Best Stoner Bands from the 90's and beyond who actually play 70's classic rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Redhat220, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

There first album was " Closer to Doom." Which was released a second time on the Record Heaven label in Sweden after there big success at Progfest 97.

ifihadafish likes this.
  2. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Bigelf's last album was a real grower - and an amazing club gig to witness too. Missed them with Portnoy - he skipped the UK leg of the tour

3. old school

old school Senior Member

I heard there last album was not that good? So I never heard it. You like it?

4. ifihadafish

I really hated it on first couple of listens. It was in a way I don't like The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway feeling. But I love that early Genesis. I've never cracked Lamb.

I cracked this one and the gig was amazing! It was about a 6-8th spin winner of an album. Their other albums never took more than 2 spins to start fully enjoying.

old school likes this.
  5. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have everything they put out up to Cheat the Gallows. I have the Record Heaven label versions for those two. I don't think there are dates anywhere inside the booklets, but I could be wrong. I'm surprised to hear Closer To Doom was the first release. Isn't there a different singer on that one? I think after that Damon Fox did all the vocals. But I'm probably off the mark there too.

6. Redhat220

I have heard it. The album is good. I think it's actually better than Cheat The Gallows, which for me was a disapointment after Hex. Too bad it is a overly compressed, brickwalled mess. I didn't buy it just for that reason.

7. old school

old school Senior Member

No Damon Fox is the singer, and most definitely " Closer to Doom " is there first album which originally was released on Third Hole Records. Then released again on Record Heaven.

8. ifihadafish

shared lead vocals on the Closer To Doom album - Damon took over full duties after that

9. old school

old school Senior Member

Richard Anton played bass and shared vocals on 4 of the ten songs.

ifihadafish likes this.
  10. Redhat220

Yeah that sounds right. I remember 2 voices on CTD.

11. ifihadafish

Having booze on board and someone talking elsewhere about this video to me - I'll throw it shameless up here too

Fenix Les Paul with Tony Iommi pickups being the reason for the chat elsewhere

12. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

13. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Could this be the first (and only?!?) thread on the Steve Hoffman forums that hasn't turned into a hate thread??!

I have hope for humanity!

tkl7, troyvod, old school and 2 others like this.
  14. ifihadafish

Its only two days old. Still time for it go pear shaped and we still haven't slagged off the Beatles yet for sounding 1970's in the 1960's.

15. Redhat220

Wow, can things get that bad on here? I've tried to be very cordial, and most folks on here have been as well. It's a good thing. There are far more important issues going on in the world, to get upset about anyone's particular musical opinions. It's been informative, I have gotten a lot of leads on bands I never heard of that I want to check out. One thing I do notice is that you get a detail wrong, someone is very quick to point it out. It's not a problem though. This forum gets bashed a lot if you do google searches, but the average person doesn't get the audiophile thing. Like the remastered stuff for example. But even with that there are a lot of people on here who have yet to wake up. I was one of them not long ago. Sometimes it does get a little carried away with the graphs and such, myself I don't have the time to get quite that in depth. I don't see anything wrong with it, though. But I have seen some posts where things almost take on a religious tone, as if some differing opinion is a form of heresy. I find that aspect of the forum amusing. But there are great people on here that know their stuff, like the one resident Roland. I've gotten so much useful info on best CD pressings from him, it's amazing. What a nice guy and a great resource.

16. gratussi

gratussi Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans.

I'm bad with labels, but some of Tame Impala's music seems to fit this mold.

17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

There's a great band called Murcielago from my area that I would consider a contender for this thread.

Strummergas and Dreadnought like this.
  18. They (and Temples, Pond, Black Hollies, Goat possibly, etc.,) fit more with a concurrent 60s pysch revivalism that at one time was the heart of garage rock, but is mainstream nowadays.

19. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

And here's another one from Murcielago...

Strummergas likes this.
  20. old school

old school Senior Member

That's some good stuff! Where would you start with Baleful Creed?

ifihadafish likes this.
  21. old school

old school Senior Member

Sometimes you feel you missed the lifeboat from the Titanic.

22. old school

old school Senior Member

Retro heaven!

Strummergas and Nielsoe like this.
  23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Prolly due to stoners, generally, being more chill. At least the ones I know/knew. Not that everyone here commenting was/is a stoner

budwhite and Redhat220 like this.
  24. Redhat220

Ha Ha I'll keep that in mind. If you have a valid point that goes against the majority, you can swim to an island without the lifeboat.

old school likes this.
  25. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.