Dave Edmunds- A True Rock & Roll Treasure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockinlazys, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident Thread Starter

I first saw Rockpile( Nick Lowe) in the killer triple bill with Elvis Costello/ Rockpile/ Mink DeVille and latter as headliners but as special as those where Daves Rock & Roll Revue with Gram Parker and in my mind one of the all timers Dion was just as rewarding. As for his recorded output it can be funny, poignant, truthful and just plain rockin'. I enjoy all of his LP's. Rockpile was a blast of fresh air in the early '70s, GET IT was a perfect record for 1977, twangin...is just what it says " Dave Edmunds With Instrumental Accompaniment"! I can go on and on but I hope you get what I am getting at Dave Edmunds is a Rock & Roll Treasure in my mind and ears. Just wondering if you music NUTS at SHMF dig Dave and if yes is your answer, give him a shout out...

2. zen

zen Senior Member

Funny, you brought this up. Last night, I played all my Rockpile related music (from a CD-R that I put together many years ago).......and it was one gem after another!

Tonight, it's the actual Rockpile album.

levi and rockinlazys like this.
  3. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

I'll toss in a :righton: for Dave....and Dave related projects. Rockpile has always been a favorite. I also remember when "Information" was a constant on MTV for a time.

levi and rockinlazys like this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

My first exposure to Dave was my older brother's LP "Blues Helping" by Love Sculpture - Dave's '60s Psych/Rock/Blues power trio. He was a phenomenal guitar wizard, operating in some realm between early Eric Clapton and Alvin Lee. As a young wannabe guitarist, I took to him instantly.

I bought his first solo LP - "Rockpile" - when it was released. "I Hear You Knockin'" was already a huge US hit (John Lennon even name-dropped it as a favorite). "Rockplie" was a real revelation, as it revealed Dave's true strength as an interpreter of early Roots Rock genres. He was so much more than a hot guitar slinger. To this day, that "Rockpile" LP stands out as one of the all-time great Rock LPs.

Tommyboy, MONOLOVER, hominy and 3 others like this.
  5. Love Dave. Wish he and Nick could work together again. Did Dave ever forgive Nick for sleeping with Dave's wife? That put the end to Rockpile quicker than anything else.

Octowen and rockinlazys like this.
  6. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

Just for kicks....

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I just watched the video for Slipping Away. Great song. I loved it in '83.

Sammy Banderas and A. Scrounger like this.
  8. sami

sami Mono still rules

Love everything he did related to Rockpile and Nick Lowe. If you want a left field treasure look for the Carlene Carter album called Musical Shapes, with Rockpile smoking throughout the record, and Edmunds singing a duet with Carter as well. A great, rocking record.

9. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Wish I could "Like" this post a thousand times. :cool:

10. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I've seen Dave & Rockpile in concert numerous times and he's on my list of all-time fave artists. 'Get It' has ranked as one of my Top Ten fave albums since it came out in '77. I wish someone would remaster it properly, using the original UK LP as reference.

wwaldmanfan, bababooey and sami like this.
  11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

What's the source of this story? Never heard that one over the years and I'm a big fan of both.

Paul W likes this.
  12. I don't remember. Read it years ago when trying to find out what first caused the rift between the two of them. Google it and maybe you'll find it.

I had already read that Lowe sided with Jake Riveria and Edmunds did not over a disagreement that Edmunds had with Riveria as well.

Las time they worked together was, what, 1990? Too bad they couldn't continue.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Paul W likes this.
  13. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Love Dave Edmunds, way underrated.
    Great producer too. Flamin Groovies Shake Some Action,

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Love both Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe. They had a string of great albums throughout the 70's.

Paul W likes this.
  15. My mistake my wife reminded me thst it was after Dave produced Nick's album in 1990 that he is alleged to have had the affair.

16. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

Not a big fan of his rockabilly/new wave stuff but his interpretations of classical works on Love Sculpture's "Forms and Feelings" is mind blowing. Along with Alvin Lee one of the first shredders.

17. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

One of my all-time favourites. Such a shame he's considered a one-hit wonder in North America.

18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very true. The only rumor I've heard regarding their rift is that Dave and Nick allegedly had an unresolved disagreement over finances, which was resolved during the late 1980s. I would love to see Dave and Nick work together again, even if it was for a limited reunion of Rockpile. guitarist Billy Bremner remains very active, although drummer Terry Williams doesn't seem to be playing live gigs. I don't believe Terry even was part of the more recent tour with Dave and Billy from a few years ago.

Paul W and levi like this.
  19. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

The fretwork on "Farandole" is simply mind blowing. Edmunds was a machine in the studio, which he took to great extremes on his early solo albums. He practically made it a science.

Paul W and melstapler like this.
  20. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Almost the same experience here. Heard "Blues Helping" at a friends place and was caught. Next was "Rockpile" while "Forms And Feelings" came much later to me, about the same time as "Seconds Of Pleasure". I've kept all four albums since - love the combination of skill, catchy melodies and positive feelings. Makes me happy :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Which makes the "All Men Are Liars" track that much more ironic.

Paul W and wayneklein like this.
  22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Me too:cheers:

rockinlazys and levi like this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Dave Edmund is one of the rockn roll greats-love most of his stuff ecspecially Get it and the Rockpile album. He also seems to be a very stubborn kind of fellow

Paul W and rockinlazys like this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Since his health problems, Dave isn't into the touring and rocking thing as much anymore. I don't like his instrumental stuff, but I guess he's entitled to play new stuff after all this time of doing Chuck-ish frenzied stuff. He could pull together a great odds and ends comp if he wanted to--there's soundtrack songs, the two songs left off Twangin, and some acetates that some odd woman who had a fan site used to display.
    I saw him on a hot night in the 80's, packed house, he and the band played like mad dogs pretty much non stop for over an hour, one fast thing after another, no talking or pausing, everyone left covered in sweat and happy.
    As for Nick, no way. Years ago, Dave called Nick and a hole in a Goldmine interview and said he would never work with him ever again under any condition.

Paul W likes this.
  25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.