Who in your mind is the greatest female artist of all time? (Rock era)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Nina Simone

Cypressgreek and soundfanz like this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Maybe I'm wrong but have I not seen Sheryl Crow mentioned yet. Think about her for a moment....singer,songwriter,multi-instrumentalist,bass,guitar,keys,producer,entertainer,and more. If I had a band and needed a great female artist I don't think I could do better than Sheryl Crow. She could have made it in the music industry on many different levels.

If I'm thinking true artist who can conjure up a great song and perform it in a unique way that's not a copy of previous artists or genres then hands down it's Joni.

There are so many categories you could put females in...singer,songwriter,performer,etc.. but I like the multi-talented ones like Christine Perfect Mcvie.

3. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I think it has to be Madonna. She is the central figure in the emergence of what we currently call "pop" music, the most popular sort of music today. She was wildly popular in her time and continues to be today, and from the start her music had the characteristic qualities of current pop music: electronic instrumentation, sprightly production, frank lyrics, an emphasis on dance, and a more plastic vocal style that isn't as theatrical as traditional pop and doesn't swing as much as R&B. Different enough from disco to be distinct from it--lighter, springier, and retaining fewer elements of R&B--but similar enough to be of a part with more recent music in the vein of Beyonce or Katy Perry. She is practically an Elvis figure for today's pop music.

SITKOL'76, ARK and Oatsdad like this.
  4. Joni Mitchell is docked points for making dubious comments about Bob Dylan!

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Ella Fitzgerald.

Yes, I realize that she wasn't a songwriter, but her phrasing was perfect and she was hip to the bebop thing.

What a voice.

6. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I'm not sure how the OP can ask for the "greatest female artist of all time", then limit it to the "rock era."

That said, within the rock era, I'd go with Tina Turner.

Otherwise, Billie Holiday.

7. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Tough one. But if it's only one, then Joni.

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  8. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

Nina Simone.

9. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Who is she/he?

mr.datsun likes this.
  10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Siouxsie Sioux (real name Susan Janet Ballion), the lead singer of "Siouxsie and the Banshees".
    Definitely one of my favorites!

PHILLYQ likes this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Kate Bush

12. Highway819

Highway819 Forum Resident

Carole King, amazing songwriter and great voice

Sondek and Lucidae like this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Bonnie Raitt

14. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

As a complete artist, no one beats Joni Mitchell, although Sandy Denny is right up there, too.

Best performer/interpreter? Much more difficult. No one woman has dominated rock/pop vocals the way Ella Fitzgerald dominated jazz vocals, it's more a matter of individual taste. Dusty Springfield deserves more respect than she usually gets, although if it were a contest Aretha would win. I'd like to throw in a vote for Tracey Thorn, though, because probably no one else will.

CrankSomeFrank, zebop and Williamson like this.
  15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I finally picked up her first solo album "Writer" not expecting much, but found it to be surprisingly strong. Some of the songs are real gems. Even before Tapestry Carole was churning out hits like it was nobody's business.

Sondek, 905 and Highway819 like this.
  16. I forgot about Sandy Denny. Definitely one of the great female singers.

17. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Linda Ronstadt

helter likes this.
  18. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My Top Three Greatest Female Artists of All Time:

Diana Ross
    Connie Francis
    Brenda Lee

20. Someone's already mentioned Mick Jagger, now Prince, what about Morrissey?

Cypressgreek likes this.
  21. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Brenda you mean

Cloudbuster likes this.
  22. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I could go with the herd saying Fitzgerald or Simon but i just don't care about them, i do care about this:

[​IMG]

23. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

As an artist, I would nominate Joni. To stretch the definition, she even did the artwork for many of her album covers.
    As an interpreter, Linda Ronstadt ranks very high in my book.

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  24. I don't know that she's the greatest but she is in my top 10....

Kate Bush
    Judee Sill
    Bonnie Raitt
    Joni Mitchell
    Laura Nyro
    Madonna (even though I'm not much of a fan)
    Janis joplin
    Amy Winehouse
    PJ Harvey
    Carly Simon
    Donna Summer
    Lucinda Williams
    Sade
    Linda Ronstandt
    Adele

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-female-singer-songwriters.html?frame=2384344

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  25. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

I'll answer "great" as "most influential".

It is apparently understood that Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon are all pretty important to the development of the singer-songwriter movement. What if Carole King keeps writing songs and never sings them? Mitchell probably still succeeds. What if Carly Simon enjoys marriage instead of complaining about it? Mitchell probably still succeeds. What if Joni Mitchell stays home and raises her daughter? Maybe Carly Simon takes off. Maybe Carole King becomes an early major player in the singer-songwriter movement. (I personally think that King is more likely to accomplish this than Simon, but opinions may vary.) I don't think either of them makes the singer-songwriter movement's success any more certain than Joni Mitchell does.

Given: The singer-songwriter concept is the most important development for women in music to arise in the rock era.
    Given: The Lilith Fair era is the high watermark of the singer-songwriter concept for women.

Without Sarah McLachlan, there is no Lilith Fair.
    Without Kate Bush, there is no Sarah McLachlan.
    Without Joni Mitchell, there is no Kate Bush.

Therefore, Joni Mitchell is the greatest female artist of the rock era.

I realize that Kate Bush's UK success may not owe anything to Joni Mitchell, but I think that something needs to connect Joni Mitchell to Sarah McLachlan, and Kate Bush is what I came up with. Without the Mitchell-Bush connection, I'm not sure what the music world looks like for women other than acts following in the shoes of teen idol singers or genre acts from Nashville or Detroit.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Joni Mitchell.

Nikoline likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.