Harry Shearer Fired from THE SIMPSONS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wonder what happened to Harry's finger?

2. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Harry didn't mention anything about the negotiations on last weekend's episode of Le Show. He did say "As you may have noticed this week, I'm on twitter! @theharryshearer"

Alrighty, thank you very much, uh huh.

3. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Maybe he reached down to grab a penny off the floor the same time that Jack did :)

4. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I for one am looking forward to see Harry Shearer in more movies or other projects. I love this guy.

5. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Bender is already in the Simpson's basement and Fry always manages to time travel. Just add them to the show, now that Futurama is gone. :D

Bender Rodriguez and vince like this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Nice!

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

No. It boils down to acting and vocal talent. There is no AutoTune for character.

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

NOW CUT THAT OUT!!!

Remurmur and Captain Groovy like this.
  9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

How conceivable is constructing his lines from the vast amount of material already recorded? Like how they made Brian Williams rap.

10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Wow Guy, your timing is almost as good as Jack's! Jack first spoke his famous catch phrase, "NOW CUT THAT OUT!!!" 75 years ago this week! I just aired that wonderful episode on my podcast yesterday! Here is the link to it, have a listen it just might be the most fun you will have all week!

Jack Benny Podcast 1940-05-19 (375) Northwest Passage

It includes Jack's spoof of Northwest Passage that starred Spencer Tracy and Robert Young.
    [​IMG]

11. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

The rest of the cast got tired of the cucumber in the trousers bit...;)

Pete Puma likes this.
  12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Even if they had the legal right to do that, it would be a nightmare. Didn't they try this with the Chef of South Park?

And Harry, if I were him, would sue anyway.

IMO, and I don't see how any fan of the show can't see this, the show CAN'T go on without Harry. OR Dan C. Basically, they are HUGE assets or tremendous liabilities (depending on where you're standing).

Harry's gonna get more money, more of what he wants, and the show will be back as we know it. They'll cough up more with more dough. Waaaay too much money in play to risk how the audience will react to a Harry-less Simpsons.

It's not just the show at stake - it's the MASSIVE amount of licensing and countless other streams of income. Didn't basically the entire city of Springfield just open this Summer at Universal?

This will work out with Harry on the show. If this was a true ultimatum - and he has some major changes in lifestyle in store (as some do - some really quite, move to a farm, and that's that - rare, but it happens. I don't think Harry would be a "farm" guy in particular...) THEN there's nothing to be done.

I had the film rights from one of the biggest coach legends from the coach's children - all of them on board. His life story. Set it up with a faith-based company with DEEP pockets.

But then, we find in the '70s, the coach signed a "film rights" thing on the back of a napkin basically to one of his players (who did nothing with it). This player stopped the film from happening because the Coach decided (though the children and and lawyers explained that 70s scribbling could easily be thrown out in court). The Coach said if he signed it, it was his word, and he answers to a higher power, NOT MONEY. He wouldn't side with his own flesh and blood on what they felt was best.

So you can't fight that. However, I do call the player once in awhile, check in on his son and his famous daughter-in-law, basically explaining how much he cost the family who NEEDED the funds as "Free Tuition to UCLA" for any member of his family doesn't cut it when you have special needs grandchildren. And he screwed all of them... his attempted "script", to "help the family" AFTER the fact wasn't even formatted. POS this guy is - believe me - bitter - was briefly on a TV who himself and got VERY full of it. Wouldn't even take an EP credit and MONEY on a REAL MOVIE for doing nothing - or being a consultant, whatever. ***** wouldn't budge. Instead, nothing.

I digress, but unless Harry answers to another "power" in his mind, this will be solved. I can't imagine him wanting to leave on this note, either. There's a legacy, and he is part of it...

Jeff

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

With Isaac Hayes all they needed was a couple of oft repeated lines("Hello children!) in the episode where they got rid of him. They never tried to keep the Chef in the show after that. As I recall Hayes bitched about them using previously recorded lines. Boo freakin' hoo. He deserved to be gone and I don't miss him(on South Park).

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Lets put this if Harry wants more money and Fox and friends
    say basically my way or the highway.
    What to do you? Sure he voiced the characters but he did not create them.
    If he has the balls to sue? with Murdochs lawyers guess who will win.
    I never seen such cheer leading for this guy that does voices on Simpsons
    He's not saving lives or anything? he got lucky more than Mel Blanc
    and other voice actors ever had.
    Fox, should of cut cord with him and the show along time ago.

15. Well then they would still have to pay him for additional usages. But that would technically be a pain and artistically not great.

16. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

There's no way they would do this unless it was as a joke. It's not just a matter of piecing together the words, it's finding/matching the right inflection or nuance required. And doing so would be ridiculously time consuming.

It would work for short catchphrases like "Excellent, Smithers" or "Hi-diddly-ho neighbor" but actual dialogue would be a nightmare.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

"Say, man, if you can't dig my melodious voice...."

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Nah. Blatant hypocricy. If you don't remember why he left the show look it up. Much respect for him as a musician, not so much for other aspects of him.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I vaguely recall something about that. I just thought his quote from I'm Gonna Get You Sucka was appropriate. ;)

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I suspect SAG-AFTRA would put a stop to that. At the least, the show would have to pay Shearer for the new episodes, and I would bet their union contract forbids them to use old previously-recorded elements to replace an actor.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

23. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

It's all just a ratings grab. At the end of the episode we'll find out that it was all just a dream or that Homer didn't actually cheat on Marge or that Lena Dunham was just Marge in disguise, blah blah blah.

Shark. Jumped.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  24. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

He IS, and apparently very greedy as well. How much money does one person NEED? Got a house? Check. Got a car? Check. Food on the table every day? Check. Zero sympathy for the guy.

Okay, so I have never watched the show.

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Homer and Marge have separated in the past before. Or are they saying this will be a season-long story arc (something the show has never really tried before)? Either way, yes, it does seem rather desperate at this point.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.