK is a "Porky" pressing with an Island Palm Tree label. I haven't listened to that one yet as I picked it up recently.

So the WC pressing has very prominent bass, its deep and well defined but maybe mixed a little too much. It really changes a song like "Barracuda". The top end is pretty open and extended, definitely NOT dull. The guitars are really well defined, but I think the vocals are a little lost in the mix. Overall, I really liked it and I'm not a fan of re-issues in general. I want to listen to the Porky before I decide which I like better. They did a nice job on this re-issue and the price is very reasonable.

I'm going to buy the other two Cale LPs. I was never that happy with my UK of Helen.

cc-- likes this.
  3. John Moschella

The one you want is the German with "STRAWBERRY" stamped in the dead wax. I think it kills the UK. The UK sounds so closed down by comparison.

funknik likes this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yes, I could see the original Helen Of Troy lp being improved upon.

I have the Porky cut Fear and would say it's a little trebly for my tastes. I was not aware of a different UK mastering, so thanks for that bit of information. Curious to hear how you think the Porky compares to the others.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

So.... the original is a Pink Rim, right? And has "Nick W". The Palm Tree was used from 1975/6 until they changed to the Night/Day label. The question is now why they released a different mastering one year after "Fear" came out but returned to the original "Nick W" cut for the late 70's, early 80's reissues.

Because I've seen "Nick W" on Pink Rim, Day/Night and the Skyscraper/ Palm Tree (no idea what the official name for that early 80's label is ;)) but I actually never came across a Palm Tree copy or a Porky mastering.

cc-- likes this.
  6. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I ordered them too, will post when I receive them.

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Alright, this thread is becoming very informative in regards to originals and reissues.

cc-- likes this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Yep totally agree. Nookie Wood is good too, tho not as good as Hobo or Acetate. I would classify Cale's solo work less as 'scattershot and erratic' and more 'eclectic and experimental'. I find his post-Velvets work much MUCH more consistent/interesting/entertaining than Lou's. They both have their duds, but I find a lot of Lou's stuff to be very lazy and self-indulgent. I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel exactly the opposite though. It tends to be like that with these guys...

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  9. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  10. gazatthebop

11. gazatthebop

There is a UK pressing with STRAWBERRY stamped in the dead wax too

12. gazatthebop

There is a rarely mentioned pressing of "Paris 1919" made in Germany in the autumn of 1977. Catalogue number is REP 59 027. The mastering engineers initials are scratched into the run off groove "P.F". The album has a gatefold textured sleeve. Only around 400 were pressed.

13. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

how does it sound?

14. John Moschella

I'm a big fan of most of Cale's stuff right up to Nookie Wood. However, I firmly believe that Music For A New Society is his crowning achievement both lyrically and musically. It's not as pop oriented as say Fear, but its inventive, stark and touching. The UK LP is also wonderful.

Joti Cover likes this.
  15. John Moschella

I'm going to take some pictures of the labels I have. One of the Nick W. pressings I really can't describe. Try to get this done tomorrow.

16. Neonbeam

"PF" stands for Tonstudio Pfanz in Hamburg.

The gatefold you mention is from the Art & Music Collection - the only other title I've seen is "Hot Rats". I've never liked the way they rearranged the artwork for that series.

17. Neonbeam

That would be from the late 70's. My UK copy has "Allen" in the deadwax. No idea who that is...

18. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

just buy them all if you can.you will not regret it for one single second.i have them for all on vinyl for decades and cherish them!

mikemoon likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Strange, then the Pink Rim I saw with Nick W. must have been a transitional pressing where they already had the new mastering but still some old labels left. But the fact that you have a Palm Tree Porky is strange. It would indicate that Nick W and Peckham masterings have been issued simultaneously.....

20. gazatthebop

I didn't say I have a palm tree porky did I?

21. gazatthebop

[​IMG]

top right is the original UK mastered by Ray Staff. Top middle is the later UK Strawberry which has W5KD/W10K etched. Top left is the German Strawberry. Bottom right is the USA test pressing. Bottom middle the USA promo copy. Bottom right the limited edition 1977 German copy which has a gatefold sleeve. I did a listening test with these on this site about a year ago.

Raysdeathmachine likes this.
  22. gazatthebop

[QUOTE=" The gatefold you mention is from the Art & Music Collection - the only other title I've seen is "Hot Rats". I've never liked the way they rearranged the artwork for that series.[/QUOTE]

the music &art series was 8 albums, the list of them is here

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

But I do have a palm tree Porky (well, I better dig out the record to confirm, but I believe I do. I'll confirm later.)

24. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/john-cale-paris-1919-original-vinyl-issue.273425/#post-9765524
    btw, I think right and left are switched in your caption above.

25. gazatthebop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.