Do you stream your music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grohlfan, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan Thread Starter

2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Hell, no. And I never shall.

dalem5467, musicfan37, Dave and 5 others like this.
  3. StephenDedalus

StephenDedalus Forum Resident

I do stream my music, but I sure as **** don't get rid my physical media, the opposite in fact. I don't have that much stuff, because I am quite young (In comparison to most on hear I imagine?) but basically I listen to the majority of stuff on Spotify or digital, but alongside that I buy actual records of the albums that I really love. Living on a student loan, so I can't buy that many but I working my way up :)

Centrum, Dave, jsayers and 1 other person like this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

5. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Well, there's streaming and there are streaming services. The author seems not to distinguish between the two. And why is vinyl his paradigm for buying music? You can also buy files, CDs or blurays. Very one-sided, even parochial, I'd say.

And using offensive language does NOT make anybody more right. And it sure doesn't give the author the right to tell me which words I'm allowed to use.

Uther likes this.
  6. weef

weef Forum Resident

Yes I do. Rhapsody, Pandora, and Songza. Rhapsody when I want to select individual albums or songs, the other two when I just want a mix of songs based on an artist or genre. Any songs I can't get on Rhapsody I rip the CDs for listening over my wireless speakers (Beatles, Eagles, DC5, etc.).

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Such language!

In any case, the music is what counts, not the format. The LP companies, "Back in the day", also managed to squeeze the musicians out of their well-earned profits. And a bad sounding LP played back on bad gear will sound more than bad enough to compete with Spotify in the race to the bottom, sonically. Some of those bad sounding LPs are brand spanking new, like Neil Young said, a fashion statement, a CD file on vinyl, the worst of both worlds. So pays your money and makes yer choice. Things will get worse until things get better. Streaming could be better, but this is an era full of bad intent and bad results.

And in answer to the primary question, I don't have a smart phone and I'd like to avoid getting one as long as possible. I streamed Spotify for about a week and returned to my CDs and LPs. Radio Paradise ain't half bad, will return to that when I have the means.

Larry Mc likes this.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

No. CDs only, for me. I don't even listen to the radio anymore.

dalem5467, Dave, Joshua277456 and 4 others like this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How weird that there's cursing on Vice. So you all saying "no" don't even use YouTube videos? I find that unrealistic as if you've ever watched one clip here then you've used a streaming service.

melstapler and ARK like this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Ok. That one, but that's it. :)

Dave likes this.
  11. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

On my second week of Google s All Access. What a way to discover new (and old) music to spend more money on CDs!

Jband88 and Martijn like this.
  12. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident

I will never understand why playing bits off plastic discs as opposed to off a hard drive or other modern media is given such importance cf. some of the replies here. Does it have something to do with CDs being seen as more "authentic" than presumably more "sterile," "alienating" modern storage and playback devices? Just wondering.

For me, streaming is the way to go:

1. Convenience. Finding an album on the PC or via the monitor connected to my Oppo is so much easier than locating a jewel case, opening it, and putting the disc in the tray.

2. Flexibility. Double albums and live concerts can be streamed without interruption. Playlists can be created on the spur of the moment. Most important - The White Album can be played as one continuous album.

3. Backup. Once everything has been ripped and FLAC'ed, securing your collection becomes cheap and simple.

4. Storage space. Why waste shelf space on what is mostly the air within the jewel cases? Most of my jewel cases have been chucked away, the discs and artwork stored in sleeves from The Jazz Loft and put in office storage boxes on the shelf, which only takes up about 1/3 of the space. A soft sleeve feels much better holding than a jewel case, although this is a minor point since I usually don't handle the CDs after ripping them.

5. Filing and metadata. Live albums can be filed according to the date, ROIO albums containing cuts from different sources can be split up and placed in folders according to the date of recording, making it much easier to locate e. g. individual tracks on CDs of unrelated dates.

6. Albums "born" digital. Why would I burn a ROIO I have downloaded or an album purchased in digital format to a plastic disc?

As I see it only analog media or SACDs that most of us cannot rip would qualify for non-streaming playback.

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

If you count U Tube then occasionally.
    Otherwise , no.
    I am a proud Luddite.

B_big! likes this.
  14. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Most often NPR app on old iPhone 2 (out of service) to Logitech BT adapter on the stereo. Great for new music. Those old iPhones were built to last forever, I have two filled with music to listen to on the Soundlink pool side.

15. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I use Spotify like I used to use the radio, not as a replacement for physical media.

danner, Dino, bozburn and 9 others like this.
  16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Don't even know how.

erniebert likes this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Same here but for me it's more a combination of try before you buy or the public library. I've also used it to listen to bonus tracks on a reissue that I refuse to purchase for the 3rd or 4th time.

18. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

19. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Whatever was good enough for your beloved avatar is dang well good enough for me!

WapatoWolf likes this.
  20. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Assuming youtube is one of the streaming services implied in the question, then yes, I have streamed music and will do so on occasion. As for Spotify and other services of its kind, no, I don't stream music

I keep my old vinyl, on rare occasion buy new vinyl ( a dicey proposition, as it's expensive and quality control isn't always there) and I keep my CDs. Some of the music I love is obscure and I can't expect it to always be available via streaming.

Dino and RONENRAY like this.
  21. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Spotify helps me avoid buying "accidental mistakes" and helps me check out curio hits like Mark Ronson solo albums, Kaneye West/Beyonce things that are out of my "normal" circle and other things I don't "get" instantly.

But sometimes, I find unique things and THEN purchase the CD or whatever format (hi-rez FLAC, however released). So it worked. But I don't go BACK to Spotify to listen if I have it now. That goes into JRiver Audio Player if I want to play back on computer, mix up tracks, whatever. But streaming something I now own? I don't do that.

And yes I burn my hi-rez files to DVD-R for playback on the SACD/DVD player. I'm figuring out now how to play direct from computer, but the DVD-R remains and backed up physically. And played back with the DVD-R.

I also like a lot of obscure stuff, and they are generally not on Spotify. But some long OOP CDs from the Europe (say, "The Merrymakers" from the 90s only stream on there...) I have all versions and b-sides of the album, but I find that Bubblegun on there was quite interesting. But further back obscure stuff? That's where most of my interest is focused on...

Okay, there are a few albums in my Spotify account that I have as "Albums" that sit there, but damn, I don't want to own them. But I like the access. Queen's Hot Space comes to mind.

BTW, I recently found out how to turn off that INSTANT ON UPON COMPUTER START UP Spotify annoyance thing through Windows 8.1. That was the only annoying bit - couldn't undefault using the program - had to do it through Windows.

Jeff

Shiver likes this.
  22. David67

David67 Forum Resident

I use Qobuz as a hybrid service and Concert Vault for listening to entire live shows as well as buying CD's. It's just that I'm more selective these days with the physical format.

23. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Is Amazon Prime a streaming service? I've gotten very fond of listening to music on earbuds on the go, and have gotten into a lot of new music by being able to sample it first.

24. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

I use spotify occasionally to check, whether a record of an artist, I'm not familiar with, is worth buying (vinyl record). I very rarely buy compact discs, I guess I'm a little old fashioned, and I'll stay that way.
    From time to time I watch a few videos on u-tube, but I don't really need a visual stimulation to listen to music.
    IMHO (In my humble opinion) the format is a question of culture, and what kind of love you have for your music collection.

CARPEYOLO likes this.
  25. kevin

kevin Senior Member

It's cd's,dvd-a,blu ray audio and xm and that's how I roll.[so yes I do stream and do physical media.....it's the best of both worlds]......the only part of XM I haven't tried yet is MySXM but I will eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.