The Cure: Kiss Me vs. Disintegration vs. Wish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Cut, Wendy Time, The Big Hand and Elise all have early versions that are great.

As for the question of these three albums, I've given it some thought since this thread popped back up today, and it's

1. Disintegration
    2. Kiss Me x3 & Wish (Tie).

All of them have great b-sides, too.

2. tweed_champ

tweed_champ Active Member

During my high school years I owned both Disintegration and Wish - I'd have to listen to them both again to form a solid opinion now, but I remember enjoying Wish more. Kiss Me is phenomenal too, actually - I need to listen to that one again. I was happy to see that it's being released on RSD this year - it'd be great to snag that one on vinyl.

Side note: one of my favourite Cure songs of all time is "Burn" off of the Crow soundtrack. Anybody else enjoy that track? Love it.

JeffMo likes this.
  3. wayved

wayved Guest

Wish gets my vote. As much as I love Disintegration, Wish was the better album in my opinion!

4. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Burn is very cool. I don't like to hear it all the time, so it stays a treat.

Does the RSD Kiss Me include the orange 10"? If so, I definately want one.

5. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Love Burn from The Crow soundtrack!

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Kiss Me". They lost me with "Disintegration", never could stand that album. And after "Friday I'm In Love" came out I never touched a new Cure album again. That has to be one of the worst songs of the last 25 years....

Hermes likes this.
  7. marke

marke Forum Resident

Disintegration for me. I reckon it's their best album, period. There's not one weak track amongst the bunch.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  8. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Kiss Me... and Wish were very good albums but Disintegration was a different league.

Carlox and Front 242 Addict like this.
  9. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I vote for Disintegration,
    This album is a real treasure, the ultimate winter album.

The combination of such a beautiful clear and deep guitar sounds with mesmerising synth lines accompanied by the magical and melancholic voice of Robert Smith creates an unforgettable masterpiece,
    tracks like - Pictures of You , Plainsong, The Same Deep water as You, Last Dance, Prayers Of Rain turn this album to be my favorite cure work within their entire discography.

Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me is really great album but Disintegration has unique atmosphere which nothing can compete with it.
    Wish has few excellent tracks but he is not even close to the greatness of Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me and Disintegration.

10. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I wish they would've included This Twilight Garden or The Big Hand on the Wish album instead of Wendy Time.

andres lira likes this.
  11. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Just curious if you listened to the Wendy Time demo linked on the previous page. For me, it drastically improved my perspective on the song.

Before I heard that version, I'd of never thought any replacing of Wish tracks could include an incarnation of that song. This demo makes a case for it making the cut.

12. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

Wish was my Cure gateway album, and it's still my favorite. I do love the other two just as much.

13. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

Disintegration. I don't like Wish at all, and Kiss Me... should have been trimmed of its fat.

14. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

While i still prefer some of the B-Sides i agree that the Wendy Time Demo is much stronger than the album version.

15. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Still looking to find the legit offline version of Starplex '89. Anybody know where I can find it?

16. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I never quite got Kiss Me, the songs on it didn't do much for me, I liked Disintegration when it came out, very atmospheric and dark, but, I really like Wish when it came out, it seemed to capture elements of both those pervious albums well. Friday I'm in Love, was a great single too.

17. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Wish has some amazing moments, the heartbreak of "To Wish Impossible Things" is probably the highlight for me. From The Edge, Alone, Elise and Cut are all great tunes too. I rank Disintegration first thought, brilliant from start to finish.

18. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Got you covered.

rbichamp likes this.
  19. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

I would follow the consensus, Disintegration followed by Kiss Me followed by Wish. But they are probably also my 3 favourite cure albums, I rate Wish higher than most. They were at their zenith in terms of musicianship and songwriting at this point, and had their best line up.

20. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Disintegration by a mile

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This thread is akin to choosing your favorite child.

22. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Easy choice... Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me

23. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I know Disintegration will win but I voted for Wish as being a fan of a more rock music style, I love the heavier elements of Wish. Wasn't Disintegration a bit depressing? Need to give it another listen. From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea is a barnstormer.

24. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

I love Disintegration and voted accordingly. It was my first record I bought from the Band and actually caught the Disintegration tour that year. This was The Cure at their peak and the album is a classic. When I put on a Cure CD these days, it's Disintegration that I turn to......

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I'm not gonna choose because I like all three for different reasons.

However, I wondered if there's someone else who thinks Kiss Me x3 works a lot better without Hey You in the tracklist. I used to have the vinyl and deluxe, but ever since I got the awesome sounding original cd issue I haven't missed Hey You, which is easily the weakest track, one bit since the album seems to flow seamlesly from The Snakepit to Just Like Heaven.
    Besides, I got the extended version on the Join The Dots-set so I'm not missing out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.