U.S. 12AT7 variation reccomendations.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ian, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    If it isn't one thing it's another... One of the NOS Amperex Bugle Boy 12AT7s in my Jolida 302A took a nosedive this weekend and went severely microphonic. I gently tapped on it with my fingernail at moderate volume and it made that lovely little ringing noise. Luckily I had a pair of JJs on hand to put in for the time being. Right now I can't afford another pair of BBs much less any other Euro tubes, so I'm looking into the U.S. side of things and the 6414 variation has caught my eye (possibly because of the 10,000 hr rated heater life). The GE greyplate is reasonably priced, but the slightly more expensive Raytheon blackplate seems to be highly regarded. I tried two pairs of Sylvania blackplate AT7s, before getting the Bugle Boys and for some strange reason both pairs hummed rather loudly (I have no idea why they would do that), but anyhow... Are there any other U.S. AT7 variations to look into?
    Thank you in advance.

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You can try 5965 tubes as a sub for 12AT7

Ian likes this.
  3. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Hilarious reading this if you're not into hifi. This is what it sounds like to my wife:

Ian likes this.
  4. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I've been using GE "5-star" 6201 TM grey plate's in my 302b for a few years. They are very nice.:agree:

jeff

Ian likes this.
  5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The good news is that, for whatever reason, the NOS 12AT7 market has not yet gone parabolic yet like the NOS 12AX7 and 12AU7 markets both have. So it is still affordable at the moment to do some rolling on the cheap with 12AT7s. So if I were you, I'd buy several and start rolling now while you can still do so without spending a fortune to figure out which tubes you like the best.

Ian likes this.
  6. Ian

I just talked to Brent Jessee about it and I think I'm going to try the GE 6416W... I'll get some 6201 and 5965 and stock up as well... I love tube rolling as well... Just an excuse to buy more :winkgrin: Thanks muchly guys!

7. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

When you find something you like, buy a few more before reporting back please!

8. Ian

Will do.

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

donno what floats your boat but using Siemens & Halske NOS 12AT7 (whatever the euro equivalent is, I forget at the moment) in my 300B amps gave a more detailed, crisp sound without being amusical. Just what I needed at the time to spice things up a bit.

I may go back to original driver tubes (I think RCA something or others) that came with the kits tho, as I have a new preamp that's more detailed than my previous one. Certainly good to have the ability to flavor the sound to taste (or just because ...).

10. Ian

I'd give them a try, but those are just out of my price range at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.