Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe (Mastering Error?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Royce, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royce

Royce Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I was making a CD compilation today for the car, when I noticed a "pop" between 2 and 4 seconds in the left channel on the intro to Bobbie Gentry's "Ode To Billie Joe". My source CD was Rhino's "Billboard Top Pop Hits 1967".

I got out the original 1967 mono single and it's not there. I also got out the 1976 stereo re-issue single and it's not there either. I guess I'm wondering if that "pop" is on all digital copies? If not, can somebody point me to a "clean" digital transfer, and is the mono mix on CD?

Thanks, Royce :)

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have the Raven America Quilt Bobbie Gentry CD and I never heard the pop on it.

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

When I found this Youtube video and played it, I heard a pop at the very beginning. But now when I play it here, the pop is gone. :confused:

Anyway, here's the link so you can see what I mean:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-_E3UIeZUCs

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You need to get a life:D

5. Royce

Thanks for the info Brad, I'll have to check that CD out. :)

Monosterio, I hear the pop on YouTube AND here! :confused:

Here's one from YouTube without the "pop", but it seems to be a different mix as it has the guitar "dry" in the intro.

Compare that to the 1967 mix:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv3FTpsa_3I&hd=1

Has Steve ever mastered this tune?

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

How dare you call me insane? :wantsome:

:winkgrin:

Royce likes this.
  7. Royce

:hide: I didn't mean you were insane, I um, er, was just thinking that you um, oh how do you say it?,...had a UNIQUE way of looking at things. YEAH, that's it,....That's the ticket! :)

Monosterio likes this.
  8. BradOlson

Actually, I went back to the American Quilt CD and the pop you are mentioning is on the disc. I went to the wave file and found a clean guitar portion, copied it and pasted it in where the pop is, and you can do the same thing using Audacity, Adobe Audition, etc.

9. Royce

Hmm...Thanks for checking that Brad, I appreciate it. I wonder where and when that "pop" was introduced into the chain? As I say, it's not on the 1967 or 1976 vinyl singles. It's also not on the audio to the first YouTube video I posted above, but unfortunately the source of the audio is not given.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No pop on my 1988-1989 Capitol Starline 45. And the pop is not present on Time/Life Country USA 1967.

11. BradOlson

The download of the song from the album itself available on digital download services has no pop in it either.

12. Royce

Thanks McLover, so their IS a CD without the pop. I may have that CD come to think of it. Now the question is, WHERE is it?

13. Royce

That's good news. Maybe I'll just download it then. Checking the YouTube videos, the pop is omnipresent. I know it doesn't matter in the scheme of things, but I wonder who let that slip through?

14. BradOlson

It has to be the download from the Ode To Billie Joe album itself.

15. Royce

Thanks Brad! :)

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

For what it's worth I do not hear it on the Bear Family release Dim Lights, Thick Smoke, and Hillbilly Music: The Country and Western Hit Parade 1967

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.