When's the Last Time You got Complimented on your Collection or System?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I have 2 young kids and my family has been getting to know their friends families so we are making new friends.
    News of my "music room" has gotten out and the kids dads always want to hang out when kids have "play dates". They say they are envious of my collection.

Zeki, AxC. and Steel Horse like this.
  2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Not many people care about my system or collection. Several years ago I was getting a carpet installed and one of the installers, in his twenties, commented on my turntable that it was 'cool' and his father had/has one.

Some time after that I had someone over and she was totally unimpressed. I showed her my CD collection and she said, "That's it? I thought you would have more."

:sigh:

Hot Ptah likes this.
  3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Never - I lead a lonely pathetic existence and no one comes over.

When I play music the wife and kids retreat upstairs to their earbud based devices.

:p

4. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

I patted myself on the back just this morning for the arrangment of not only the KLH speakers to maximize stereo separation in my living room, but the artful display of my cd's, box sets, digipaks and otherwise...

Zeki, Robert C and ukrules like this.
  5. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

It wasn't a direct compliment, but I consider it a compliment:

Last week my sister was visiting and I wanted to show her some music (she claimed that she never listened to any stevie wonder). When the first track started she was immediately startled and looked around. She said she had no idea where the sound was coming from. The volume was fairly low also as it was kinda late. Didn't think my system was all the impressive, but I'll take it haha.

Zeki and fitzrik like this.
  6. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

I'm always surprised how most people shrug if all off. Anyone walking into my house knows music dominates the landscape. If I'm home on the weekend, the stereo is on. Also, my speakers are huge. I think it all sounds fantastic but very few care. Some even go out of their way to dismiss it, "it all sounds the same to me." Or, "I damaged my ears through years of using a hammer drill. I can't hear the difference." I sometimes wonder if I'm fooling myself. However, I'm listening to a great set of T-Bone Walker's music, on a rainy, melancholy Memorial Day, and am amazed at how great it all sounds. His guitar is so clear and beautifully understated. Oh well, my stereo and music collection is one of the great joys in my life. It's a privilege I'm so fortunate!

POGunter, Imagine70 and theclogs2002 like this.
  7. Exile On My Street

Only music heads like us would really care. If I walked into someone's house and they wanted to show me their massive library I would kindly compliment them and think to myself, "Who needs so many books cluttering up space like that? What's the point once you've read them?"

And of course I'm looking at the shelving and imagining how many CDs or albums I would be able fit on them.

Zeki, fitzrik, ARK and 2 others like this.
  8. Exile On My Street

Slightly off topic..Which T-Bone Walker collection is that? I'm looking for a really good, comprehensive set.

9. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

A girlfriend recently said I had great equipment !

BNell, L.P., Adam9 and 4 others like this.
  10. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

No compliments (one lonely teardrop rolls down cheek - haha). However, I enjoy my "music room" so much that I'll sometimes go in and just look through my albums without even playing them - enjoying the artwork and the liner notes, etc. I'm a dork.

BNell, Zeki, Coricama and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

I'm with the crowd who's system impresses people who get their music via computer speakers, car stereo or ear buds. My $5000, 7.2 hybrid system would impress few here ;)

12. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Must be ages ago someone expressed compliments. Most people ignore it. I suppose, (nearly) 40 is the wrong age to receive any credit for (kind of) odd hobbies. Many people at this period of life seem to be very conformist. This seems to get easier with age, so there is some hope for the future.

L.P. likes this.
  13. The system itself--most folks have no idea what it is beyond the blu-Ray player and speakers. One of my daughter's friends asked why I would spent so much on a system like that when I could just listen on my iPod. I explained that different formats for different environments.

Collection? Usually I hear how diverse it is from jazz, classical, rock, new wave, indie, Some rap a bit of hip-hop, etc.

14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I don't know the last time, but my favourite was many years ago when a friend looked around at the framed cinema posters, signed albums, shelves of books, records, box sets, CDs and DVDs, plus all the random memorabilia and ephemera, taking it all in, before turning to me and asking, "... is there anything you DON'T collect?"

L.P., Zeki and Imagine70 like this.
  15. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Buy what??, are they new? :D

16. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

It's always the worst case scenario when a woman says she thought it would be bigger...

17. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

My system is in a closet. So nobody can mess with it. They often are amazed at the size of the speakers. Paradigm studio 100. that's it

18. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

I am always amused when I watch the eyes of younger folks that visit and I invite into the listening room.

I played the MOFI Workingmans Dead for a 25 year old last week and her eyes nearly popped out. It is kinda sad that many have NO frame of reference for good music pumped through good speakers in a dedicated room.

The other common reaction is a total lack of understanding as to WHY I would want to go into a room, close the door, and listen to music. Too bad really.

Zeki likes this.
  19. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Sorry for the diversion: T-Bone Walker, The Ultimate Collection: 1929-1957. And it's only $21!! I'm sure someone at the Forum will claim there's better but I think the set is fantastic!

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Coll...eywords=t-bone+walker+the+ultimate+collection

Exile On My Street likes this.
  20. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

I think 10 years ago whe have visitors and i played Franky goes to Hollywood Welcome to the pleassure dome
    on cd , and the boy friend of my college thinks i have other version of the cd ,so he went. to his car to get his cd
    and played on my hifi equipment .
    It's not the cd but the hifi equipment.
    After the cd's whe played the lp ......

Imagine70 and Robert C like this.
  21. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

?????????????????

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

A friend dropped-in unexpectedly about a month ago and we ended up hanging out all afternoon, having dinner at a nearby Thai restaurant and then spent the evening drinking and listening to music. At one point I had a Bert Jansch album on and he said, "I always hear such interesting things when I come over to your place... you have sophisticated tastes."

That was nice to hear. :)

He's not a music geek, but he's just a few years younger than me, so we speak a common generational language.

Most of my friends are music people and they have big collections too. But if a friend of my wife's comes by they look at it as something of a mystery. Sometimes they say they like music too and list some soundtracks or something, but it's never a conversation starter.

Friends of my daughter's are occasionally impressed. One girl last year was drop-jawed that I had some Joy Division rarities, the flex-disc of Komakino/Incubation, the die-cut New Order records. I showed her the first Durutti Column album with the sandpaper cover that Ian Curtis may (or may not) have personally glued together to make a few extra bucks working for Factory Records... she asked if she could remove it from the plastic pouch and held it like it was the dead sea scrolls. I thought she was going to burst into tears.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Zeki, Imagine70 and fitzrik like this.
  23. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Sorta'....but they are perfect...music...foreva'.....you should try them?

Gasman1003 likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Never remember a direct compliment, but at our parties I usually run two systems - one in the garage (Yamaha C80/M80/Bose 901's) and my main system. Some will say "I want to hear this on the good stereo" as they make their pick. A compliment?

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Never. Many people don't seem to care for a good sound system, I suspect my collection is too vast and/or eclectic and I get the Blank Stare when I start about the dynamics of certain cd/lp issues. I feel like an alien when it comes to music. My wife seems to be the only one sharing the same interests, which is special :cool:.

Guy E and Tornado Red like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.