RIP Jacob Jensen Beogram/Bang and Olufsen Designer at 89

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kayaker, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member Thread Starter

2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The first piece of B&O I owned, a Beomaster 1900 receiver, was his design.

Rest in peace, sir.

[​IMG]

sound chaser and scottpaul_iu like this.
  3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Brilliant designer. Rest in peace.

Colin M likes this.
  4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

What Gary said, RIP.

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

May Jacob rest in peace, we should all hope for such a productive career. We have a wall clock that he designed. It looks like a larger version of the watch (he also designed) that is shown in the NY Times article.

4xoddic likes this.
  6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

A great designer that understood the role of aesthetics in making our lives richer. My Uncle had a full B&O set up and I always coveted the beautiful gear when I a kid.

His designs embody the reason Scandinavian Design" was always considered a high compliment.

4xoddic likes this.
  7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Indeed. B&O was my first stereo. It was beautiful.

4xoddic likes this.
  8. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Was this equipment at the yuppy couples house in the movie Christmas Vacation? Clark destroys it by flinging an ice bullet through their window.

9. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I always see there equipment in magazines like the Robb report and cigar aificiando. They really know there demographic

10. ggergm

Yes, it was this style but whether it was this model, I can't remember. I'd have to see the movie again. I think it was a later version.

B&O twice gutted the receiver, updating its electronics and keeping a wedge shaped receiver in the line for at least fifteen years. There were also various model variants within those three basic chassis.

It's a sign of Bang & Olufsen's reverence for Jacob Jensen's design that while the innards were often changed, they never varied the dimensions of the case by a millimeter. The control buttons were always in the same place, too. You don't mess around with perfection.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have owned two B&O linear trackers and they were both beautifully made ... :righton:

4xoddic and ggergm like this.
  12. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I had a roommate in the mid 70s with a B & O system. It not only looked great, it sounded great.
    Alas, the only B & O equipment I ever had was their bottle opener.
    [​IMG]

ggergm likes this.
  13. ggergm

We used to hand these out as schwag at my stereo store. A box of 100 cost us $25. We easily gave away thousands of them over the years. Everyone got a B&O bottle opener, even the kids buying car stereos. They put them right on their keychains. I wonder why? ;)

I still use one as my everyday bottle opener. It remains the most commonly stolen piece of B&O.

14. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

Had to pull out my B&O catalog from 1972 to pay my respects. My first real "system" was a Yamaha CA600, Beogram 3000 & Beovox 3702s. When it was stolen, I got the the same gear. Those Rosewood 3702s await surround replacement, again. They'll match well with my Yamaha A-S2000.

ggergm likes this.
  15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Yes, a later version with more components.

16. coopmv

These days, it appears B&O has become a major supplier of the Class D amplifier modules, which are gradually adopted by a number of audio manufacturers, both here and in Europe to augment their amplifer designs. The latest Class D amplifiers are much better than those that hit the market ten years ago. I am tempted to go for one in my study ...

4xoddic likes this.
  17. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Yes, they put some financial muscle behind ICEPower as used in my superb Wyred 4 Sound power amp and several others and you say.

(Like ggerm I started with a Beomaster 1900, a truly beautiful device - now full circle back to a B&O based system.)

18. coopmv

I have read some good review on certain Wyred 4 Sound power amp. I believe Wyred 4 Sound is some California outfit and its prices are very good for American-made amps. Unfortunately, I do not need an amp > 200 watts/ch.

19. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I still use my B&O TX2 for needledrops. They made some great equipment back in the day.

4xoddic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.