worst 45 single edits?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Pumphrey, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Grant your quick!

Still prefer the lp version. :)

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

BTW, for those of you who have seriously never heard the actual 45, here it is in all of its sonic glory:

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Grateful Dead- Uncle Johns Band - studio-45rpm

4. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Editing "story" songs, should be against the law...especially that. It's one to cut a solo short, but ..this?

Rocker likes this.
  5. Jamey K

Yes, horrible, all of those. Beginnings is just hideous.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Buckingham-Nicks "Crying in the Night" not an "edit" but a single mix that adds a lot of weird guitar licks that are really unnecessary and distracting.

7. ERIC Records put out one of their re-issue 45's with the complete version all on one side.

8. There was a radio station only 45 edit, still long but went together very well and you didn't get bored like listening to the full unedited LP version or feel shorted hearing only the first side . My only complaint was that it was mono, but overall it was my favorite version.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
  9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

That's the only version I've ever heard, had no idea there was even another version.

10. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Real Chicago fan there!

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  11. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Okay, if these have been mentioned before, the joke's on me (didn't feel like going through all ten pages), but here's mine:
    "House Of The Rising Sun," Animals (the version on the single is so clumsy, it's a wonder it became a hit)
    "Sidewinder," Lee Morgan (one of the best bass solos ever and they edited it out!)
    "Stay A While With Me," Sharon Ridley (forgotten soul hit from 1971 - the album version just flows better)
    "Stealin'," Uriah Heep
    "Oh Happy Day," Edwin Hawkins Singers (fades down before the big climax at the end)

12. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I'm playing The Blackbyrds's big hit "Walkin' in Rhythm"., Right now there's a LP/CD-only part, heard earlier:
    "It's been so long since I've kissed her../
    And held her close in my arms/
    I've wandered so very far/
    I've got to get back home..

This is after, in two instances, the 45/LP(CD?) lines:
    "It's been so long since I've seen her../
    I'm so tired and alone../
    I've gone so very far/
    I've got to get back home"

This is followed by the
    "It's been so long since I've kissed her" part,

then the reed solo and then both are done again..
    there's a final chorus before the bridge mentioned
    edited and faded.

Two sets of lyrics for each chorus (ending different one way with "Hummin' to the music" then the
    other with "thinkin' 'bout my baby" otherwise identical) like with "Black & White" by Three Dog Night
    and BOTH songs have a chorus deleted!

So.."Walkin' in Rhythm" by the Blackbyrds deleted:
    1) the final chorus before the first bridge kicked in
    in each of the two bridges on either side of the flute solo 2) and 3) the second eight lines each
    at the ending 4) most of the ending by fading it!

Still pretty good..This came out in February of 1975. Almost a year later, in November, Electric Light Orchestra made a comeback with "Evil Woman"...
    I like the single edit but....as mentioned by others
    The opening "You made a Fool of me but that broken dream's gotta end" part,
    then two several five second parts of the intro are removed.

"There's a hole where the rain comes in/You took my body & played to win"
    in the first verse, most of the instrumental part before the eerie final violin,
    then right after that "I came a-runnin' every time you cried" in the final verse
    gone!

Then it's faded early and sped up (dead horse, on this forum alone, I know.).

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man, Throw a Penny...that is one weird song...what a odd choice for a single. I like it within the context of the album, but no way that would have been a hit no matter how it was edited. And yup, editing out the middle slow section, which is pretty bad anyway, wouldn't leave much of a song! That is one of those songs that sounds like two or three songs thrown together...I love part of it and hate part of it. Just a very strange song. But, they used the same kind of structure with Nights On Broadway, which I love, and hit it big!

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

An example of a song, imo, that benefitted greatly by being edited down. Eric Carmen's All By Myself is also much better edited down.

15. Matze S.

Matze S. Forum Resident

Two by The Who:

Love Reign O'er Me
    and
    Who Are You

were poorly edited for their 7"-releases in the US.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Stevie would not allow the song to be edited, so that would explain why the radio stations did their own.

17. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Oh, easy!

The excerpts of Close to the Edge and Soon from Relayer, released as singles?

What were they thinking?!

18. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Or, inverse to the premise of this thread, after being used to the Top 40 singles versions of Blood Sweat & Tears' Spinning Wheel and You Make Me So Very Happy, the instrumental breaks on the album versions always seemed pointless and distracting.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Re: City to City. The UK and European United Artists LP discs have a very long side 1, it is cut very close to the label. I think UA in America sped this up to get Side 1 shortened enough to get wide enough trail out for many automatic turntables to play this LP. I think if the UK pitch had been followed, the return rate would have been very high. in 1978, a bunch of older automatic changers were still in usage in America. Many of them would have not played the end of "Stealin' Time" without issues. The inner trail off on the UK and European UA side 1 is very, very close to the label.

20. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I feel the same way about Billy Stewart's "Summertime." I was so used to the 45 that the long version just seemed extraneous.

21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

True, and the mono 45 mix of course blows the roof off of any stereo mix to be found.

Grant likes this.
  22. Very true. In these 2 recordings, the bridge was actually "edited in" to lengthen the LP version. Same goes for Tommy James & The Shondells "Crimson and Clover" and "Crystal Blue Persuasion". Stories like these could go on and on.

tvstrategies likes this.
  23. Won't Get Fooled Again. Bad, bad edit IMHO.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  24. Many of the edits were specifically made for radio stations because they, as industry guidelines dictated, often refused to play anything much over 2:30. Progressive FM radio change all that. The long LP cuts were often used for bathroom breaks.

25. Jamey K

I know. I was there. In fact, I'm still there.

AutomatedElectronics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.