Is 'Let it Be' DVD finally coming?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeYoung, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I just hope that when they finally do it, they do it RIGHT. It would be great if they allow some solid Beatles Historians (Matt Hurwitz, Allan Kozinn, etc) to give input on the final product.

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Hi Ray. Why not sell it through iBooks?

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, that is true too. It is just that the decision to do the rooftop gig on January 30 and then the basement performance of Let It Be, Two of Us and Long and Winding Road on January 31 were basically last-minute decisions when they all realized that they needed to do something to get all the songs on film and get some proper studio takes of songs that didn't yet have them. It was 2-day salvage job---and to me, they needed more than 2 days. Even 4-5 days would have been better since the band could have fleshed out the album more, maybe doing say a January 1969 version of Across The Universe (instead of sneaking in the 1968 version) and I Me Mine. The band really was adamant about not letting the sessions go into February of 1969. Yes, Ringo had to go off to film the Magic Christian movie, but they did a few random sessions in mid to late February as a band---but they don't seemed to have tried to do anything for inclusion on the Let It Be project. They really moved on once January came to an end.

DmitriKaramazov, ronbow and Zongadude like this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Though there IS the Apple 'mystery session' (probably February) that WAS photographed and shown in the Get Back book.

Also, the 22nd February session for 'I Want You' appears to have been recorded completely live in the studio (at least to begin with), as per the Get Back project. A composite of the takes was edited together the next day (but still no overdubs, which only started being applied in April).

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think it was a very good idea not trying to bring camera back in the studio after January with the tension their presence introduced. It is more important to me that they stuck it out together long enough to make Abbey Road than that they shot more footage for the film

bewareofchairs, BeatlesBop and JimC like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Regarding RayS comments linked above about the film surviving from Twickenham large being short snippets, it really is possible with a bit of work and continuous audio (which they do have) and use of cutaway shots to make a fairly convincing film of any of the segments for which several such snippets survive.

This is regularly done in documentaries and was done in much of the original film. Note all the footage that does not exactly synch to the soundtrack.

bewareofchairs and theMess like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Oh, yes, I do recall all the talk we had here about the mysterious February session (or sessions) in 1969. But until Mark Lewisohn or someone else really describes what it was intended for (Get Back/Let It be; random meeting that somehow evolved into a musical session; start of next project aka Abbey Road), then I can't speculate. Regardless, Paul had shaven his beard, so it would not have been used for the film (if it was filmed). Lots of mystery for sure.

theMess and slane like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Also: I forgot to mention earlier that "For You Blue" features a new lead vocal done by George in January 1970 (it was done a few days after the session for "I Me Mine"). So along with the song "Let It Be", which had some overdubs added, "For You Blue" also broke the supposed "no-overdubs rule".

Of course, this is all pre-Phil Spector. His overdubs/edits are a different story.

theMess likes this.
  9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

-- and with Billy Preston, to ease the tensions.

But once again, the Beatles were drifting apart... that's just the way it was. Regardless of where they were performing, they were breaking up.

10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It is terrible, I agree. But that's part of the point -- they're getting bored more than they were. Not every session can be a thrilling success.

Well, that's just it.. sometimes they could enjoy themselves again, but generally there was a problem. I think it's altering history to try and make everything "happy", "upbeat", and "having fun". No matter how much we the fans might prefer things that way.

I actually read your whole list and liked most of your suggestions. It's just that I think it's trying to change what truly was happening within the heart of The Beatles' Circle.

11. slane

slane Forum Resident

Just to add...in an interview with John later in the year (I think it was the same one I mentioned earlier, where he mentions him and Paul planning the medley), John seems to be under the impression that they are still working on songs for 'Get Back'.

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

No, Paul seems bossy because that's the reality of what was transpiring in the studio at that time (LET IT BE film or no LET IT BE film). The other Beatles have commented on that, and it's not just because they went to the theater to watch LET IT BE that they drew such a conclusion.
    John: "After Brian died, we collapsed. Paul took over and supposedly lead us... but what is leading us when we're going 'round in circles?"

Again, I'm thinking it was a positive thing for Paul to step up and take control and try to save things; but let's not pretend that this was not the case, and it was only LIB which concocted some kind of "myth".

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Brother Maynard and Zeki like this.
  13. slane

slane Forum Resident

The strange thing about the FYB vocal overdub is that it was done 3 days AFTER Glyn's 'final' compilation, which means it must have been mixed and inserted into the album master after it was done (as the new vocal is evident on the bootleg).

George's two songs were the only LP songs with lead vocal overdubs (I think even 'Across The Universe' featured a live vocal, albeit from Feb.68). I get the feeling that George was the least enamoured with recording his lead vocals live.

Of course, 'Don't Let Me Down' broke the 'rules' much earlier, the April 69 single version featuring half original vocals, half new vocal overdub (with both together in places). Though Glyn retained an alternate 'live' version for his Get Back LP(s).

14. Arnold Grove

I didn't mention that since I was only talking about songs on the Let It Be album, but I should have anyway. Those added vocals on "Don't Let Me Down" are undocumented or unassigned by Lewisohn, right? Or am I confusing things here. Did he, or someone, figure out where they emanate from (the mystery February session??)?

theMess likes this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

No one has documented when they were recorded. But it's obvious from the Nagras what was done. Something like this:

New overdub up to the middle eight section. No original vocals.

Old AND new vocals together on middle eight and following chorus.

Old vocal for verse 2 (but with Paul's harmony mixed out), both vocals together on final choruses.

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I
    I understand what you're saying, but I still think Michael intended to follow the story of not only the Beatles working in the studio (and performing live) but doing so as a cohesive unit, something they really had done much in the previous 2 years. Of course the public at large didn't really know HOW they recorded in 1967 and 1968, but they did and wanted to return (and showcase) to a more basic style and recording method. What Michael failed to do is actually show how it all works in the studio. He'd show snippets of early performances, but not the evolution of a song as it develops. Probably an easier concept on paper than one to pull off on film. Most fans probably would prefer to hear many songs rather than showcasing ten or so songs going through the process of recording, along with the accompanying chat/discussion, jokes as the session goes along. Ron

17. brainwashed

Most likely from the February session(s). I don't think any booted track from the Get Back sessions includes the added vocals. Ron

theMess likes this.
  18. brainwashed

Duplicate

19. brainwashed

It's just not proper to ask such a question. As Billy Joel says, "it's a matter of trust". Some of us know people in position to relate details. Nik personally knows many folks within the Beatles inner circle... as do I, and a few others here as well. Not all the information we gather is 100% accurate, but we try to be as forthright as possible. If Nik says Yoko is/was blocking the release of Let It Be, I surely believe him. Ron

20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

When the price of all three editions exceeds $100 on Amazon, I'm bringing all those boxes down from my attic and retiring. (Just kidding, unfortunately.)

Kim Olesen, theMess and Zeki like this.
  21. brainwashed

Why? George is clean-shaven when the film starts and grows his moustache for the rest of the sessions. At some point John had the start of a beard (best seen on the back of the LP cover), then clean-shaven for the remainder of the sessions. I don't think Paul shaving his beard signaled the end-point of the film. Then again... maybe it was THE reason :) Ron

theMess likes this.
  22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Are you "convinced" by the "Suzy's Parlour" footage in the film? Do you leave the segment thinking that you've actually seen John sing it?

23. slane

slane Forum Resident

That's actually from the February 'mystery' session too, just like clean-shaven Paul :)

24. brainwashed

Ahh, is it?? Aren't there scenes in Let It be with John showing a beard? Yikes...haven't seen the actual film in awhile. Ron

theMess likes this.
  25. brainwashed

This fan comp is just wonderful. The portion of the stand-up version use to be available in full on Youtube but I don't see it. That entire performance is a hoot, but this assemblage is lots of fun. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.