Macca songs that are of beatle quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Three pages in and no mention of "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"??? As a kid, I thought it WAS the Beatles! Possibly the most Beatles-sounding song Paul has ever done.

2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

none ! without the rest of the group there are no beatles

3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I definitely hear "On My Way to Work" with a Beatles Sgt. Pepper era type arrangement. It's very elegiac.

theMess likes this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

What you are doing is thread crapping and against forum rules, but what we are doing is posting threads about music and musicians we like to talk about and that is encouraged here. I suggest you post threads about artists that you would like to talk about and maybe someone, I don't know who, but peradventure someone might actually come to your thread.

5. 905

905 Senior Member

I listened to McCartney II archive and Flowers in the Dirt this morning.
    Anyway, with Coming Up I kept thinking how great it would be to have John on rhythm guitar and backing vocals.

theMess and JimC like this.
  6. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

* Most of the Chaos & Disorder... album.
    * Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Smile Away, Monkberry Moon Delight.
    * Band On The Run
    * My Love
    * Maybe I'm Amazed
    * Live & Let Die
    * Venus & Mars/Rock Show, Magneto & Titanium Man, Letting Go
    * Goodnight Tonight
    * Coming Up, Temporary Secretary
    * Appreciate, Queenie Eye
    * Only Mama Knows, Gratitude
    * Calico Skies

theMess and snowman872 like this.
  7. daveidmarx

Peradventure??? o_O I see what you did there, Doc! :agree:

DmitriKaramazov and theMess like this.
  8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Not a Macca written song, but Macca produced and arranged. The music (minus the vocals) on Mary Hopkins Que Sera Sera. It would lose the tune of the song, but the backing alone is great and has a melody all its own.
    Very Beatley, and enough interesting things going on musically that the vocals aren't necessary. Great bass line, good lead electric guitar which sounds Leslied and a lot like a George lead, even though it is Paul. Good acoustic guitars playing more than chords. And of course, Ringo on drums so the Beatle sound is there.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Tord and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  9. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Paul McCartney >>>>>> than that poser Macca.

10. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I
    I think Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey almost sounds like aminiSgt Peper. It could have fit Asa Beatles song pre White LP

Tord, She is anyway and theMess like this.
  11. daveidmarx

I know I'm in the minority here, but I find Paul's solo catalog to be way more interesting and varied than the Beatles catalog. I listen to Paul's albums on a regular basis. Way more than I listen to the Beatles music. It draws me in more and is emotionally deeper to me. Especially his first four albums (McCartney/Ram/Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway) - they always sound fresh whenever I listen to them. There's an innocence to those records that's rather remarkable when you consider all he'd been through with The Beatles. Great stuff.

Cypressgreek, 905, snowman872 and 6 others like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Although I don't consider them to be more interesting than the Beatles albums, I fully agree that he has had a wonderful, diverse, eclectic and melodic solo career, and basically every solo album that he has released has it's own sound or identity.

In future, I hope that lesser known solo songs like Somedays, Calico Skies, Little Willow, Warm and Beautiful, Love In Song, Summer's Day Song, One Of These Days, Secret Friend, Your Way, Scared, Through Our Love, Jenny Wren, Hosanna, Junk, Arrow Through Me, etc, will become more well known and respected amongst the general public.

As time passes, his whole songbook will hopefully receive acclaim, rather than just his Beatles compositions.

jricc, 905, fatoldsun and 4 others like this.
  13. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Yesterday?

14. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Silly...the proper question is "Macca who?"

15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Songs from McCartney and Ram still have a bit of Beatles edge to them. After that he's drifted down his own road long enough to be Beatle distant in his music.

16. fatoldsun

fatoldsun Forum Resident

While Paul's solo catalogue is so vast and I always feel it ridiculous at how so many people would easily pigeonhole his music and more, there's one particular song that I have always loved from the first time hearing it, finding it very touching and have the "magic", timeless Beatles charm: "Junk".

Which is a beautiful little tune written from the time of something-must-have-happened in India, from when John "went and completely reversed himself" and "turned from being positive to being totally negative" (George Harrison, 1984). As any fan who might think a little too much about the Beatles, I've seen a lot of their images/footages from all the periods and and even in the early days of my "Beatles life" when I knew almost nothing about them except for already hearing more than 300 of their songs, I still could see the hardness in John's face that really hadn't appeared before the time he came back from the India trip.

Anyway back to the song. I loved it when I first heard it and has loved it ever still. There's something really beautiful, touching and poignant about the melody alone that I find immensely pleasant to hear and to sing/play. There're times when I feel tired or couldn't sleep, or nervous, I often sing it, along with some other little beautiful tunes here and there, like a lullaby, to comfort myself, to put myself into "slumber", to feel really good and calm and positive, though the lyrics is a bit sad or I just ad-lib it.

The lyrics, unlike seemingly many people here or the people that I know, absolutely make sense to me, whether to put it within the Beatles or John-Paul context or not.

I love the metaphor of the junk in the yard - all the things that were once treasured, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, now sadly become just "the junk in the yard" - asking "Why? Why?" while something fresh and new behind the "shop window" is saying "Buy! Buy!". The feeling is barely hidden with the words like "broken-hearted" and "sentimental". Obviously the "narrator" himself still very much treasures all those "junks" scattered in the yard - "bicycles for two", "sleeping bags for two". How sad it must have felt? Something for two is like the "candlestick" that's burning to the predictable ending while something else new and sturdy is forming with "building bricks". All those images and feelings I think fit very well with whatever's happening to Paul, John and the Beatles at the time, even if just on the surface of the story as we all know it...

Sorry for rambling a little too much about just one "little song" from a "little album". While "Maybe I'm Amazed","Live and Let Die", "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" and "Band on the Run"... are apparently more "epic" and much much more acclaimed as well as popular, if I can choose only one, it would definitely be "Junk" (I prefer the Anthology version) for the sheer beauty of the melody, metaphoric lyrics, the unique Beatles charm be it a Paul's song or not, and the Beatles-related origin/context.

P.S. English is not my first language so sorry for any confusing expressions and mistakes. Also beside "Junk", I would love to "nominate" "Somedays" too. Again a very touching song, which I believe must have had something to do with the Beatles (and the fact that it was written right after the Anthology project):

Sometimes I laugh,
    I laugh to think how young we were.

The sentimental me did actually cry the first time hearing it, especially at the way Paul sings the last verse:

Somedays I look,
    I look at you with eyes that shine.
    Somedays I don't,
    I don't believe that you are mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnC9UmFrdkw

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    sallymae_hogsby, 905 and theMess like this.
  17. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Goodnight Tonight? You must be joking.

18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Flamenco-disco at the Cavern!!!!!!

:D

Bemagnus likes this.
  19. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Electric Arguments. He pushed himself beyond the conventional music he usually makes.

20. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Agree with most of those, especially Maybe I'm Amazed, Back Seat OF My Car, Little Lamb Dragonfly, Jet, 1985, Live And Let Die, C Moon, Here today, and Little Willow. I would add these (in order):
    Calico Skies
    Wanderlust
    Band On The Run
    Every Night
    Some Days
    Daytime Nighttime Suffering
    Mrs. Vanderbilt
    The End Of The End
    Mull Of Kintyre
    This One
    Put It There
    Tomorrow
    Dear Boy
    Too Many People

fatoldsun and theMess like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I can t understand I forgot Wanderlust in my OP. That one is great in most everyway I can think of

theMess likes this.
  22. fatoldsun

fatoldsun Forum Resident

And consider all that he'd been through after the Beatles too. In fact I always wonder how he could create such a pleasant sounding album like Ram with such richness of ideas and melodies at the height of all those mess. And to whoever complains it to be too lightweight to the point of just "floating", well that "lightness" is perfectly just fine considering how a deeply sad and depressed person could bring so much pleasure and enjoyment to so many people. And I'd like to think it did truly bring that to him and Linda too. :)

905, daveidmarx and theMess like this.
  23. 905

905 Senior Member

Ram On

fatoldsun likes this.
  24. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I would include:

Maybe I'm Amazed
    Take It Away
    Band on the Run
    Listen What the Man Said
    Blackbird
    Arrow Through Me
    Live & Let Die
    With a Little Luck
    London Town
    Silly Love Songs

25. fatoldsun

fatoldsun Forum Resident

You mean "Blue Bird"? :) I love the song too but I think the arrangement and harmonization could have been better.

About "Blackbird", I think everyone might already know that one of the meanings of the Lennon name is black bird in Irish but I'm just opportunely saying it anyway. And "Free As A Bird" is very Beatlesque too. Sorry I'm just a bit carried away with my favourite bird theme.

Back to the topic, I LOVE "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five" and Beatles-quality or not, I think it better than a certain amount of Bealtes songs. I actually prefer it to "Band on the Run" and enjoy immensely both the album and One Hand Clapping versions.

For those who haven't heard or watched it:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    DEAN OF ROCK and snowman872 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.