Did Brent Mydland's death kill the Grateful Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

My favorite era for the GD was way before Brent Mydland ever came on board. Although he was a good musician and his death was tragic, it wasn't devastating to me. As far as I am concerned, there were three core elements to that band. Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Phil Lesh. All the others were good, but not the essential components.

dylankicks likes this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

No offense to anyone who enjoys the song. I find it lyrically inane (one of Hunter's absolute lowpoints) and I don't care for Vince's singing (on pretty much anything). I listen to it - I am not a skipper. :)

3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

There were new songs I liked less than Samba. As said above, Vince just didn't seem to fit in with the band. They needed a high harmony voice and a keyboard player, so he was a logical choice.
    At least Samba tended not to plod along like Eternity. I didn't care much for Corrina at the time, but on tapes it has been more interesting than I gave it credit for.
    I had a horrible streak where they played Lazy River Road (which I hated) at just about every show I went to from 93 on.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I am one of the few who liked Samba (much more than the dull Way To Go Home). If Jerry had been in better shape he could have played interesting solos over the Steely Dan-ish tense, jazzy chords Vince used in that song. Unfortunately, it was played too often, the vocal was a bit much for Vince and (as I alluded) the instrumental section was often a trainwreck due to Jerry's lagging chops.

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Most would add Billy K. to that list...

6. sumero

sumero Forum Resident

Agree. Hornsby seemed to lift the band a bit when he stepped in. There are some great shows that came out of 91. Once he left and it was Vince only on keys is where I really thought things started going down.

7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

And why, exactly, did Bruce resign his 'part-time' status again??

The reasons why Bruce left (unrehearsed, sloppy playing combined with Garcia's chemical intake) would directly explain the musical decline.

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Vince was a hired hand right from the start, no way he was in the Last Man Standing provision

9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'd never heard of this Last Man Standing clause. Who's going to be the lucky winner?

10. RayS

According to Bill's new book, the "race is off". They amended the provision to "take care of everyone's families" or something to that effect.

11. RayS

That's my feeling as well. Just curious if it has been documented (or if it's been documented when Brent went from salaried employee to vested band member).

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Good, otherwise Mickey will spend all the farewell shows throwing drumsticks at the rest of the core four.

Crispy Rob and RayS like this.
  13. RayS

Mickey had the advantage all along - Vulcans live longer.

14. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Of course, not.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well we know he has good aim. 14:54 in until the end of the song.

Crispy Rob, O Don Piano and RayS like this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Some say when Pig departed. Others, Keith. I saw the Brent era only but listen to '69-'74. I don't care when they met their demise, only when they were at their peak. I don't have time for sentimentality, only good music.

Randy Goldberg likes this.
  17. serge

serge Forum Resident

To me after 77 they were a dead band walking.... doesn't mean they weren't capable of a good night....

When I see people getting crazy about 89 shows I just don't get it...

18. Uly Gynns

Uly Gynns Forum Resident Thread Starter

'89 from what I've seen does feature a "tighter band", very much in tune with one another....But then again, the Dead's early success was built on the exact opposite - fluid, loose jamming. So I guess where you part ways with the band comes down to which version you prefer - the earlier era or the more commercial '87 to '95 post Comeback era? And then, within that era, if you prefer the Brent-led era of '87 to '90 or the final stand of the Vince era?

Also, if Vince was a hired hand and not a full partner, would they have played live song he wrote for the band? My usual understanding of hired hands is they don't really get to do those sorts of things. But maybe the Grateful Dead was different.

19. Uly Gynns

Uly Gynns Forum Resident Thread Starter

A side question: Who is your favorite singer in the Dead?
    Mine would probably be Phil, followed by Pigpen. Operator is one of my favorite songs of theirs. I also actually like Brent's voice, though I see here there's quite a few who don't. I feel his voice fit the time he was in the band. On Tons of Steel he sounds very 'contemporary'. Less folky than the other guys.

20. jimdavies111

jimdavies111 Active Member

I don't believe he was. I didn't care for him or Mydland but my understanding from their own comments was that both were hired as full members of the band. At least in the case of Welnick as stated by Garcia himself. Hornsby was just a guest, never a member, and in my opinion does not even mention a notice as a member. I actually think he had some balls standing with them at the Hall of fame induction. Yes, I know he inducted them. There are plenty of contemporanious interviews which define this information.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I wouldn't add him to the list. I'd start with Bill and Phil and go from there. You can't have elastic cohesion without some mighty flexible glue.

budwhite likes this.
  22. james

james Summon The Queen

It's easy to take Kreutzmann for granted with the stars at the front of the stage. However, when I hear another band cover the Dead, it's always the drumming that stands out as being the least authentic part of the song.

budwhite likes this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although I'm not sure I could find the source easily, I recall reading that Welnick was paid the same amount as the other band members. As for Hornsby, although he was not a full member, creatively I think he contributed at least as much to the shows as Welnick or Constanten (the only former member who came to the induction).

24. RayS

Vince walking in the door and getting as much as the other 5 band members for a gig would have been generous on their part. Vince getting one sixth of the merchandising money right out of the gate would seem to be outright insanity. Even way back in 1962 Ringo started as a salaried employee, rather than a member of the Beatles' partnership.

25. jimdavies111

jimdavies111 Active Member

I don't think as much as TC, but I personally dislike Hornsby. On the other hand, I also admire him walking away when the music suffered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.