Led Zeppelin I UK Plum- Anyone dislike it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

One of the reasons I love Zep is because of the sound quality of their albums. Few albums sound as great as the original Zep albums on vinyl.

I have a UK Plum of Zep I. It's a A1/B1 press, just stunning. And I really don't like it. The sound quality just doesn't grab me like the others.

Does anyone else feel this way about the UK Plum Zep I?

As an aside, I broke down and bought the new remaster of Zep I. Haven't played it yet, but am looking forward to comparing them.

In fact, I'll do it on my youtube blog!

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Well, I'd like to hear how you think the two compare. I don't have any UK Plums but I like the new remasters enough I don't feel compelled to hunt them down and pay through the nose on a gamble they might play cleanly.

3. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

All I can say is, if you don't like the the UK Plum, you'll love the remaster. It's certainly a lot more "in your face". For some folks, that's what Zep is about.

4. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I like the Classic reissue.
    More up-front.
    Tastes differ. But the Classic is what gets played.

AaronW likes this.
  5. Guy Gadbois

I have a US MO CCC too. I prefer that one. I've thought of selling my Plum but I can't part with it for historical reasons

6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i got a 2nd press uk plum....
    i think it sounds very much of the time....

all the new remasters and stuff try to make the sound of zepp1 new and "today"

i prefer my slightly lofi but cool sounding uk plum.

7. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

Me too. I also have uk plums of II and III and prefer the US fisrt pressings. The plums sound too mid rangey for my taste, not enough bottom and dynamics. For II, after I got one, the RL is unbeatable, and even the GP is better sounding than the UK plum.

8. Guy Gadbois

I really like my Plum of 3. I like it better than the US.

I have a MO GP for sale of Zep 2 that no one seems to want....but I think it's just as good as the RL.

9. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

For Led Zep III, the Classic reissue of a few years ago beats both the UK and US originals by a good margin.
    I don't know what Bernie Grundman did or whether he was just working from the master tapes, but for my money, he got the most out of the tapes for Led Zep III. More than anyone else.

For LZ 1: The Classic
    For LZ II, the RL
    For LZ III, the Classic
    For LZ IV; the classic or the UK 1st. Love 'em both
    For Physical Graffiti; same, the classic or UK 1st.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.