Concert Snobs, Can't stand em!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Om, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm not saying that late-comers should push their way up front. My point was that the density of the crowd up front should be at least equal to that in the back. Everyone pays the same ticket price and when people are coming in from the rear at show time it should tighten-up throughout the venue. Some people resist that, they expect to maintain the same elbow room they were enjoying an hour before the opening act took the stage. I've seen general admission turf wars get a little too "entitled" from both sides of the equation, and I've attended a couple thousand shows in my lifetime.

Having said that, I was at the midpoint of the main floor of Rough Trade last night... probably 20-feet back from the stage. At one point a drunk young woman plowed-into my back fighting her way forward. She stopped in front of me, swilling her can of beer. She was swaying drunkenly and my back still hurt... if she'd lost her balance and fallen backwards I was planning to step out of her way and let her hit the floor.

So sure, we all have our limits. :angel:

Zeki likes this.
  2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

There's dancing at a CSN concert?

3. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Good lord how things have changed ... sigh.

Marvin and Brett44 like this.
  4. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music Thread Starter

I see. At least I'll get to tell my grandkids I saw the real CSN in concert. I'm sure we all appreciate anything these older bands throw at us even if it is subpar from their past selves. I appreciate that their still willing to put on a show. Some do age like a fine wine though :uhhuh:. An old friend of mine told me "for some it's the past, for some it's still a way of life". Do you enjoy going to see any older acts?

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  5. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

I only stand up for shows. I don't care about people behind me.. it's a rock n roll show. I went to a Slash show and this guy 3x my size told me to sit down because his kid couldn't see (I didn't look to see how old his kid was). After much arguing and threats from him I basically told him to F off and I stood up for the entire show.

Guy E and Om like this.
  6. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music Thread Starter

Just Saw what's left of The Who in Antlantic City somewhat near the stage. I was hoping for a wild night and you bet it was. Had to wrestle a drunk guy to get my seat back, stood the whole time, people taking off shirts twirling them in the air, people holding up signs, lighters, flashlights, haha! I was swirlin around in circles with the air guitar, the smell in the air :uhhuh: Totally different atmosphere! Roger screamed his way through half the songs but it was all good. When every guy has a beer in his hand you know it's going to be a good time.

JoeRockhead and SG1 like this.
  7. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

This happened to me several times, most recently at a Clutch show. Each time, the person made a colossal splash. But at Clutch, this woman started dressing me down for not catching her. I told her she outweighed me by 50 lbs, which was probably being nice. Several people later told me how she kept bumping in them all night. I'd get it if it happened in a pit, but there was no pit.

8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Hooray! Throw people in a box! That's more fun than borderline moronic statements!
    YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MY TASTES OR WHEN I GRADUATED!
    Some of us have much broader tastes that encompass all eras and styles. We're infinitely luckier than you!!

You are EXACTLY the kind of poster that has made this forum go downhill content wise.
    But you don't care. There's more like you on the internet. Why don't you go play with them?

Tuco likes this.
  9. spencer1

Judging by some of these posts it seems Lawrence Welk might have passed away too soon.
    He had a nice polite audience.

Jimmy B., Brett44 and Erik B. like this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You seem deeply troubled and inexplicably angry. The fact that you decided to attack me out of nowhere and then got even angrier when I responded is...odd. You have a nice day, now.

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Went to see Noel Gallagher Friday night and if you weren't singing at the top of your lungs during Champagne Supernova and Don't Look Back In Anger, you must've been friggin' dead! One of the best crowds I've seen at a Vegas show

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Good god there are a lot of old farts on here! Complaining about ppl smoking weed or getting drunk at a Rock and Roll concert ? Wtf -- this ain't no classical performance !!!

13. spencer1

As an outside observer your original remark was pretty snarky and insulting there chief.
    His original response was no nastier than yours.

"Anything to add? I'm sorry music ended for you the summer after you graduated from high school, but some of us are luckier than that."
    You gotta admit that one there smells a little arrogant and condescending.

You have to expect to get as good as you give. Seems fair.

Micke Lindahl and O Don Piano like this.
  14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Then maybe you should sell your ticket ? I'm just sayin'

Brett44 likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, I dunno if it's "subpar," maybe they do a great show and did a great show the night you saw 'em -- though in truth I think Stills' voice is pretty much shot, not that he was ever a great singer, but I think his singing is probably pretty much subpar every night these days. It's just a different thing than a 1970 show....which is fine, I mean, what else could it be? I enjoy it for what it is, good, great, bad or indifferent on it's own terms. I love that old timers are still out there doing it. And I love that so many of them continue to write good, new work. I thought in recent years some of my long-time favorites Dylan, Springsteen, Mavis Staples, have done some really good new work. And I'm sure a lot of 'em can put on a great show. I heard the Who Quadrophenia shows were excellent -- I tend to avoid shows at 20K seat theaters so I didn't see that one.

In truth I don't get out to see nearly as much rock music as I used to. I see more jazz and classical on a year in and year out basis. I have seen some older rockers in recent years. In the last 4 or 5 years I've seen John Fogerty, Steely Dan, Bruce Springsteen,Richard Thompson (who I see just about ever time he comes through town), I actually saw one of those Nesmith storyteller shows, saw Emmylou Harris, Mavis Staples, Leon Russell.. Some of those shows have been great. Thompson's always good, I was stunned at how good the Steely Dan show was, Fogerty was great. I was pleasantly surprised, given Leon's recent health problems, what a solid show he turned in. Was it like the '72 Leon shows? Hell no. But I enjoyed it, especially when he told stories. He been at the center of so much rock history, he should write a book. Mavis, she's one of my all time faves since I first saw the Staple Singers in '78 and I think her voice was an absolute marvel, but unfortunately, having seen her a bunch over the last seven or eight years, I've heard her voice decline steadily. It happens, she's 75, it's a rare singer who can keep their voice into their 70s (I heard Placido Domingo doing Cyrano at the Met when he was pushing 70 and he sounded pretty darn good). I'm not sure I'll want to go see her again, she still brings her amazing spirit to the room and her band with Rick Holmstrom is great, but the declining voice is a little sad to hear.

I've seen a lot of jazz musicians at the end of their performing careers, guys who don't play a lot if at all anymore like Ornette Coleman and Sonny Rollins, guys who I saw not long before their deaths like Jim Hall and Paul Motion, many of them were guys I had seen a bunch over the years. I also saw a bunch of guys for the first time long after their career primes and really enjoyed the show -- Muddy Waters, Sly Stone, James Brown, were all guys I didn't get to see until '79, '80 or '81....definitely wasn't '56 or '66 but they were excellent shows all. Other guys I used to see a lot I haven't gone to see in a long time, haven't seen a P.Funk show in close to 20 years I think, used to see P.Funk shows all the time. If you want to see a show where everyone is singing and dancing, where it's a totally participatory, revival-meeting cum dance party setting, go see a P.Funk show. It's a positive catharsis. I used to try to see Aretha Franklin on the rare ocassions when she came to town but after the last show of hers when I saw her do like 30 perfunctory minutes and leave the stage, I was kind of done with that.

16. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

If you want to dance, go in the back.
    Nobody paid to see YOU dance.

Nobody said you can't have fun or express yourself.
    Please do so.
    Just do it somewhere where you're not annoying the **** out of everyone else.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

That wasn't my "original remark"...chief. That was my response to his first unmotivated attack.

18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I thought Stills voice was shot, too. Then I saw them last week.

He's cleaned up his act, lost a lot of weight, & got his voice back to a very good place. And, his guitar licks were fiery!

I was stunned!

As to people wanting to sit - most shows have quiet moments - and, with CSN there's a lot of those! I wonder why anyone would pay the high ticket price, only to talk through the bloody show?

Equally, there were times that they rocked, and folks would stand & dance. Not understanding the difference between the two, and dancing & shouting when nobody else is, is nothing to brag about.

Om likes this.
  19. spencer1

I know. I saw your original "old man" remark (the snarky one I referred to).
    Gotta admit I was kind of insulted myself.
    If this recliner wasn't so damn comfortable I'd grab my cane and come after you myself kiddo.

O Don Piano likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I agree that no one should expect the space/elbow room they might have pre-concert to stay that way. People will fill the spaces closer to the stage - if I choose not to move closer myself, I can't expect there to be a little "cushion" all around me.

I remember when I saw Springsteen in 2009, I had similar spots for both DC and Detroit shows. I was about 50th in line for the pit, and I got about 5 feet from the stage over on Big Man's (RIP) side.

In DC, it was exceedingly civilized pre-show. Everyone left space for others - people had room to sit on the floor and stretch. It was all quite comfortable.

In Detroit, though, people crowded the whole time. It was as packed in the pit at 6 PM as it would be at 8:30 - when the concert actually started!

It was ridiculous - there was no need to be so crammed together so far before showtime. I actually said to one overly close guy "you know the show doesn't start for two hours, right"? He acted like Bruce was already onstage and he needed to be right near him! :help:

Guy E likes this.
  21. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Some of the concerts I went too were absolutely crazy. Garbage and Nightwish was an absolute chaos, in a good way. Don't know if others are into goth rock but its so weird to see the musicians rocking out and the audience standing like they are statues. Some of the others were okay too, but I never went to a concert that had seats except for classical music concerts.

22. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Unfortunately, that is the stone cold truth. My level of general frustration when I come here is definitely going up. It's a shame too, because there's a fair amount of good information here.

O Don Piano likes this.
  23. SG1

SG1 Active Member

In 1987 I went to the Queen Mary Jazz Festival, which started around mid day and went well in to the night, closing with Spyro Gyra. While Spyro was tuning up my brother and I walked from our back seats to the front. An attendant asked if we needed help. We said no, and walked along the front row. Incredibly, two people got up and left at that moment, and we had front row seats!

My brother, a dead head, couldn't believe his ears-he was enthralled with the final act- the group I had really come to see. Spyro sent the magic out to such a level we all- the entire crowd- stood and danced, or at least sort of swayed nearly the whole time. No one could do otherwise. The group was in unison.

JimW likes this.
  24. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

And your point is...?

25. SG1

SG1 Active Member

I attended the Los Angeles Philharmonic in 1990 performing Mahler's 2nd symphony ("Resurrection"). With the orchestra seated the crowd broke into applause in to what appeared to be the conductor (Previn had left the year before). It was a late orchestra member and there were chuckles throughout the group and well as the audience.

The emotional hour and a half performance was done to perfection; absolute tranquility, attractive middle aged women with heads cocked and eyes closed- feeling every last bit. At the end we gave a standing ovation that lasted several minutes...

Tuco, George Blair and Scott Wheeler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.