The Flash (TV Series 2014– )

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by musicalbeds, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I believe he originally intended to kill Barry but settled on his mom when that wasn't going to happen as the flash carried "Barry" to safety.[end of spoiler\]

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Ken_McAlinden likes this.
  2. That's precisely the way I took it as well. It wasn't a continuation of the singularity we saw earlier but an attempt by the time stream to "correct" the universe due to the changes caused bY what occurred.[end of spoiler/]

musicalbeds likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

These things have already happened on the show and we've been discussing them -- there's no need for spoiler tags.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

These are all very good questions. In fact, why didn't The Flash go back in time an hour earlier and just get the kid, the mom, and the dad out of the house and to safety before Thawne showed up... and then just killed Thawne the moment he appeared?

There's always the possibility that a new timeline has been created and the real Dr. Wells somehow survived, since future-Thawne was killed. I agree, it is a very messy plot filled with time-travel paradoxes... but it's kind of amusing on several different levels.

The Cisco Kid, he was a friend of mine.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  5. If Eddie's dead so reverse Flash never existed, wouldn't that undo everything that ever happened, therefore no Flash, although Barry's mother would still be alive and Eddie never had to shoot himself and Dr. Wells would have not been killed years ago and my head is spinning trying to think about it! Screw it, I'm going back to watching "Doctor Who".

That's why the black hole opened: Swallowing up a redundant time line. See "Doctor Who" series from 2005 episode "Father's Day".

musicalbeds likes this.
  6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I tried watching it but it feels like a kids show like smallville ! not as good as the 90's Flash show ! this is far too soapy for me to like it ! ​

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The producers have said it's possible the real Doctor Wells happened to create the same experiment that blew up his lab and created The Flash. So Flash would have existed no matter what.

Eh, it's time-travel sci-fi... just go with it.

There are some eye-rolling moments with the various romantic entanglements that make me wince as well. But this is one of the highest-rated CW shows on the air, one of the biggest hits they've had in a long time.

musicalbeds likes this.
  8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It'll always remain a distant second fiddle in my heart as long as Supernatural remains on the air.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm amazed that Supernatural is still on the air -- the ratings are pretty low -- but I can't dispute that the cast has very good chemistry and the shows are often pretty funny.

10. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger Thread Starter

When RF killed Dr Wells, he lamented doing it, citing Wells creation of the Flash further in the future, and saying he couldn't wait for Wells to make it happen, he was going to do it himself...five years earlier? I can't quite recall how much earlier Thawne made it happen, but the show was pretty clear that Wells created the Flash, and Thawne was killing him only to make the particle accelerator explosion happen sooner.

11. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

i love supernatural haha. been watching it since it aired almost a decade ago. the show shouldve ended after the whole lucifer thing but they kept going, probably due to popular demand.

12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The show is cheaply produced and for whatever reason CWs rating standards are far lower than other Networks. NBC is known to cancel shows that are twice as popular as Supernatural over low ratings, but ultimately it doesn't fare any worse than any other CW program.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

If they are smart, they've got a backup plan to take Supergirl to the CW if it does not get high enough ratings to stay on CBS. I'm having trouble imagining Supergirl being a high rated CBS show. I would guess we'll get a season or two out of it on CBS at best. Does anyone know what the CBS initial episode commitment is on Supergirl, I would think 13 episodes.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I just posted this in another thread so apologies for those that read it twice.

Producer Greg Berlanti has stated that Supergirl would never have worked at the CW because they couldn't provide the budget required. Arrow and The Flash are able to keep costs down by shooting in Canada, Supergirl has a much larger budget and is shot in Los Angeles.

CBS hasn't announced the number of episodes but did say the show received a full-season order.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The sets on The Flash are pretty cheap, but I've been impressed with the acting talent and scripts. Compare this to (say) Gotham, which I think is a much more costly series -- more locations, a much bigger cast, bigger crowd scenes, more props, etc.

musicalbeds likes this.
  16. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger Thread Starter

The Flash has managed to overcome some obstacles to be a fun watch, number one of the three in my book, over Gotham and Arrow. It's no Daredevil, but it doesn't really try to be... I think that's part of it's appeal, plus the good job they did marrying Wally West elements into Barry Allen.

17. You are right because Eobard also stated this in discussion with The Flash as I recall. Also, he had been battling The Flash before he was trapped in the past changing it by becoming Wells.

18. I'm doing that for those who might not have caught up on the show yet.

19. I liked Daredevil quite a bit. I think The Flash is better written with a more compelling story arc.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I only just watched the last few shows in the last couple of days, so thankfully I'm all caught up. But I was a fan of the comic in the 1960s, so I knew about the Reverse Flash and the time-travel thing and the whole deal.

I don't agree, but I'd grant you that both shows are well-done and very successful. This is a Mercedes vs. Cadillac comparison: both good cars, I wouldn't mind driving either, but a top of the line Mercedes is in a class by itself. I think Daredevil is a far more ambitious show, because there's never been a superhero show in history that was this dark, this strange, and this violent. Plus Daredevil had exceptionally good production values, far better than I expected. I would bet this show cost $4 million+ an episode.

musicalbeds likes this.
  21. To each his own. I think it's far easier to go for a completely dark show than balance the darkness and light of tone for a show like The Flash but, having said that, I will agree it is an apples to oranges comparison. Both are exceptionally well done shows. The Flash had to create far more episodes on a smaller budget and had to produce far more shows and still keep the arc alive an interesting. I give kudos to both that they concluded their first story arc by the end of the season not completely leaving audiences hanging but the cliff hanger for the last episode for Flash was very cool. I also like that they incorporated the suit in the ring thing from the comics but didn't overuse it.

musicalbeds and Vidiot like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm blown away that we actually got two decent superhero shows in one year! Most studios and producers seem to believe it's trivial to do, but we've seen many, many horrible superhero and sci-fi shows bite the dust in the last decade. I know that shows like Smallville and Lois & Clark did well economically, but I thought it was an awful show, mainly because of how far it strayed from the Superman legend. At least The Flash and Daredevil have kept close to the roots, modernizing the story but sticking mainly to the basic plot that's always been there. You can read the 1960s comic books, then watch the show and say, "ya know -- it's not that far off." (I was never much of a Green Arrow fan, so I've stayed away from that show, but I know it has an audience.)

You can also tell that the producers of The Flash and Daredevil clearly love what they do, because there's all kinds of in-jokes and little references here and there. They also went the extra mile in casting and spending money, which was a great idea.

I have much less hope on Supergirl, based on what I've seen so far. We'll see how that goes.

wayneklein and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  23. I'm not so sure about Supergirl. The extended preview made it seem more Lois and Clark with spectacular visuals but we will see. I will give the show a chance but I don't think it can attract the numbers necessary to keep it on for more than a season. If it was on CW, I could see it doing well as that network has a different vibe than CBS.

It will all starts with the writing. The producers that did The Flash did Arrow and Supergirl so it will be interesting to see how they tackle the material since the first two shows are different in terms of their approach to the material. I'm also still rooting for Gotham which has become a surprise favorite for me against the odds and its a small miracle that Fox didn't blow that show by messing with its scheduling or some other silliness like they have with other dramas thst were promising.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Totally agree. Gotham was a big surprise for me, and I really thought this was gonna tank quickly. I'm glad the show turned out to be as good as it was, and it's had some surprisingly interesting moments. When <a certain character> pushed <a bad guy> out the window and murdered him, I thought, "wow, they're already getting influenced by Daredevil and adding more violence!" I thought it was unusual that they would allow murder under these circumstances to be shown on TV. (I won't reveal more, for those who haven't yet seen the last few episodes.)

25. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

This show is very good so far. I say "so far" because I only discovered on the night of the season finale that Tom Cavanagh (I'm a fan from Ed and Scrubs) was in a new show. Then, I found out that the finale was airing while I was learning this. So, I caught the last 30 minutes (where, of course, I was completely lost), but have watched the three repeats so far.

If I knew TC was in it, I'd have probably been there from the beginning. Not sure how I missed that for an entire season. I manage to find out about all kinds of TV shows, movies, and music that doesn't interest me, but this got past me. Anyway, good stuff. And nice eye candy in Caitlin and Iris. :)

warren and musicalbeds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.