Opinions regarding Bang & Olufsen turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ocean56, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jreames0529

jreames0529 New Member

I think the reason for b/o automatic tables are because true audio turntable lovers do not skip from one song to another. They start there favorite or new vinyl and play it from start to finish. Just my opinion.i know that from experience because I would jump to my favorite. Then I started listening to the whole album and was astonished at what great music I was missing.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

I have never had the problem related by the OP because I have never liked the look of B&O turntables. To me, they look like toys.

Doug

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I have a 4002, it's really heavy, sounds great, well built. There is that little issue where if the linear tracking motor moves the arm between tracks or during a quite passage you can hear the rumble of the arm motor, subtle, but it's there..... I got mine to use as a 2nd table on my main system, for when I want an auto.

5. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

I have a Beogram TX with MMC 5 cart that works great asides from the metal lift up lid above the button controls that has come unattached from the hinge (seemed to be glued with some sort of sticky spongy strip that has aged beyond repair). What's even better it was free from my fatherinlaw !

o0OBillO0o likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

B&O is good, if you like the B&O plug and play mindset and the options offered. No replacement styli by users, automation, no tweakability. Proprietary cartridges (SoundSmith makes them currently). High quality given those parameters if you play modern near perfect pressings on them and little else. I like the SoundSmith cartridges in 1/2" mount livery but also like choices to handle all the records I play (which range from 1930's transcriptions to modern audiophile discs). That said, the B&O Beograms are high quality tables for average high quality home use but not suited for everyone. The Beogram 4000 is easily a recommended choice if you want one. Cartridges are very expensive. But very excellent.

LitHum05 likes this.
  7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

That door over the garage for the tonearm on this turntable always came unglued. Same thing happened with my B&O 8002, which has basically the same physical layout. It can be re-glued.

Nice turntable for free. I like mine. I'm using a Soundsmith SMMC-2 on my platter.

Welcome to the forum, Kubricker. :)

Kubricker likes this.
  8. Kubricker

Thanks man. Yeah I've thought about using some bonding cement to re-glue it. Also the arm on it that carries the light doesn't seem to be doing its job, ie detecting the size of the record or even if there's one on the platter!

9. ggergm

Mine's broken on that one, too. I just checked and there is a Bang & Olufsen store in Atlanta. They use these folks for service:

Modular Electronics Inc.
    11205 Alpharetta Hwy. Ste. B-3
    Roswell, Ga.30076
    (770) 410-1122

They would at least be worth a phone call.

A B&O service center in Chicago (my closest) fixed my garage door and one of these days, I'll have them take a look at the record recognition system. Parts are pretty much unavailable but sometimes a service center will have a donor turntable lying around for spare parts.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Kubricker likes this.
  10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I sold B&O tables back in the day. A lot of them. Nice tables for most people.

I don't care for most B&O gear, but I wish they would start making tables again.

11. Kubricker

Yeah think I've contacted them before. I wonder if cleaning underneath that arm with some alcohol and a soft applicator would do any good? Probably not...

12. ggergm

I'd keep alcohol away from anything involving a turntable. Maybe I'd use it to clean off rubber residue from a motor pulley but even then, I'd probably use something more volatile.

I seriously doubt our problems could be solved by doing this, anyway. If it sometimes saw the record, then, yes, maybe a cleaning might be in order but my turntable doesn't even see the spokes on the platter and that's how the record size selector system worked.

These are 25-30 year old turntables. Parts fail. Circuits go out of alignment. It's more likely to be something like that.

Kubricker likes this.
  13. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Taking my 4002 to the shop Thursday. Wish me luck :agree:

14. Tim Ransom

Tim Ransom New Member

Matt! Help. I've been searching for an answer to a problem I'm having with my Beogram 4002. I was given Jack White's new album Lazaretto as a gift and it is filled with trickery (secret tracks under the label, different speeds, etc). Side A can only be played backwards! Is it possible to do that with the 4002? Your post above suggests there is a workaround, but I am afraid of damaging the linear arm! If I place the needle at the end of the side will it travel backwards without harming the tonearm?

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Hmmmm....tricky, but I think this *might* work:

You know how there are two arms on the 4002, one containing the sensor and one containing the actual tonearm/stylus? Try using the < (not the <<) button once you get out close the "end" of the record, near the label. Very gradually, in small little bursts, (dut.....dut.....dut......dut...) get that tonearm out to the continuous groove adjacent to the label (the would-be runout groove). (If you move it quickly in that part of the record, it will trigger the auto-return, so be patient.) Once you have the stylus right about that groove, move the hit the drop button and let the stylus drop down into the runout (run-in?) groove. This is how I've played the continuous stuff at the end of Sgt. Pepper. You might need to try a couple of times to get it right, but I'm guessing that it actually will continue to track the record, as the turntable does handle off-center cuts well, and can make adjustments as needed in either direction to maintain something close to a zero-degree tracking angle.

You may need to cover the sensor with a little piece of index card or something, but I don't think so.

Please report back. Good luck!

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That Jack White LP is not playable on automatic players of any kind unless there is an option to turn the automatic features off a la some Luxman models.

17. MLutthans

I think it MAY be doable with the Beogram 4002. I'm able to get it to stay "looped" in the Sgt. Pepper groove without triggering the auto-return, but it's tricky. Left to its own ways, the 4002 will kick it out immediately, but with a little TLC, it will play.

18. I owned a b and o turntable . The rx2 . Actually owned 2 of them. One with a mm-3 and one with mmc-4. Neither combo sounded better than my Realistic lab 400 turntable with a denon dl160 cart. I believe lack of carts is a huge down side.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thanks, MLutthans. Some automatics can be tricked into letting something play. But often not consistent nor easy.

20. ggergm

I've got to show you guys what I've been doing today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a B&O TX with an MMC2.

You've heard of cars that are barn finds? This is a garage find.

Stored in two different garages for 25 years, it was a mess. Panels were off. It didn't spin and the arm was frozen. The only saving grace was it was stored in the factory packaging and no mice had gotten to it. I got it running a month ago, cleaning and lubing it at that time, where it sat until today. This afternoon I started with the arm, aligning it in many ways, including tangency, azimuth, height and tracking force (there's actually a counterweight hidden on this thing - who knew?). I adjusted 33 and 45 to dead nuts on, which is a bit of a pain. I reattached the loose panels and shined up the dustcover and the aluminum. Last I replaced the two belts, one for the arm and another for the platter, before reassembling and detailing it. It came out phenomenally well, as you can see.

I'd never gotten into a TX this deep before. The service manual is readily available but it took some courage. To adjust tonearm height, you have to get to a screw on the bottom of the arm assembly. The tonearm rests on two shiny rails. While it just sat on one, it was firmly attached to the other. There are no screws to loosen it from the rail and absolutely nothing in the service manual about removing the arm. I had to guess it just snapped on and off. That would be typical B&O. My only course was to try pulling it off the rail. Talk about scary. Major league scary. The arm came off with a jerk and a snap. I had the tonearm assembly in my hand and no idea of how to get it back on, if I even could. Fortunately B&O was smarter than me, with serviceability always a big point for them. I got it back working within 15 minutes, screw adjusted so the tonearm height was set correctly by the manual. Still, I was sweating bullets.

The table works and sounds great. First time, even.

I'm going to run this TX/MMC2 combo for a week in my system after which I'll recheck the arm adjustments. Then I'm going to sell it for my buddy. I might try the Hardware forum here but I have another friend whom I'm pretty sure will demand I sell it to him. We'll see where it ends up.

All and all, a great day of being a geek. :nyah:

BTW, my vigorish for restoring the 'table and selling it? A new old stock MMC1 that was in the garage for 25 years, too. Free. I mounted it on my 8002 a month ago. It sounds golden.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    wowliksom, hifisoup, gss and 7 others like this.
  21. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

I bought one wholesale for $600!....back in the 70's. Worst turntables I ever owned.
    My speakers and amp had to be in separate rooms because of the acoustical feedback
    I was getting....and the price of the a replacement stylus was so expensive...so I got rid of it.....replaced it with a $78.00 Acoustic Research TT. Speakers and listener happy again. Currently I use a Numark TT...also plays 78rpm discs.

sushimaster likes this.
  22. MLutthans

Just curious: which model B&O had all that feedback?

23. Kubricker

That's what I have. Where did you get the belts from? Or can you use any flat belt for the platter that's the right length?

24. ggergm

Both belts are available here:

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/bando.aspx

The tonearm belt is listed as the BG8002 tonearm belt. The two turntables share a lot of tonearm hardware.

They seem to have them in stock, at least a month ago they did.

To replace the drive belt requires just removing the platter. The tonearm belt requires a complete disassembly. If you are interest in going that far, PM me and I'll send you the service manual and a couple of pointers.

25. Kubricker

Yeah never even seen the tonearm belt! I would be interested in the service manual. I think I've mentioned before my arm with the light on doesn't detect the record size any longer but fixing that is probably way beyond my expertise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.