Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

If you want a test tone, buy a test record. As for the correct way to measure W&F, would you prefer he do it like some manufacturers (Technics & Reloop come to mind) who measured the output of the speed controller instead of a real world measurement where stylus drag, platter inertia, flywheel effect, etc., all affect the sound and in fact produce the true performance of the entire turntable as it impacts the sound produced?

Licorice pizza likes this.
  2. missan

missan Forum Resident

I have test records, I don´t have the TT. Why would I prefer measurements that are not standard measurements of W&F. These types of measurements like this app, is only confusing things, just like values taken without playing a record. We don´t know what we mean, and they can´t be compared with standards.
    One could say that values only taken with this app could be compared with each other, unfortunately this comparings are way to rough, as they don´t take into account any weighing of the modulating frequences, only high passing, which essentially is worthless.

But I´m not that very interested, if people want to think this TT has +-0.02W&F and that those figures are meaningful, I won´t interfere.

3. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I think such high praise may save me a couple thousand dollars in the future. Thank you for sharing this.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of a high quality properly aligned cart with decent interconnects, as long at the table doesn't have any serious mechanical shortcomings it should sound great.

5. missan

missan Forum Resident

I partly agree as people usually don´t put 'great' cartridges on cheaper TTs, thinking in some ways it could be a waste, which it isn´t at all in my book.
    Decent ICs is to have the right capacitance for the cartridge, at least for MMs and most MIs.
    All TTs have mechanical shortcomings, some more some less.

6. Dr. Metal MD

I currently have the AT LP120 and recently upgraded my headshell to the Zupreme with much better interconnects than the stock headshell as well as azimuth adjustment, since the stock was always off on that measure. I upgraded my cart to a Shure M97xE and then upgraded the stylus to a JICO SAS (which cost nearly as much as the TT itself). After very careful alignment and further adjustments to the TT (like taking the horrid pre-amp out), I was and still am astounded by the quality of sound I can get out of this relatively cheap TT. It is my first TT, so I don't have anything more 'hi-fi' to compare to, but I am continually impressed. I can only imagine how much better everything will sound with the PLX-1000.

7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The fun of sonic improvements from upgrades is what makes this hobby so much fun. CDs are positively boring by comparison (even with green markers ;-) )!

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

I don´t really agree about CDs, just that it´s a little more complicated.

9. Dr. Metal MD

I see people recommending using the Ortofon Black with the PLX-1000. Is the Ortofon Black just a really great cart or does it work particularly well with the PLX-1000? This TT is cheaper than the cart from what I am seeing!

10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'd move your Shure over, along with the upgraded headshell.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  11. Dr. Metal MD

Ha it's that good of a cart, huh?

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

This is very subjective, how we like cartridges. Me I think it´s better than 2MBlack.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  13. Dr. Metal MD

What do you think is better than 2M Black?

14. missan

missan Forum Resident

Your Shure with a SAS.

HiFi Guy and The Pinhead like this.
  15. Dr. Metal MD

Ahh, good to hear that someone has that opinion! It's certainly a lot cheaper combo than the Black. Thank you for clarifying what you meant. I love my Shure/SAS. I only have 400 hours or so on it, so I have quite a lot of mileage left before I'm even thinking of replacing it.

16. Dr. Metal MD

When you say you would move my upgraded headshell over, can you clarify what you mean please? Are you suggesting I should use the stock headshell with the PLX-1000 rather than the Zupreme?

Cheers,

17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The Zupreme will be perfect for the Pioneer. Don't use the Pioneer headshell.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  18. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

My Pioneer headshell is just collecting dust next to my system. I wonder why they even bother to include it if it doesn't work well with carts, as is the consensus so far?

19. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It works, but an upgraded one is audibly superior, in my experience.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Because it was the best Hanpin could design? I think we're getting into serious tweaking territory with this swap. There have be decades of discussion about arm swapping, but designer headshell swapping isn't something I've heard much talk about. I'm sure some are better than others, though. But what kind of headshell do you expect to find on an okay arm? I'm sure in another couple months someone is going to going to find their nirvana of an arm for this table and that round of modding will begin and people will be saying "Don't even bother leaving the stock arm on it...? I'll set my watch on that countdown.

Vinyl Addict, rtrt and Licorice pizza like this.
  21. Licorice pizza

Thanks HFG. So what is your opinion regarding carts that are sold already installed to a headshell? I'm super lazy to do it myself. :(

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. Licorice pizza

Lol! Ok, let the countdown begin. ;)

The Pinhead and Ghostworld like this.
  23. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

I would advise doing it yourself for the better combo. Its super easy, It only takes a few minutes, and you can make a better combo than what is installed, and if you can hear the difference in sound then you should do it. If you cant hear those kind of differences then you dont need to do anything.

Dr. Metal MD and Licorice pizza like this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It is inevitable, isn't it, Licorice? ;)

25. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Not a big fan. The one piece units are designed for the Technics 1200, which has a different spindle to pivot distance than the Pioneer. Your overhang will be incorrect for either Stevenson or Baerwald. Also, my cartridge is "twisted" in the headshell to align properly. You won't be able to do that either.

A little effort goes a long way towards better sound.