David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Letterman was actually responsible for two short-lived series that she starred in, and she had been on there a bunch of times, but I dunno what happened.

2. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I wish he had Jeff Altman come on in the last few weeks. Those old youtube clips of him on Letterman make me laugh out loud.

Dan C likes this.
  3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I'm sorry if this was already posted in this thread but I must have missed it. What a great tribute by Jon Stewart.

Erik Tracy, Mr. H and vamborules like this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah I was hoping to see her a couple of weeks ago before all the A listers. She and Dave have great chemistry.

5. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

darkmass, Jrr and Billy Infinity like this.
  6. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

They were tied at the hip and he (Dave) brought out a lot obscure (relative to the mainstream) comedian friends for one last "goodbye" during the last month. Makes one wonder if something didn't go awry between Dave and she...

7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Love hearing Dave talk to Hal Gurnee, Robert "Morty" Morton and Bill Wendell again.

Dan C, IndyTodd and JPagan like this.
  8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Well, at least until the ceast and desist from NBC hits...

9. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I'm really sad to not have Dave on tv anymore and I still liked the current show. However, I'll admit that I'm definitely enjoying watching the old show from the 80's. It's been so long since I've seen most of these shows that it really is fresh when I watch it now. I'm just really hoping we continue to have access to the old shows on the net. It would really be tough if those just disappear and there is virtually no access to Dave.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Maybe NBC will back off now. Really no reason at all to pull them down at this point.

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

"We killed two actor/singers! That's like killing four people!!" :laugh::laugh:
    Loved this running gag, and when the band would "trash this joint".

dan c

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The "Morning Show" episode. I loved this when I was a kid. Just amazed me what they'd come up with. Back then this was so unique and daring, and I still think it holds up.

dan c

13. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I can't stop watching this!

Brilliant stuff!

14. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh! She was very funny but just kind of vanished years ago. Ok, not even kind of. Totally vanished. Her CBS show Letterman helped develop was quite funny but a ratings disaster. I think it's something that could've found life on cable or maybe Hulu or Netflix these days, but was way out of place on CBS in the 90s.

dan c

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I don't think Paul's role was supposed to be very large when they started. Watch the first season or so and he hardly talks at all. I recall an interview with Paul many years ago, back when they were still at NBC I think, and he talked about how he started to make little remarks on his own and Dave seemed to like it. Eventually of course he became the talk show second banana, but in that totally weird, wonderful and ironic Letterman way.

As a big fan since the early 80s I'll admit that Paul's schtick seemed to get in the way more than it helped during the last half of their CBS run. Just like the show in general, I think everyone went at it so long they stopped really trying and just settled into a safe and cozy groove.

dan c

16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It doesn't seem that NBC is spending the time and effort to claim copyright on YouTube Letterman clips. There are oodles of them. At this point I think he's off their radar and it's just as well.

dan c

OldSoul likes this.
  17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Good for us too.

OldSoul and Dan C like this.
  18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

19. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I was viewing some old clips on YouTube starting with the flirting montages, and was taken aback by just how overt it was between Dave and Julia Roberts, so much so that I am somewhat surprised that those two didn't have some sort of relationship outside of the show. Dave would tell her almost immediately how stunning she looked, and she seemingly could not resist fanning his flames and demanding some lip service from him. Makes me wonder what may have occurred behind the scenes.

OldSoul likes this.
  20. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

21. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Another one who use to be on a lot; Charles Grodin. I would've thought he would have been on during the last month of shows. Same for Richard Simmons.
    Sorry if these have already been brought up

MRamble likes this.
  22. music4life

music4life Senior Member

While checking Bonnie Hunts wikipedia page it seems she's consistantly made bad choices in her TV roles. Even turning down on offer for SNL in the early 90s. The only real success has been a talk show in 2006. She's faired much better in her film roles...

23. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Though I found it enjoyable it wasn't around that long.

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Great stuff in here thanks!

25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Man I used to love Dave so much. That NBC show was something else.

But like many of us, I had stopped watching a long time ago. He was grumpy, boring and the writers were giving him some terrible material. No wonder he could no longer compete with Jay, or Jimmy or whoever. He was no longer trying at the interviews either, the same boring crap of 'how is your summer?', 'how many kids?', 'what are their ages?'; many times I started watching and quickly switched channels.

I have no doubt in my mind that he was forced to retire and it was the right call. Even the last show was boring. But he was the best at some point and nobody has come close to match his genius.

rockclassics and rburly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.